My Next Victim Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » My Next Victim « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2220

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm semi kidding about the title of this thread.

But check out these photographs of South African singing superstar...LEBO.

The woman who kicked off the MTV AFRICA channel.

Millions of South African TEENS, the same ones
who spend millions on SKIN BLEACHING PRODUCTS look up to this woman.

I write about her in my autobiography.

Lebo

Notice the fake tits

Lebo

Lebo

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 757

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She looks disgusting. I'm convinced she'd look a lot better with black/darker hair and a more natural appearence. I doubt if she'd make it in the U.S. looking like that.... But then again...

Tonya

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 299

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya, why not make it in the US? Tyra Banks and all of dem with fake blonde hair do...

Be more realistic, thanks.

Kola

Post Number: 2221

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, AQ.

Look at Mary J. Blige

Mary

Mary

WHAT HAS TONYA BEEN ON LATELY?

Mary

We won't even start with BEYONCE

and BRANDY and NAOMI....all who are

currently BLOND

Kola

Post Number: 2222

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:24 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LEBO looks like Lil Kim

Lebo

But my point was....WHITE SUPREMACIST images

are spreading to Africa now.

This woman kicked off MTV AFRICA.

And the whole Black World is standing still

as these images devour our children and erase

black people---literally erase them----from

inside their own heads.

Blkamericanking
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Blkamericanking

Post Number: 88

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, i have to admit i think it's a damn shame. I could NEVER see myself with a fake ass black woman like that. Those tits definitely look fake. I wonder if she bought implants for her ass too...LMAO....Ohh never mind, she wants to be white and we all know whites girls have no ass...LOL

Anunaki3600
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Anunaki3600

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

South Africa is a big disappointment to Africa and Black people as a whole. White supremacy has made the Blacks impotent. Most Blacks usually wait for Whites to give them orders on what's to be done. Looks like Apartheid really did create mental slavery. Now we have to deal with the USA and South Africa. Two places where Black people have truely surrendered to Whites. FU*K them.

Blaklioness
Veteran Poster
Username: Blaklioness

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:28 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this woman one of the coloureds?

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 758

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AQ:

Tyra Banks and all of dem with fake blonde hair do... Be more realistic, thanks.

Kola:

WHAT HAS TONYA BEEN ON LATELY?

We won't even start with BEYONCE

and BRANDY and NAOMI....all who are

currently BLOND

Tonya:

(LOL).... Sorry guys -- my bad. I wasn't sure. I don't keep up with today's Hip Hop music/entertainment -- I'm from the old school... Public Enemy, KRS-ONE, MC-LYTE, and them. But I almost can't believe Brandy and the others went out like that. I can't imagine any of them looking good/better as blonds. That look isn't for everybody -- not even all white women can pull it off. When J-Lo did it I thought she made a bad decision; and, just the other day, I was watching the reporter Andrea Mithchell (Allen Greenspan's Wife) give a report, when I noticed she lightened her hair blond. I thought to myself, uh-uh.. because the look didn't fit her at all; in fact, it looks as if a rich brunette color would make her look fabulous. I have to admit, though, Mary J. Blige is the only black female super-star I've seen pull it off. Also, I have a blue black co-worker and a darkskinned sister who both, for some reason, are able to pull it off. There's only a percentage of white women and a very, very small percentage of black women who can get away with it -- and, for the life of me, I can't figure out what these women have in common -- they come in a wide range of skin tones (from snow white to blue black); and they're features vary.

Tonya

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1585

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I said it before I'll say it again--a person can wear his or her hair anyway they want but I hate blonde hair on a black person--men too.

It is rather distressing that this awful crap is going on over in the Motherland.

Somebody better wake up--

Afroamerican
Veteran Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we have Mary J. Blige to thank for these dos! She clearly started it............

Kola

Post Number: 2225

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Chris Hayden.

For me, Tonya, it's not about being able to "pull it off". It's about the MESSAGE that it sends loud and clear to black children who see their mother walking around like this----the highest point on her head, the closest part to her brain, mutilated to worship the White Woman she WISH she could be.

I never ever thought Mary J. pulled off blond hair. I have all her CDs but I never could watch her videos.

2 years ago---I was asked to audition for the role of "STORM" in the X-MEN movies when it looked as though Halle Berry wasn't coming back to the project.

