Ethiopians upsetting African American... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Ethiopians upsetting African Americans in D.C. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 604

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 06:59 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dukems

America's largest Ethiopian community carves niche in Washington, D.C.
By BRIAN WESTLEY, AP

WASHINGTON (AP) - Inside Dukem, one of the city's best-known Ethiopian restaurants, the bustle on the street seems far-removed as burning incense mingles with the aroma of spicy stews.

On a small stage, performers in sequined white gowns thump on drums and sing traditional music from the East African nation. Patrons sitting nearby tear into spongy pancakes, scooping up exotic cuisine such as Awaze Tibs - lamb marinated with jalapeno, tomato and garlic.

A new ethnic identity is taking root in a once-decaying neighborhood not far from the White House, where 10 Ethiopian restaurants are clustered together and dingy storefronts are now splashed with bright hues of blues, yellows and reds.

"You feel like you're in your own country when you come here," said Tefera Zewdie, the owner of Dukem, who left Ethiopia as a teenager 20 years ago.

Dukem

The Washington region has the world's biggest Ethiopian community outside of Africa, according to the Ethiopian Embassy. The 2000 Census reports 15,000 Ethiopians have settled in the Washington area. But the embassy and those who study African immigration argue that number is far too low, saying the actual number is closer to 200,000.

Now this growing ethnic group wants to be recognized in the city by naming a street "Little Ethiopia."

But the location - near U Street - faces resistance from some in the community who want to preserve the area's historic significance. Before riots erupted in the 1960s, the area was known as America's "Black Broadway" because of its thriving African-American owned jazz clubs, shops and theaters.

"They're trying to erase us," said longtime city resident Ora E. Drummer. "This community was built by African Americans. I would never go to Ethiopia and name it 'Duke Ellington Way,"' she said, referring to the influential jazz performer who was a native of Washington and is closely linked with the neighborhood's history.

Community activist Deairich "Dee" Hunter agrees, and claims the campaign is the work of a "small group of people who are obsessed" with the idea.

Several thousand people, however, have signed a petition circulated in support of the name change, said Tamrat Medhin, who is leading the effort to hang signs that say Little Ethiopia, or something similar, on Ninth Street between U and T streets NW.

"The Ethiopian community came in and moved in when people were afraid to come to the neighborhood," said Medhin, who chairs the Ethiopian-American Constituency Foundation. His idea has the support of District of Columbia Councilman Jim Graham, who represents the neighborhood.

Graham said he favors the idea of Little Ethiopia because of the immigrants' significant contributions. Besides restaurants, Ethiopians also have opened churches, hair dressers and a community services center.

"Anything we do that underscores the multicultural nature of where we live ... is fine with me," said Graham, who spent about a month in Africa last year to learn more about the people he represents.

Many Ethiopians began arriving in the United States after a military coup in the 1970s, said Hermela Kebede, the leader of Washington's Ethiopian Community Center, which assists newcomers by helping them find housing and offering English classes.

She said the presence of the embassy is a big reason Ethiopians initially decided to settle in Washington. Now, the community has grown so large it has its own Ethiopian Yellow Pages.

"They're coming from one Ethiopia to another," Kebede said.

Graham said it is too soon to say when the D.C. Council will act on the Little Ethiopia proposal. In the meantime, he said it is important to win the support of those who are angered by the Ethiopians' campaign.

Kinuthia Macharia, a sociology professor at American University, said he believes the special ethnic designation is more about the potential economic benefit for business owners, rather than an attempt by Ethiopians to elbow out other cultures.

"If you go to San Francisco or New York, people tell you about Chinatown," Macharia said. "In addition to eating, you visit businesses" giving them more exposure and raising their profile.

That kind of attention would be welcomed by Senedu Zewdie, Zefera's sister. She decided to open her own restaurant, Sodere, last spring a few blocks away from Dukem. On a recent weekday afternoon the restaurant was nearly empty - but she says the crowds pick up on weekends.

Designating the area Little Ethiopia, she said, would make it more of a destination for tourists who might otherwise ignore that section of Washington.

She also hopes it increases Americans' awareness of her homeland, pointing out that many people know little about Ethiopia, except for what they have seen and read in the news about famines and war.

"Ethiopia has a rich culture," she said. "We want (people) to come back again and again."

