Kola Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Kola « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edenson
Regular Poster
Username: Edenson

Post Number: 37

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is for Kola Boof, well actually, for anyone with some advice... I live in Florida and I want to be an actor... I really don't know where to get started... I've been on craigslist looking for little parts in short films just to you know, build up my resume... I'm going to be taking acting classes soon, and I'm thinking of moving to New York sometime in the future... But it's all still so confusing... It's like I have all of these things going on but I don't really know where to start, who to contact, or where to find a legitamate agent... Anyway, if you could tell me about some good websites maybe, because a lot of them are a bunch of BS, or how you started out acting, and how you got your book deals, and how do you network because I don't think I'm too good at that... Anyone is welcome to answer... Just tryin to get some ideas so that I can get my dream off the ground...

o yea... Kola will you ever be coming to Miami on a book tour??? I would love to hear you speak...
Thx... edenson

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2286

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to move to Los Angeles or go to N.Y. and try to do theatre.

Personally, I would come to L.A. Break-in bit parts are booming for black males right, and being a male, you won't have to worry about colorism. All you need do is strut and seriously HONE your acting talents--whatever you have.

I'm not coming to Miami, Edenson. Not for a long time. But it's sweet you want to see me.

Bone Crusha
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 08:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since when was Kola Boof an actress. LOL. I looked her up on IMDB and ain't see no credits. I think you're asking the wrong person, brotha.

Just get focused. If you are good at what you do, the world will come ot you, homie. one.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 311

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When does the world measure it's standards to a mere american website?
Arab B-movies aren't on the IMDB register anyway. A lame selection of film roles based on racist typecasting doesn't make her any less of an actress. You might as well denounce Hattie Mcdaniel's talent because she played a bunch of maids.

Don't you have anything better to do than mudsling,"homie"?

Kola

Post Number: 2291

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 01:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx, Roxie.

I'm actually HOPING that people will forget I was ever an actress

--and focus on me as a literary writer. LOL

Bone Crusha
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 01:45 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm just saying -- kola ain't no actress. And yes, pretty much every film is in IMDB that has some type of distribution. If you're gonna asked people questions, ask folks who are doing it. kola is not. simple. Would you ask George Foreman about how to be a Computer Programmer? Damn, Roxie, ease up of Kola's private parts.

Kola

Post Number: 2292

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excuse me Bone Crusha,

But I've appeared in more than 45 Arabic films, in Libya, Morocco and Egypt.

They're not available in the United States, thank God.

I'm not going to address you again.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 313

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

---Damn, Roxie, ease up of Kola's private parts.--

Bone, I'll do as I please, thank you.

Kola

Post Number: 2293

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also Roxie,

Because I live very close to L.A. and a lot of my friends are "actors" and famous people, Edenson thought I might have some advice.

He asked the ENTIRE BOARD actually, not just Kola.

What a bone-brain this Crusha bafoon is.

Edenson
Regular Poster
Username: Edenson

Post Number: 40

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 05:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thx for the advice everyone...

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Renata

Post Number: 187

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 09:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're not into going all the way to LA, there are at least 2 or 3 casting companies in Atlanta. I think they mostly cast extras for movies filmed in the South, but I'm not exactly sure.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 318

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 04:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

I met some cool people from Moroco last night, and one woman had an English accent similar to yours... might you have picked it up while you were there ?

Kola

Post Number: 2307

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi QUEEN! :-)

I've never thought I had an English accent but people keep saying that!

But YES. That's probably true. And it's probably more Moroccan than English.

I think my accent is VERY North African.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 320

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi KOla,

LOL... your English accent is cool though, and I'm sure everyone understands it. Your words are always lengthened but crisp. And don't feel bad because even American born citizens have English accents, and I've asked some of them if they were English. The other day a man asked me if I had been raised in Britain, and I was just like no, lol.

But yeah, these people I met last night were Muslim from Moroco and another arab country, starts with an L. They were cool :-).

Kola

Post Number: 2309

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Libya

Kola

Post Number: 2310

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YOU HAVE....a very suttle North African accent.

Why do people call it English?

LOL

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 322

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's it, Libya. And oh, they were asking me if I was Arab or Muslim and I was just thinking I don't even look it, lol. People ask the dumbest questions. They were also wondering if Islamic is the dominant Sudanese religion, is it ? Not dominant as in the most popular, but is the majority muslim?

But my accent doesn't bother me, it's the way I sound when I speak.. it's very calm and innocent(little girl), so people can easily take me lightly. But I'm working on it, lol.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 323

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know why people call it "English"... My dad's the one that picked up "English" blended with "African" not me, LOL. I have what I call "American/North African" English accecent because some people think I sound both African and American.

Kola

Post Number: 2311

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arabic is the official language of Sudan and is TIED with "English" for the most spoken, I would say.

We never spoke English in my home. Only Arabic, Timas Dialect and French, and my French is atrocious now. I haven't spoken it in so many decades.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 324

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah.. Arabic is a beautiful language and I wish I spoke it as well as my parents.

I often have the feeling that I need to know it and speak it fluently. It's like it's stored in my blood to know it, like Dinka is in my blood. I understand some of it, but I wish I knew all of it because it's what everyone in Sudan speaks.

Kola

Post Number: 2312

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't it funny how African children know SO MANY languages so young----and yet most can't read and write?

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 315

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 08:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I WISH I knew more than one language.

Blaklioness
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Blaklioness

Post Number: 115

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

It ain't never too late! I fixin' to bone up on somethin' African!

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 325

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

I have difficulty reading and writing Dinka, but speak it fairly well. I think the African kids only pick up languages without being taught how to speak them early in life and the reason they can't write them is because nobody teaches them how to read and write them. They're majorily taught how to read and write other languages though, like the main world languages (Arabic and English, Swahili, French, etc).

In Kenya, my dad was busy hiring a Swahili tutor instead of teaching me how to read and write my own language. And same thing was done here... had to learn English. If the focus was on Dinka, I wouldn't have to so much trouble with reading it.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 316

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to know swahili words (I had rgular babysitter from tanzania when I was 9).I could count to 10 in swahili. But after several years of not using those words, they've left my memory. :-(

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 874

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie.. how do you do the happy/sad faces... colorful ones, too? Thanks

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 327

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the happy face,I just type a colon and a RIGHT parentheses. DON'T SPACE.

For the sad face, I type a Colon and a LEFT Parentheses. DON'T SPACE.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 877

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie, I meant the real happy/sad faces, like the one above. Thanks.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 329

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 06:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as I said in the last post. type a colon and a parentheses and it will look like a smiley face on the side. when you submit the post it will show up as the icon in quetion.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 883

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GOODDAMN IT!!! ROXIE!!! I'm talking about REAL happy & sad faces!!! Like the puprple one in your Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:20 pm post!!!

Thanks!

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 884

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know what I meant to say!

Kola

Post Number: 2323

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 07:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya--

you have to TYPE using HMTL language to create that symbol.

First type this :

then type this right after it (

: ( .but together makes a frown

:-(

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 885

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My bad, Roxie... sweetie pie:-) Aunt Tonya sorry for pulling out the switches:-) I didn't read the last sentence of your post, sorry:-(

Tonya:-)

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 331

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No offense taken, Auntie Tonya :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com