My children's father complained that I could not let our sons see me with Blond hair----and I totally agreed, thus, I talked it over with the producer (her blond hair could not be changed) and ended up NOT making a screen test, although...I would have been perfect.

But we can't keep feeding our children these images and then wondering why they think whiteness is superior.

Hair is Political...especially considering the fact that no other race has our type of hair.

Kola

Post Number: 2226

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Blaklioness,

LEBO Mathona is not one of the coloureds.

She is black from BOOM SHAKA.

Many South Africans (the Zulu) are medium brown.

Afroamerican

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow. I didn't know the Zulu tribe still existed.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 801

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE MOORS are the only African tribe that is extinct.

In Africa---to become "extinct" is the lowest thing you can do.

And the MOORS sold out big time. They were trash---which is why the White man celebrates them.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Renata

Post Number: 163

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She does look gross like that. Sad to realize that she probably picked it up from us.

Afroamerican

Post Number: 83

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally I don't think she looks "gross". I actually think she has a rather cute face.

Anyway, I'm kind of flip flopping on this blond hair issue! One way I look at it is that White women are allowed to tan, get lippo, plastic surgery, breast jobs, and even bleach their own hair blond when they are natually red heads or brunettes.......

So why are black women held to a higher standard that EVERYTHING has to be "natural"? If you relax your hair then you SUPPOSELY hate yourself. If you dye your hair blond (or another color) you supposely hate yourself? If "we" get any kind of cosemetic surgery done than we "hate ourselves..........

One thing I can say about Beyonce and even Mary J. Blige is that they are MARRIED and/or Dating BLACK MEN. So like the White woman who "Improves her looks", Black women with all their weave wearing blond hairdos also PROCREAT HER OWN CHILDREN TOO!

But again, on the flip side, Blond hair is the ethnic mark of the Caucasian- like kinky hair is to Africans. Distinct only to HIM. So these "styles" do (in a way) reincert White beauty standards for some. Howevever I must argure that this woman, Mary J. included, will NEVER EVER "Look White" I don't care how blond they go. They can't reinforce White beauty that isn't even apperent on their faces or any features! This is like throwing an Afro on Heather Locklear and trying to claim that she's "representing" Blackness with a wig! It can't be done..............

my .2cent

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 164

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When afro hair is considered attractive to white people, I'll re-read your post and consider it.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 166

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She's not cute at all to me. Hair kind of MAKES the look, and her hair just ruins her looks.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 771

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***For me, Tonya, it's not about being able to "pull it off". It's about the MESSAGE that it sends loud and clear to black children who see their mother walking around like this----the highest point on her head, the closest part to her brain, mutilated to worship the White Woman she WISH she could be.***

I agree... but one can say the exact same thing about perms and weaves. I absolutely hate weaves (if they're longer than Hally Berry's hair length, for example) because, IMO, they immitate white women more than Mary J. Blige's short blond hairstyles - much more. I don't understand how we can say blond is not okay but perms and, especially, weaves are acceptable. It doesn't make sense.

Tonya

Kola

Post Number: 2230

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perms, true.

But WIGS and WEAVES were invented by African women more than 20,000 years ago.

"ALL" ancient Egyptians kept their heads shaved, because of sand mites---and donned elaborate WIGS, both male and female.

Did you ever see the film "Prince of Egypt"?

Black women have ALWAYS worn wigs and weaved animal fur into their hair.

The difference is---they were trying to look like their African selves.

African women have ALWAYS worn fake hair and outlandish styles.

But in the new world, the goal is to EUROPEANIZE ones looks.

And NOTHING...no weave or perm....can imitate White beauty more than blond hair.

Not even white people can grow blond hair! It's the ultimate symbol of the ARYAN White race.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 302

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afroamerican,

I like your thinking, but allot of blk women are goin blonde, so something must be wrong, lol.

I totally love your statement in the end.. Neva ever!

Kola

Post Number: 2233

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:35 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I would like Afro American to answer one thing.

Why should my BLACK SON choose Mary J. Blige with Blue contacts and fake Blond hair when he can get a REAL White woman with natural long flowing blond hair...and blue eyes, that aren't pieces of glass she has to take out of her head?