On the Net:

Ethiopian Embassy: http://www.ethiopianembassy.org

Dukem restaurant: http://www.dukemrestaurant.com

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 605

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 07:00 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is generating a LOT of controversy in Wash. D.C. (where I was raised) and I'd be interested to know what people here think.

blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

I actually visited Ethiopia a few months ago and was admittedly slightly put off by the poverty. Though I met some of whom I felt were nice people, you can never really tell how some continental Africans perceive/receive you as another person of African descent. As long as they're not coming with some elitist agenda, it may actually be a good thing for African Americans to gain more exposure to Blacks from the continent and vice-versa. If everyone's being straight forth from both sides, it's a good chance for the cultures and languages to be shared. Just my opinion. By the way, do you know what portion of that population is Oromo as compared to Amhara, Tigrean, etc.?

blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not dismissing African American sentiment about what's going on there, but I'm thinking about how hypocritical many Blacks in America can be. We'll sit back on our asses and welcome whites and other nonblacks to take over our communities, but when those we perceive as Black/African come in, we decide to make a fuss.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Renata

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 01:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with Blacklioness. Tell those stupid people to go protest that dumb shit in Chinatown.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 111

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And in nearly every major city, there's a Chinese and a Spanish yellow pages, so I don't see the big point in mentioning Ethiopian yellow pages.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 220

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think "Little Ethiopia" just might be the bridge a brige between the already huge gap in relations between ethiopians and AAs.That is if they bother to sit down and discuss the matter.
But if they're thinking of changing the name of the street, they better not, even something as simple as a name can provide the historical roots of a place.

BTW, why haven't they protested against other immigrants moving in other established black neighborhoods, especially in Adams Morgan or wherever Mary McLeod Bethune's home is(I forget the area)?

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2130

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all.

I grew up in Wash. D.C. and was always startled by the hostility between Black Americans and Black Africans.

I'm not a big fan of the Ethiopians, only because, the TYPE that can afford to come to the U.S. and live are usually the high yellow/high brown ones who are deeply colorist and have caste systems (behind closed doors) that I am all too familiar with and that you all would not believe.

They have deeply unfair prejudices against Black Americans....MAINLY BECAUSE....the Black Americans come from West African stock. If you read the 2 chapters of my upcoming autobiography that I posted--you will gleen a greater understanding of this reality.

But just as well, the Black Americans didn't WANT to get along with African people and made millions of excuses as to why they could not be friends with Africans---a 100 stereotypes.

I think the street SHOULD BE renamed "Little Ethiopia" as well.......but as the Black Americans lose (throw away) their culture; they are angry at Africans for having one.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 228

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can you throw something away if you refused to claim as your own in the first place? THAT's the problem with some AAs and their culture.

My own dad hates french braided hairstyles on males with a passion. He said "men are supposed to have short hair!" (and this was the "afrocentrist" in my early life!)

God help the nuts in our tribe.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 113

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Roxie, can't say I disagree with your dad too much. I just don't like long hair on men (except locks). Longer hair just looks kind of effeminate.

(Now, if he hates WOMEN with french braided hair, he has some issues.)

Back to the topic: I can understand where Kola is coming from, but as was said before, AA's have a problem with ANY Africans becoming successful, whether they're East or West doesn't matter. But these same dumbasses will go to the Asian grocery store, restaurant, furniture store, and beauty supply store and it doesn't even dawn on them that THESE people are taking over black neighborhoods and not contributing to the area (as they and their NON-black employees live in other areas).

Somehow, it's only a problem if a Black foreigner "takes over". My ass.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 114

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can say also that I dated a Somali once, I can't say for sure if my skin color was primarily why he was interested in me. But, he always introduced me as his AFRICAN girlfriend, and he's the one responsible for getting me interested in African clothing, East and West. (I ABSOLUTELY ADORE CLOTHES FROM GHANA.)

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 251

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie: My own dad hates french braided hairstyles on males with a passion. He said "men are supposed to have short hair!" (and this was the "afrocentrist" in my early life!)

God help the nuts in our tribe.

My Respond: Roxie, when I arrived here (America) as a teenager 10 years ago from Africa, I always wore french braids, straight back. Now, the AAs kids made fun of me, saying I had the man's hairstyle, that girls are not suppose to wear french braids the way I wore them. I DID NOT KNOW THAT, nor did I know how to explain the way people wear braids in Africa to them, I WAS JUST LEARNING ENGLISH, lol...

