MOROCCO defends its Treatment of Afri... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » MOROCCO defends its Treatment of Africans « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2127

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 09:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PROOF that we in Africa----do not------come in all shades and consider ourselves the same race of people:

"Morocco Defends Its Treatment of Africans"

RABAT, Morocco - Morocco on Monday defended its use of force in preventing Africans from crossing into two Spanish enclaves on its northern coast as it started deporting some of those caught storming border fences in recent weeks.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Communications Minister Nabil Benabdallah also accused neighboring Algeria, with which Morocco has tense relations, of leaving its borders "completely open" and allowing immigrants through "without any surveillance."

Morocco has been criticized for its handling of attempts by thousands of Africans to rush razor-wire fences protecting the enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla. At least a dozen migrants have been killed.

Benabdallah said Morocco is in a no-win situation. Previously it was criticized for not doing enough to stem African immigration. "Then, when we used other means, including force, we created some humanitarian problems. It is not possible to fight this problem without causing humanitarian problems," he said.

His comments came as Morocco began deporting migrants, starting with a flight carrying 140 Senegalese back to Dakar. More than 900 Senegalese and Malians were to be sent home Monday and Tuesday.

"We are happy to be going home, because here there are many problems," a 26-year-old Senegalese who gave his name as Abdoulaye said before he boarded the first flight from Oujda, in northeast Morocco. Moroccan police also were aboard, although the passengers were not handcuffed. Some had slight injuries, such as cuts on their arms.

Those being deported left willingly, Benabdallah said. He said the fate of others refusing to return will have to be determined after a plan is worked out by the countries involved.

"We need maybe a global discussion," he said. "We cannot find a solution on our own."

He said Morocco does not want another diplomatic crisis with Algeria but added: "I think Algeria doesn't want to take responsibility."

Algeria's Foreign Ministry said in a statement Sunday that nearly 6,000 illegal immigrants were caught on Algerian territory in 2004. It said police action is "insufficient in such a sensitive and complex situation" and that all nations affected must cooperate.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan also urged the international community Monday to do more to resolve problems driving migration.

"What is important is that we don't make a futile attempt to prevent people from crossing borders," Annan said in Geneva in response to questions about the crisis along the Spanish-Moroccan border. "The moving of people will continue."

Meanwhile, Benabdallah denied allegations by the aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres that Morocco abandoned some immigrants in the desert, although he said the migrants' numbers are so large he could not say for certain if all have received water and food.

Medecins Sans Frontieres, also known as Doctors Without Borders, reported last week that Moroccan authorities left between 600 and 700 Africans in the desert near the Algerian border after Spain expelled them from Melilla and Ceuta.

The Paris-based group said it treated at least 50 migrants for injuries, including some apparently caused by rubber bullets and beatings.

Following an outcry in Spain, Moroccan authorities rounded up about 1,500 migrants and put them on buses over the weekend, said Medecins Sans Frontieres spokesman Carlos Ugarte. He said he did not know where they were being taken. Spanish TV showed that many of the Africans were handcuffed to each other.

Even as some Africans are sent back, others are still trying to get to Europe.

About 1,500 to 2,000 Africans have set up camp on the Algerian side of the border with Morocco, waiting to cross the frontier and make their way to Melilla, said Algerian reporters who have visited the camp and a camp resident. The Spanish newspaper El Pais, citing Spanish police reports, put the camp's population at around 3,000.

A 29-year-old Malian who gave his name as Bernard, reached by telephone at the camp, said the migrants live in makeshift shelters, and get food, blankets and clothes from local residents. Most are men, but some are women, he said.

Ousmane Diamanke, a 30-year-old farmer from the northern Senegalese region of Kolda, was among those who returned to Senegal on the Moroccan plane. He said he also had hoped to reach Europe: "It's really painful to be so close and fail."

___

Associated Press writers Michel Zerr in Oujda, Morocco, and Nafi Diouf in Dakar, Senegal, contributed to this report.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 225

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[*sigh*]North Africa- the last rascist intitution to crush.

Also,
--"PROOF that we in Africa----do not------come in all shades and consider ourselves the same race of people:"--

From what I read on egyptforums.com, the response letters for the king tut issue of National geographic and Richard Poe, more and more non-black people are starting to open their eyes to that reality.

Afroamerican
Regular Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw newscoverage about this on CNN last night. The Spanish government seems to be getting a lot of heat about this issue.

I remember a german friend of mine use to complain about the Turks in his country (germany). He made no afford to hide the fact that he hated Muslims/Turks.

I was eating out one day, and met a girl from Northern Africa. I asked her where she was from because I noticed an accident. She said I'm French.

I found that hilarious!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com