I'm a huge Mary fan...but like I said...she's WEAK.

The epitome of the weak black woman. She talks non-stop about "keep'n it real"---but she wears fake eyes and dresses in WHITE WOMAN DRAG 80% of the time----because of black men.

Beyonce...Mary J....Lil Kim send a STRONG message to Black males and to the society in general that says........I am Inferior...White women are superior....I can only be attractive if I look like BARBI.

If Millions and Millions of white women wore Afro wigs and did everything in their power to destroy their natural hair texture and make it NEGROID...then we would get the same message from them.

Tonya just got through castigating Black men who never protected black women.

But look at Mary J.Blige and realize where these men are coming from.

What does her blond hair and fake blue eyes say to little black children...since their hair doesn't grow straight or blond?

A lot of the DARKEST, most "sho-nuf" sista-fied soul sang'n GHETTO women are the most self-hating creators of self-hating males we have.

Black women CONDITION their sons to accept WHITE beauty...and to reject natural black beauty.

Black women CONDITION their sons/males in the community to accept WHITE beauty....and to reject natural black beauty.

Madam C. J. Walker started a revolution of black women "publicly big-upping" everybody's beauty but theirs.

What message does this LOOK send to young, black girls who are being ignored and rejected by their black male peers on school campuses day in and day out?

Mary

The message becomes

Get white

SKin bleach...dye...whatever it takes.

Black Girls Going Blonde a Growing Trend at HU
By Sonja Summers
Published: Thursday, March 3, 2005

The number of blonds attending Howard is starting to increase according to some students, but they do not mean that White enrollment at the University has gone up.

Instead, they believe the number of Black girls opting for blond hair is rising and can be seen in Black women who dye or highlight their hair blond.

While some students think the added color is an attempt to keep up with the latest trends, others claim it is an effort to appear more Eurocentric.

"I feel some do it because they need a change," said senior physical education major Stephen Robinson. "They feel the more extreme the better, and blond, for some, is extreme."

Sophomore criminal justice and Spanish double major Leigh Anderson thinks Black women dye their hair to meet the European standards of beauty.

"Everybody always says it is to make it more manageable and stuff, but at that time white women were the pinnacle of beauty," Robinson said. "After being slaves, I doubt that straightening our hair and making it easier to manage was top priority, it was all about survival and looking like the people that were surviving at that time."

Junior film production major Yasmen Howell admits to dying her hair blond and suggests that Black females choose their hair color by seeing which hair color is most prominent in music videos.

"I dye my hair once a year," Howell said. "I think it is a trend. I have died my hair every color that has been hot. It was red before and it was black last year."

However, other students who have dyed or highlighted their hair blond say they did it for reasons excluding the desire to be trendy or look Eurocentric. Some Howard students with naturally dark hair decide to dye their hair blond to brighten it up.

"My hair is really, really dark and I wanted to do something different," said Nina Harrison, sophomore undecided major. "If people do it to look more Eurocentric it is a subconscious thing because we are trained to conform to the white idea of beauty. People do no think 'I want to appear more Eurocentric.' There are not a lot of options that look natural for black girls."

Harrison suggests that Black girls who go blond to keep up with the latest look model their hair after singer and actress Beyoncé. Howard University males, on the other hand, feel that females are looking for attention by coloring their hair.

Shaun Carter, a junior economics major, prefers the natural look over the latest trends.

"They might not know they are looking for attention but they are," Carter said. "It looks good on a few but it does not look better than the normal hair color. I heard it damages your hair anyway so you should not do it."

Sophomore business major Stephane Assoumou said whether or not blond hair is attractive on Black females depends on the woman's features.

"Not everybody can pull it off," Assoumou said. "It depends on certain physical characteristics."

POOR DESPERATE BLACK WOMEN...

and nobody wants a woman who believes

she's inferior...

and advertises it on top of her head.

I'm just keep'n it real.

Even when a White Women does this...

afrowhite

wa

The Television, the Music Videos and the

General SOCIETY and ALL MEDIA still

focus on THIS....

ww

ww

So it doesn't affect White Children

or make them feel inferior to black people

---the MEDIA and the whole nation REINFORCES

images of White families, White fathers in

love with beautiful white mothers...white

people as beautiful, superior NORMAL people.