So I felt something was wrong and this was the beginning of my experiencing 2 different cultures at once. While I was told at home it was ok to wear french braids, in school I was told I look like a boy. Somehow, I needed happiness so I changed the boy's hairstyle and started wearing extensions and micro braids. I even learned how to do micro braids on my own hair and other people, so I've made quiet a bit of money doing that.

In Africa, men cut their hair short, no braids whatsoever. Some men who braid their hair in french braids still look masculine, but I also feel that this is a bad idea, "made to look good". Like the name nigger is translated into "nigga" like they were talking about on Oprah show about last week when they had the movie, "Crush" characters there. In other words, the man whom was called a boy back in the day does not have to be called one anymore because he's making himself look like one in french braids. Oprah did disagree with some of the men like Ludacris who find it ok to call each other nigga, and I completely agreed with her.

But anyway, this was my experience, just wanted to share :-).

Kola

Post Number: 2135

Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

French braids is a WOMANS hairstyle.

But Americans are so used to "long flowing hair" and WHITE types of styles even on black women---that's really why they didn't like it on you, AQ.

I LLLLLOOOOVE to see French braids on Black Women.

If I didn't have such a long face and huge forehead, I would be wearing them.

I wear bangs to hide how huge my head is. LOL

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster
Username: Blkamericanking

Post Number: 65

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 05:30 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Those are some fine Ehtiopian sisters. I think i seriously need to take a trip to Ethiopia...LOL

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Just curious...what are the original/indigenous languages around the area of Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, etc.? I'm engaging in a research project of my own and would appreciate your knowledge. Thanks.

Kola

Post Number: 2136

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 02:45 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Blacklioness there's about 300 languages in each of those countries.

Sudanese speak English and Arabic---indigenous languages are Cushitic (Hermetic and Semetic);

The Nubians speak "Nobbin", a Cushitic Hebrew language---Dinka, Nuer, Shilluk, Azende have their own languages. There's 300 in Sudan.

Ethiopians speak mostly Amharic.
Ethiopians speak different Semitic, Cushitic, and Omotic languages. My birth mother as an Oromo, so she spoke Timas Dialect, an Omotic language.

Kenyans have over 300 tribes. They speak English and Swahili (an Arab slave language) and have hundreds of languages.

Kola

Post Number: 2137

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 02:46 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Black AmericanKing!!! :-)

I've missed you.

Yes---those sisters are beautiful. And the Ethiopian women in D.C. are generally friendlier than the ones in Los Angeles and Chicago and N.Y.

Afroamerican
Regular Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 06:23 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Afro-Americans are right to be upset!

Ethopians along with West Africans do NOT represent the Afro-American community. Our history and cultures are nothing alike. For example, ethopians and other Africans not only have their own "language", culture and style of dress but they also have a homeland/Nation that they belong to. They were also 99% MAJORITY in their homeland unlike the 10 or 11% AA minority throughout American history.

I think its dishonest to pretend that there are absolutely no differences betweens Blacks in the US because that's flat out bullshit.

What I would like to see is AA get back on track and start pulling our resources together as a community and start opening our own businesses. Its big of a lie as it may seem I still don't think its too late for us. 100 years ago, everyone thought intergration and equal rights for American "negros" was a joke! Now look at us...........

However, this won't ever come about as long as we allow ANYBODY to represent us. We will never become a strong people as long as we define ourselves as simply being "blacks" or "minorities" (which really is nothing but the definition for anything NON-WHITE). We are Afro-Americans, and we should have CULTURAL STANDARDS THAT DEFINE US, WHICH IS SOMETHING AN ETHOPIAN OR ANY OTHER AFRICAN WOULD HAVE!

MY POV

Afroamerican
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops.
in my last post I meant to say that the AA community needs "CULTURAL standards that NO OTHER GROUP OF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE".

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 617

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 07:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfroAmerican,

I would agree with you---except I don't think the Ethiopians are trying in any way to represent "African Americans".

They want a street called "Little Ethiopia".

I also never saw West Africans in D.C. attempting to represent "African Americans".

What Africans CAN DO, however---is represent "Black People". And they do that better than any other people I've seen.

