Why are most Hurricanes Female? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Why are most Hurricanes Female? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Asherah
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I don't follow up the news that much about hurricanes, since I don't live in the States, so I don't know much about them either, but I was wondering why I only hear female names given to hurricanes?
I suspected it had to be something sexistic, because "the female" usually doesn't get a lot of attention like that, unless it is to put it in a bad daylight and so it is with hurricanes, they bring misery and disaster so giving hurricanes female names seems to be an easy way to (keep on)link(ing) the feminine with the devil.

I've googled for this to see if I could get some more info and here I found already confirmation of my initial thoughts on someone's blog:

Hurricanes prove feminists wronghttp://motls.blogspot.com/2005/10/hurricane-wilma.html
Second of all, it proves that the feminists have been completely wrong once again. ;-) By the 1970s, only female names were used for the hurricanes. (This was based on a comparison of winds and women: when they arrive, they are warm and pleasant summer winds; when they leave, they take cars and houses away with them.) The feminists conjectured that it was a kind of discrimination and men may be equally destructive if they are employed as winds. :-)

Consequently, male and female names have alternated. But something that the feminists don't realize is that you can't simply hide reality. Katrina, Rita, and Wilma are all female. The male hurricanes in between were jokes or they did not become hurricanes at all. Andrew 1992 is the only proud representative of the males in the field. The hurricanes after Wilma will be called Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, which - I believe - are also female, at least in Czech. ;-)

First of all the guy who probably thinks like many of his brothers that he's being more "manly" by dismissing feminists, doesn't seem to realize something important himself here. As far as I know, most hurricanes can be predicted and by comparing them with one another, they probably know on forehand which will be a big storm and which not. So it doesn't have to be a coincidence that most of the big hurricanes are female..
By giving mostly the biggest hurricanes female names and only ones in a while a male name, another comparision is naturally made in the subconsious mind: the female is the worst, because she gives us the most disaster.
On the other hand, if most of the big hurricanes were given male names, I bet our man here would give a total different view on hurricanes in his blog, probably in the sense that it must be because of the *strength* of the male, so female names wouldn't deserve the bigger hurricanes, because they're "too weak".

B.T.W. in my country they now also display the Oprah Show on TV which I like to watch, but we're a little behind and I only now saw the disaster from the "Katrina" hurricance. I couldn't help but linking the horrible raping of little babies with the same thing that is done in some African countries(socalled to cure AIDS). Maybe these rapists (who were most probably Afro-American men?) justified their behavior because some of their 'ancestors' do it as well and they also got inspired by them ?

Just a thought that crossed my mind of how devilish deeds can cause ugly chain reactions..

Blaklioness
Veteran Poster
Username: Blaklioness

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"MOTHER" nature perhaps?? If the perception is one of power, it may not be such a bad thing. I don't know...maybe someone has some real history behind the connection.

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2215

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Asherah!!!!!!

SO glad to seee you after all this time. :-)

I tend to think you're both right.

Asherah
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kola!!!! :-)))

have you read my other comment on http://www.thumperscorner.com/discus/messages/2152/7708.html?1130859721 b.t.w. ?

Hi Blaklioness, you have a point there and so do I, LOL
I don't know for sure either whether the guy on his blog is referring to the real history about naming hurricanes or he's making something up..but real history or not I'm just looking at the underlying intention of giving the most big hurricanes, female names.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 296

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it be because the earth is also a SHE, and Africa being the "mother land"... ?? So when natural disasters happen, they're named after women's names... ?

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 297

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But then again, heavenly goodness is named after "HE" and God is a man not a woman... so this is directing people into thinking women are the bad people.. And it all started with Adam and Eve? Hmmmmmm... this is really something to think about.. Don't believe everything I've just written because I don't know exactly what's suppose to be the case.. it's very confusing to me.

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2223

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:27 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well you're catching on, AfricanQueen.

Men are goodness

Women are evil

White is goodness

Black is evil

It's really quite simple.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com