Kola

Post Number: 2234

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:52 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TONYA,

this is a WIG on Pam Grier's head

in this photo

Pam Grier

but I'm sorry----this is how Mary J.

and SERENA need to be profiling.

Now that's a bad bitch--I don't care

what country you live in.

Here's some more FAKE HAIR looks

that still look BLACK-centric and sexy

blw

blw

Jill Scott in a wig

Jill

er

Lauryn Hill in a WIG

I like these weaves, they

still evoke a BLACK GIRL...

Gabby

Kenya

Afroamerican

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree kola: many times the Lil Kim's and Mary J's don't "go Blond" simply for a fashion statement or a change! They do it to LOOK White. Not only do they have blond hair but BLUE CONTACTS.

I agree!

However, I don't see it as a simply black vs. White issues. I see grey in between too. That's why I flip flip on this issue!!!!I normally accept blond hair on black women if it looks somewhat natural and it IS NOT acompanied by Blue eyes!

I suppose the need to go blond wouldn't be so bad if the Black media showed more Kenya Moores.........

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 753

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I don't think "blond" hair looks good on this particular black woman, there are people that think she looks attractive. Though this is just my opinion, I tend to think that natural is better (healthier for the hair) and looks better. However, when all is said and done, I really don't give a shyt what other women want to do with their hair. Part of being a woman is the ability to recreate ourselves over and over again--it's fun!!!! While Mary has sported the "blond" thing for awhile, I've also seen her wear many, many other styles--and she's just being a regular, normal woman in the process of experimenting with various looks. I think people read into this shyt way too much!!!! Just let it be. To all the other women on the boards, how many times have you looked back on old photos and thought your hair and general style looked "crazy" during a certain time period?--we all have. I'm sure some of these "stars" as well as every day women do the same freakin' thing. Black women should not be held to some starndard to keep things natural when white women and other non-black women are constantly using hair color, curly perms and hair extenstions to create a style (that obviously) they weren't born with.

Some black women, especially black women with golden skin tones, can rock the shyt out of blond highlights. Some white women I've met in my life look incredible with curly, curly hair (hair that's been permed to be curly). Bo Derek looked amazing in braids--while other white women can't "pull it off".

I can see both sides of the debate but, I tend to side with the "live and let live" theory. When all is said and done, everyone is an individual and will (generally) do what the phuck they want (in terms of beauty/make-up/hair) without giving a shyt what anyone else thinks.

And shyt, if a woman buys it, it's hers!!!! Dammit.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 754

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 03:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kenya Moore is such a beauty!!!!!!!!

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 755

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is Lauryn Hill!!!! Amazing!!!!

Kola

Post Number: 2239

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 04:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But with all your PATRONIZING remarks, Moonsigns,

you still do the typical "I'm your frand" White Woman cheerleading number

....and ignore the crucial underlaying pain and suffering that black women endure (and inflict), on a Psycho-social and cultural level

But I guess---what do you care, after all.

You're still WHITE and will continue to be part of the dominant culture that sets and benefits from all these standards, right?

You will still considered a "woman" no matter what you do....and these women you're cheerleading will be also-rans, mainly because they borrowed YOUR STYLE and weren't courageous enough to envoke their own unqiue style.

What WHITE WOMEN do to their hair...and what Black women do against their souls and to their children's soul results serious, serious pain and trauma that you'll never be equipped to understand or comment on.

And that's the larger truth.

I found your comments so sad, insensitive and SURFACE.

Kola

Post Number: 2240

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an interesting FACT:

Most pure black women can grow long, thick healthy hair...past their shoulders.

I've seen many "raven" colored Black women in Ghana, Washington, D.C. Mississippi, CHicago with long, thick BLACK hair past their shoulders...and it's their real hair.

But...it takes about 3 to 5 years of constant brushing, oiling of the scalp and hands on care to achieve this for a Black woman (and MOST of the black women who have that long hair naturally, had Mothers who didn't put chemicals in their hair and kept it clean, healthy and braided up a lot with natural minerals and proteins)....

And most black women don't have the patience for all that...

....so she ends up destroying and breaking off her hair with PERM RELAXERS, weaves, hot combs....

KILLING THE HAIR FOLLICLE to the point where the hair becomes recalcitrant and won't grow.