It's not African people's fault if Black Americans DON'T VALUE their own culture and don't do anything to salvage, honor and represent it.

If anything, Africans have been encouraging AAs to do just that....and many of us, such as myself, see the "African American" culture as another African country; a part of the African people----which is true.

Stevie Wonder can't even get played on BLACK radio.

But Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand are still able to get played on WHITE radio.

Also...African-American culture is quite a bit LIKE West African culture, and of course, the vast majority of Black Americans still look like their West African ancestors.

Each year, Jamaicans make a pilgrimage to Nigeria where they take part in a "ceremony festival" to honor those Africans who were taken into slavery and forced into becoming "Jamaicans" and "Black Americans". There is a very strong relationship between Jamaica and West Africa, and despite the "claims" by Black Americans that Africans don't want anything to do with Black Americans----many African people have been rejected in their attempts to bridge relationships with AAs.

However, the actor Glyn Turman was approached and now LIVES in Ghana.

Maya Angelou went to Ghana for a 2 week visit and LIVED a total of 8 years in Africa.

Many Black Americans who WANT to have a relationship with their Ancestral Homeland (which is their Birthright) find no problem having that relationship.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afroamerican:

About a month ago, I spoke with a brother who'd done some traveling on the continent; he reminded me of the unique position that we are in as African people in the Americas. We are the only group of people who systematically represent the bloodlines of numerous African nations or so-called tribes. WE are the original pan-Africanists. Yes, we have been separated by land and by time, but you'd be quite surprised at how much of our original cultures still play a part in our daily lives. Yes, we have forged our own culture, but you need to remember that not ALL of the new stuff is productive---many habits that we call "culture" is simply indoctrination by way of enslavement. Not all continental Africans are against us, so I think it is a good opportunity to forge alliances with THOSE positive people and relearn some of the legitimate aspects of the cultures that were taken away from us.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola:

Is Afaan Oromoo (I hope I spelled that correctly.) the mother tongue of your birth mother? I read that, despite common belief, that it was actually the most widely spoken indigenous language in the region. I'm inquiring because I wish to learn a second language (an African one) but want to learn one that's fairly widely used for practical reasons. Thanks again.

Afroamerican
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I say no foriegn Blacks should "represent" us, what I mean is that Afro-Americans should not take "Little Ethopia" street as "ok" or something that represents "Black people".

We should not be satisified until we have our own neighborhood or section/side of town!

Also I don't consider eating fried chicken on Sundays' qualifying as having African culture! Culture to me is brought about my a shared LANGUAGE, CUSTOM and/OR HISTORY!

Afroamerican
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blacklioness,

quite frankly I'm so sick and tired of Afro-American alliances with foriegn communities I don't know what the hell to do. I could literally scream just hearing you mention such a thing.

Its beyond hypocritical for dumb AA leaders to try to shove AA/Hispanic alliances, AA/ African alliances, AA and all people of color alliances, AA and Muslim alliances when are own people do not HELP and unite with themselves.

I've long ago noticed that the only people who want to unite are the damn people who are DISORGANIZED already. Bringing more people into the ball of confusion only HURTS/RETARDS the matter not help it.

Frankly I'm sick of everybody with the kente cloths, and all the long speaches about how they "love mother africa". Ask these same Niggas for a dollar to help fund a private school for Afro-American children and everyone looks crazy!

Now how exactly are we going to untie with 100 million Black foriegners and we can't untie 29 or 30 million Americans with a shared Afro-American history/bloodline???

Kola

Post Number: 2139

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfroAmerican,

I really am not understanding you.

#1---How can Africans NOT represent "blackness/black people".

We are THE Black people!

#2---If Koreans and Italians and Chinese can have areas where they live/congregate, then why not Africans?

#3---Washington D.C. is called "Chocolate City". MOST of the businesses that are "black" in D.C. are owned and ran by Black Americans.

That entire city is overflowing with Black American culture. GEORGETOWN is the capitol of the Blue Vein Mulatto Boule Set. Black Art museums and Afro-American restaurants and clubs are everywhere.

AfroAmerican:

Black Americans burn the hair out of combs, DONT THEY?

Black Americans use the pot liquor from greens in cooking, DONT THEY?