White women on the other hand can grow long hair in very short periods of time---because their scalps are much more oily and their hair is Deficient, lacking protein.

A black woman's hair is pure protein and little else---it's designed to block the sun, guard against insects and is far softer than White people's hair when it's washed and lotioned. It also grows curly so that the length is Halvened.

MY POINT IS.....

If black women were encouraged to love their own God-given hair and were not pressured by the society and pressured by Media IMages of women like Beyonce and Mary J. and Diana Ross....then they could develop their own natural hairstyles and their own natural beauty standards.

The reason that I always loved Halle Berry...was that she made it OK to have short hair.

She spent the bulk of career wearing short natural lengths and styles that sent a message to young black girls that they could also begin to adopt...the Nia Long look.

As I've said earlier, I have nothing against black women getting creative and sporting a wide range and variety of LOOKS.

But that is NOT what has been happening. What they've been doing is REHEARSING TO BE WHITE.

---and while they have no problem castigating Black men for being colorstruck, self-hating

notice how they run off and scatter in silence when the mirror is turned on them.

And notice how they ignore their HAND in raising and shaping these self-hating men who believe white beauty is superior---because that's what their mothers and sisters SHOWED THEM everyday.

I've worn weaves, wigs and thanks to my Black American family---I became accustomed to having my hair straightened (something that is really not done in Sudan, ever).

But if Black women don't start to fight for themselves----they're never going to produce anyone else who thinks they're worth fighting for, protecting, loving or anything else.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 779

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***Tonya just got through castigating Black men who never protected black women. But look at Mary J.Blige and realize where these men are coming from.***

Don't think I'm giving Mary special treatment because, honestly, I'm not that big of a fan, and I agree with you, she can represent a lot better; especially since she's one of the very few bona fide sistahs in the media -- for that reson she's a very big disappointment. But my point is, if we're going to castigate her for wearing blond hair (which is usually short in length, at least, and doesn't make her look any whiter) we need to castigate (just as harshly)almost every black women in hollywood; because, except for a few, they all wear long weaves, which makes them look whiter. To me, Mary J. Blige looks blacker than Foxy Brown did with her long natural colored weave. (And Foxy's more authentic lokking than Mary.) I think Mary looks more natural than most of the black women in hollywood who wear long natural colored weaves.

As I said earlier, I don't agree with perms, blond hair, and especially long weaves. Obviously, I don't agree with perms because most black women don't have naturally straight hair -- but if you're going to wear a perm/color/blond at least wear a length that's natural for black women. Like straight hair, long *FLOWING* hair is NOT a natural trait of nappy headed black women. But, out of long weaves, short perms, and short color/blond - long weaves are the most noticable and most European looking of them all -- that's why I loathe tham the most.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 780

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, if you're saying that getting rid of perms and weaves is too hard to do I'll understand -- but let's not act like one's better than the other. To me, blond hair and long weaves are both destructive.

Tonya

Kola

Post Number: 2244

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TONYA!!!!

Girl, these pics of

MARY J. BLIGE

were all taken THIS month

to promote her new album.

Mary

Mary

Mary

nMary

Mary7

last

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankfully, there are also a lot of women who are wearing their hair natural (or natural looking). I'm in a yahoo group called Black Hair Grow Out, for women who have cut off relaxed hair and are in the process of growing it out natural or texturized.

(Also, I didn't know Jill Scott's hair was a wig! That's the secret to buying one: if no one can tell it's fake, it's a good wig!)

Also, KOLA, that's a good point you gave to Moonsigns. Of course it looks good to her, she's the one being emulated.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 783

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:41 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... And she's just as wrong as the weave headed women standing next to her in the fourth picture. That's my point.

Also, when she wears it short she doesn't look that way -- she still looks like a natural black women. Some black women can do that. She and the actress/singer Eve can do that ("pull it off" and still look like natural black women) WHEN THEY WEAR IT SHORT.

That said, I don't agree with any of it -- it's a slippery slope: first perms and skin bleaches, then weaves and skin lightening make-up, now blond hair and blue contacts. IT'S ALL DESTRUCTIVE. And it ALLLL stems from the same destructive white supremacy mindset.

IT'S ALL THE SAME.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 784

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 09:46 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops....

Kola, I was referring to Mary J. Blige and the fourth picture you just posted.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 824

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is Jill Scott
with her own hair

Jill

THIS...is a WIG

Jill

Notice she's even

looking up at it in

amusement

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 757

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:31 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Obviously, the hair issue is extremely sensitive. And there's always two sides to every story. Sure, as women, there are always social pressures to be what the media presents. In America, the media presents thin, blond (and long), light or white. It's not fair. However, on the other hand, women in America don't have their hands (figuratively and literally) tied behind their backs without any escape from this. A majority of Americans are gross consumers--and they love it!!!! Though I know I'm in the minority, I'm a firm believer that individuals, if they are passionate enough, DO have a choice to reject certain images and embrace images that they feel ARE healthy. I am well aware that there will always be a certain element of media influence that a parent (especially a mother) can't control. However, from personal experience, I understand that controlling what young, impressionable children digest (visually) has a positive impact as they grow into young adults.

With that being said, I firmly believe that all women, and in this case black women, do have the power of choice to control a majority of the images their offspring view. I think the issue you will have is convincing others to think like you regarding this matter. On one side, you have a valid point, on the other, the question of individuality is raised, and part of the human experience is owning our right to do as we please. Not every black woman with blond hair is self-hating. Not every black woman with a weave is self-hating. Not every black woman with a perm is self-hating. For as much as you want to prove how "human" black women are (which is understandable and respectable), you appear to be intolerant of the concept that some of your peers aren't consumed with this sort of "impending doom" theory regarding color, hair and black men marrying "out" and procreating unauthentic children. It's human to have differences--even among your "own" and having those differences does not mean one party is right and the other is wrong.

I don't know if you've been on that "ranch" too long or what, but I happen to see, interact and know black women who evoke their own style on a daily basis--and the black men they are with LOVE IT! And again, this does not mean that there aren't black women out there who are sinking in the quick sand of consumerism, it means that there are some that are and there are some that aren't--and I think that you rarely acknowledge the many (and majority of) black women that are proudly doing their own thing. They've had their painful issues with the various social pressures but are overcoming them! You seem to constantly focus on the negative--and you think I, as a white woman, am so very wrong--and insensitive for pointing out a different perspective--for pointing out that I see the wrong in the media, acknowledge that women have a choice in this mess, that not all black women are self-hating for experienmenting with certain styles (a human thing) and that not all black women think like you.

Learning the art of what we can control and what we can't is a dance between our ideals and reality. I think you torment yourself unnecessarily.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 758

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Renata,

If you read my post you'd know that I don't think this particular woman looks "good" with blond hair--natural, to me, is always healthier. However, what I support is her right to do with her hair what she pleases.

No one is "emulating" me, either--as I have (shiny) espresso-bean colored and it's not "long".

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 304

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, these black women may be fake blondes with fake blue eyes, but the most important thing is that they're still very culturally black.I'm not going to waste anymore time judging them as long as they don't do surgical procedures to permanently own blue eyes or blonde hair. My words could be wrong, but I'm just going to love my fake haired, fake eyed people as much as possible without judging them for trying to look white. The most important thing to me is that they stay black with their fake wigs and eye colors.

One was born black, therefore, he or she must die black period.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 305

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And not that I'm not on Kola's side, I'm just trying to look at this differently. Maybe "keepin it real" may just mean staying black culturally and black culture being very much different from white culture..

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 306

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, those fake bright brown eyes and blonde hair just don't go with LEBO.. GOTA GO THROW UP, lol...

Anyway, my apologies, I did say I would no longer judge.. but I find it hillarious that one would go to the EXTREME and actualy ACCEPT that look, EWWWW.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 307

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SOMEONE PLZZZZZ STOP MARY BEFORE SHE STARTS BEING THE NEXT WOMAN MICHAEL JACKSON..

Just saw the magazine.. she looks like BRITNEY SPEARS or JESSICA SIMPSON before even turning her skin color..

I'M WORRIED.. GOOD LORD!

Kola

Post Number: 2248

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Little children grow up and do what they saw their parents do.

They imitate their parents and the other adults in their community.

They learn their PREFERENCES and what they Believe from the examples that their parents and the adults set.

For "Black" children--the role models can be psychologically and emotionally and mentally....threatening....as witnessed above.