Black Americans eat distinctly "African Foods" like--watermelon, yams, okra, panfried fish, sweet corn breads

Black Americans eat distinctly "Egyptian foods" like---Umfitit (chitlins), Cabbage and Honey with Bread.

Black Americans celebrate the "plump buttocks" on females as a Beauty standard, DONT THEY?

Black Americans braid their hair and hold "religious" ceremonies where MUSIC is a central dominating part of the service, DONT THEY?

Black Americans use West African words that
were brought to America BY SLAVES
such as:

"Okay"... (all of him that is right)

"Nana"... (great mother)

"Dang" (the drumbeat)

"Mah-Mah" (or Mama)

in their daily language.

Black Americans suffer from SICKLE CELL....just like all other African people.

My belief is that you can pick your friends (such as Latinos, etc.)-----but you can't pick your family.

Whether you like it or not, as long as your blood is BLACK, you are automatically related to African people. You really have no choice in the matter----all Black people are related.

Hi BlakLioness :-),

I don't believe that Black Americans are the first "Pan-Africanists" by a long shot.

Unless you're only counting AAs relations with African peoples?

As for the language you mentioned---what "region" are you talking about.

I'm from Omudurman, where Arabic and English were the two most widely spoken languages. My mother almost never spoke, but she spoke from the Oromo cannon of Gadaa Kwilxxu.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afroamerican:

Please don't take what I said out of context or read anything more into it. I am NOT a multiculturalist/multiracialist type of person. I believe in the unity of BLACK people...and this includes Black people in other parts of the world. That's not to say EVERY Black person because you know as I do that there are race traitors all over this globe. However, it would be foolish to overgeneralize and throw away an opportunity to forge GENIUNE alliances with other Blacks who may have something to offer. You need to remember that African Americans (U.S.) do not by far make up the mass of the Black world population...we NEED the strength of other Black populations as they need us. In general, it's not the fault of other Black people that African Americans experience such a hard time unifying---that's OUR fault because it was US who pushed so hard for integration and allowed nonblacks to come in and take over our communities--including dismantling thriving businesses and schools. Black folks are STILL allowing that shit to happen and can't figure out for damn life why Black youth are so freakin' rebellious and so openly, nonproblematically self-hating. Like it or not, we don't have our own languages here---those were taken away from us, remember? Ebonics, in my opinion, doesn't count because the oppressor can still understand you. If there are more African (read that BLACK) people coming into the country, I say our numbers are increasing, and we need to take advantage of that and forge alliances where possible. Remember...these are people who watch us too.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

I'm not talking about the general Black American population; I'm talking about the Pan-African movement itself (re: Garvey, Delaney, etc.) Of course, I could be wrong...so school me if need be. I'm here to share and to learn.

As for the language issue, I was referring to the region around Ethiopia. My research indicated that although Amharic is considered the official language of Ethiopia, that MOST of the people (i.e. Oromos) speak the Cushitic indigenous language called Afaan Oromoo or Oromifaa. You'll have to pardon my spelling if I'm off a bit. The Oromo people comprise well over half the population and are also in Kenya and I believe some parts of the Sudan and Somalia. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but given that, Afaan Oromoo is supposed to be the second most widely spoken INDIGENOUS language in Africa after Hausa. Sooo, how close am I? :-)

Kola

Post Number: 2140

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness,

I really don't know---because I am from Omdurman, Sudan. I came to America at about 8 (I don't know my actual age). If you read the excerpt from my autobiography that I posted, the first 2 chapters, it talks in detail about the area I am from.

I would assume that Afaan Oromoo was my mother's language. She and my Aunt Ramah were "Waaq" Oromo and spoke the Oromo language.

Waaq is the "Crow Religion" and Oromo is the race that decended from the Coffee Bean. The Oromo are the children of the Waaq...and Nubia and Cush are the children of the Waaq Oromo.

My Arab-Egyptian father said he purchased my mother from SOMALIA. The Gisi family of the local Waaq Oromo, who were nomads.

I can speak some of their language and I wrote a poem comprising much of their language. But I just call it "Oromo language"; the Gadaa Kwilxxu (Women's Side)---as African communities have a MALE vs. FEMALE body for language.

As for the Pan-African Movement....again, it's only natural that all your point of reference is through YOUR culture as a Black American.