What I do with my hair and to my looks...has far reaching consequences BEYOND just the latest fad.

And there are almost NO images of natural black women in this society WHATSOEVER...which compounds the situation.

So...African Queen...have you EVER looked at it that way?

I really wonder, because we're in big trouble if every black woman posting on this board isn't aware of BASIC PRINCIPLES...such as how children are trained by their environment.

Everywhere I go...I see permed, weaved and BLOND haired black women.

It may be a full week before I see a sister sporting her natural hair. So to our children--SHE is abnormal.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 787

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW, Moonsigns...

You comment with so much confidence and authority, while pretending to be clueless to how cocky, arrogant, and thoughtless you appear to be....

You put forth the misleading claim that people "dislike" you due to your relationship with a worthless black man... when, in reality, you completely understand that your ability to treat my ordeal casually, as if it's an everyday "AMERICAN" experience - a maintream trend, was made possible by the misogynistic and colorist mating practices of that same worthless, imprudent, odious, black man....

The very person I spent centuries protecing from his counterpart gave you clout, full credentials, and carte blanche to impose upon me; making it possible for you to "assess" me any way you see fit, all while satisfying a devious compulsion, and under the guise of "exercising your 'freedom'."

...Amazing.

Tonya

Kola

Post Number: 2250

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch!

But I co-sign my girl Tonya.

Neh what else you got to say bitch before we jump your MartinLutherKing-quot'n white ass.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 789

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...LMBAO!!!

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 308

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 06:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about the pain blk people go through when combing the afro... has anyone ever thought about that?

"The afro" is hard to comb through just as straight hair is hard to braid. Does anyone know which product other than perm I can use to not feel the pain when I comb through my hair?

I'm not a fan of perms because they damage the hair, but at the same time they relax the hair and give blk people a chance to easily comb their hair.. has anyone ever thought of it this way?

And not all blk people hair turn like the white's after perm, at least mine doesn't.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 792

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 07:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AQ, when you wash & condition natural hair twice a week, it's not hard to comb through. Also, Reneta posted a few things about texturizers.... I still need more research on that, though, so I'm not suggesting it, but it seems like an alternative you may want to look into.

Tonya

Kola

Post Number: 2251

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

African Queen,

People in Africa have been living just fine for

THOUSANDS OF YEARS without relaxers.

You totally ignored my whole question regarding what we do in front of our children's eyes and what means.

And don't forget, I wear weaves and wigs myself.

Here's a picture of me with my own hair
STRAIGHTENED:

Kola

Kola

Post Number: 2252

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

There's no Dinka people in their own villages in Sudan worried about the difficulty of coming their hair.

That's just my point.

Black people are fine with their hair and looks until they're placed in a White world.....then they wanna be white.

Why can't we acknowledge that this is a Psycho-Social Problem, for some a SICKNESS.

Because it is.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 311

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, because we kept the hair braided and once braided (black man's style in the US) and it while it's being parted and braided, but after a couple of days, the pain dissappeared.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 312

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola, sorry, that wasn't very clear, but I hope u get the point.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 313

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And this page is making me sick, that girl at the very top gets muh head spinnin, lol.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 759

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TONYA:
"You put forth the misleading claim that people "dislike" you due to your relationship with a worthless black man."

MOONSIGNS:
After calling me a "racist bitch", I specifically said to YOU, not "people", that I don't know your rational for doing such except that YOU don't like IR couples--and have no other excuse. You proceeded to tell me that, that's not the case (with all your white friends and white/biracial family members being the proof that you aren't prejudice). I took you at your word--I have no other reason not to believe you, however, like I said, it does make your asseration more interesting and complicated. With that being established, that bullshyt you wrote is completely irrelevant as is the "worthless" comment.

TONYA:
"The very person I spent protecting for centuries from his counterpart gave you clout...."

MOONSIGNS:
My question to you is, why "protect" a "worthless" man? How foolish does a woman have to be?! It's a complete contradiction. And if my "opinion" doesn't matter to you, this whole hair dicussion between us would be a non-issue. If you truly believe what you write, logic would allow you to comprehend what I initially wrote-- the media is unfair to large numbers of women, including white women. However, women still have a choice and choice is powerful. Now, if you feel powerless, that's your issue. You can't blame me.

I don't buy this song and dance about you being a woman whose been "imposed upon" because men that you say are "worthless" gave me right to do so. What bullshyt!

And I if I happened to be black and writing the same message here (that black women, for the most part, have the power to choose the images their children view), you'd be one of the first to agree. However, your prejudices blind you to truth.

You're soooooo deep, Tonya.

LMAO!!!!

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 174

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's nothing "wrong" with black hair....which is why "nappy hair" (ie, OUR hair) has everything done to it to make it not look so much like OUR hair. From whom does our children learn that nappy hair is "bad hair"? From the mothers they see rushing to hair salons every 2 to 3 weeks, spending 50 dollars and more to keep it straight, and another 100 or so keeping it colored. For people who complain so much about poverty and the state of the black economy, we sure have a lot of money just for our hair.

Try a very subtle texturizer, NOT A FULL RELAXER, if you're having trouble with Afro hair. I have one and I love it. It takes the bulk/thickness out of the Afro, but the hair still looks and behaves like an Afro. The best of both worlds.

I can wash it and wear an Afro on Friday, and if I wish, I can blow dry it straight on Saturday. Also, you can barely tell when the new hair grows in, because it's all somewhat kinky.

I would very much recommend it.

Just remember, the longer the chemicals are on, the straighter the hair gets.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 175

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plus, NON straight black hair really, truly grows much longer, thicker, and healthier. My hair has grown from very short (I had my hair cut short like Alek Wek's) to past my bra in only 2 and a half years. There's no way it would have done that with a relaxer. I only got the texturizer in the last 3 months.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 314

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Renata,

You're sure right about the perm.. I hate it too, it completely destroys my hair.. but I was just wondering, what's the name of the texturizer you use?

I keep permin my hair cuz I have nothing to relieve the thickenning of my afro, so it would help if you tell me the name of the product you use, thanks.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 179

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hairstylist does it. It's basically a relaxer, but it isn't so strong, and it isn't left on a long time. I think she left it on my hair maybe 6 minutes tops, but I'm not quite sure.

I don't know how to do chemical services, so I've never had to know the brand name of any of it.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 804

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns:

You're soooooo deep, Tonya.

LMAO!!!!

Tonya:

I bet you thought that post was about you.... You're soooooo narcissistic.

And that ain't nothing to sing nor laugh about.

By the way, besides my name and the three words I quoted, don't ask me what you said in your post cause I didn't even take the time to read it.

Maybe that'll thaw you out.

Tonya

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 761

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TONYA:
"I bet you thought that post was about you.... You're soooooo narcissistic."

MOONSIGNS:
Actually, no. I've always known that your issues are about you.

TONYA:
"By the way, besides my name and the three words I quoted, don't ask me what you said in your post cause I didn't even take the time to read it......Maybe that'll thaw you out."

MOONSIGNS:
I'm not too surprised that you didn't read it. I was positive you wouldn't know how to respond when the facts were presented. I knew there was a way to shut-up that pseudo-psychoanalyst babble--LMAO! Thanks for the heads up about not reading my post. It'll give me more time to spend on other destinations in cyberspace! Bye-bye, Tonya!

P.S. Kiss my grits! *wink*

Libralind2
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Libralind2

Post Number: 264

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns writes:To all the other women on the boards, how many times have you looked back on old photos and thought your hair and general style looked "crazy" during a certain time period?--we all have. I'm sure some of these "stars" as well as every day women do the same freakin' thing. Black women should not be held to some starndard to keep things natural when white women and other non-black women are constantly using hair color, curly perms and hair extenstions to create a style (that obviously) they weren't born with.

LiLi writes: I have some pictures that I cut myself out of so my grandchildren wouldnt think I was crazy back in the day..LAWD..just like you said.
LOL

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 806

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 06:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...ROTFLMAO!!! Too cute!

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 180

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't say that I've ever had that dilemma, Lili. (what a cute name)

I'm 30, and have a 15 year cycle of cutting it all off, growing it, cutting it, growing it, etc., etc.
As a matter of fact, I'm surprised I still have it NOW, as I was SERIOUSLY considering cutting it earlier this year, and had to fight the urge.

I'm kind of bland. Afros, braids, upwraps, that's about it.

I'm determined to keep it this time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright © 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com