Black Americans ALWAYS speak as though they are the world's only black people (for instance---Gordon Parks and Spike Lee are "Black" filmmakers but not the legendary Ousmane Sembene of Senegal, who is really the greatest BLACK filmmaker of all time)-----and the reason they do that is because they are the only Blacks to have access to the MEDIA.

So it does appear via MEDIA that only they exist, and subsequently, their image represents all of us...which is why skin lightners and wigs/weaves are quickly spreading on the African continent now, as Blacks worldwide struggle to "get more mixed" like the MEDIA BLACKS, the Black Americans.

Pan-Africanism existed long before the Atlantic Slave Trade and was a reaction to the Arab Slave Trade of Year 700.

Kola

Post Number: 2141

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, Garvey was a Jamaican who came to America and became a leader of the Black Americans.

Like I am a Sudanese who is raised by Black Americans. :-)

Kola

Post Number: 2142

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BlakLioness,

There are many African MEN are prejudiced against Western Blacks...they don't want to be associated, join with....just like AfroAmerican.

I tell these men all the time:

African Immigrants and Black Americans had better LEARN to stick together. #1--it's what our ancestors would want. #2--we are BLOOD family. Not merely "people of color".

Our allegiance should be to each other.

The African WOMEN and the Black American WOMEN are open to bonding and sticking together, I notice.

I am in a "group" in Southern California with African businesswomen---a Tulat (hut).

We now have 12 Black American Women!!!! who have joined the Tulat. One is even bi-racial and 2 are very mixed. All are very smart and want to join as "African" people.

"Black America" is just another African nation.

Blaklioness
First Time Poster
Username: Blaklioness

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

It's all good! Like I said, I'm always learning. But be aware, that I'm not an elitist "Black American" who thinks that we are "IT", and I will be looking up the works of Mr. Sembene.

It's funny that you mention the skin lighteners and perms. I was also in Ghana this summer, and we had a guide who made what I felt was a slightly self-righteous comment about African Americans being a "lost" people. While I wasn't in a position to argue, I did think it quite peculiar that he'd see us as lost...meanwhile I'm looking at hundreds and hundreds of hair salons(even in the most rural of areas) and ads pushing lighteners and hair processing. Almost as bad...a country where ENGLISH is the official language! I know that this is all sanctioned and pushed by the men.

I'm glad you're here for us, Kola. I know it's hard to see with all the attacks...but please remember that it's a war against our existence and your voice is VERY important. As lonely as you may sometimes feel, please remember that you are not alone...We need you, so please keep educating us.

Kola

Post Number: 2143

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:12 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness,

I need you just as much.

Yes, it's lonely---but ONLY because I am struggling to tell the truth.

If I would just be a nice, multi-cultural Pro-World Mother Africa....the whole nation would rise to cheer and embrace me.

Problem is...I am such an IMPERFECT person.

I am like the Jezebel of the African people...the Night Woman.

Placed in the position of saving the people.

I knew nothing about the value Africa...truly....until I was placed in the heart of a Black American family.

I was FORCED to see that we are the same family----stripped and removed from one another.

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:41 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Afroamerican 100%. I am so sick and tired of these damn foreigners coming to America and looking down on Black Americans. Our hypocritical black leaders should stop trying to create an alliance with those damn Arabs, Asians and Latin people. Instead of trying to unite with others, we need to find unity amongst ourselves. I notoiced that a lot of Africans, especially Nigerians, want NOTHING to do with Black Americans. Nigerians who don't like Black Americans, call us AKATA, whatever the hell that means. Those ignorant ass Nigerians come to America and get educated by the white man and looks down on Black Americans. White Americans, Arabs, Asians and Latin people better start respecting Black Americans, because sooner or later we shall unite and once we truly unite somebody is in serious trouble.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 232

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 07:05 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Renata:
--Now, if he hates WOMEN with french braided hair, he has some issues.--

He does!

Everyone:
You made godd points about AAs and hair. Maybe I made a mistake on the frenchbraids, but I've always looked at pictures of men certain groups of west africa with braided ear-length or shouler length hair. So whenever I see black guys over here with their hair braided, I just see them returning to their ancetral styles.
My dad however, finds braided hair of ANY KIND on males unlikable. In other words, He DID fall into that self-hating conditioning.

Blaklioness
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blkamericanking:

Again, I wasn't suggesting uniting with ALL Africans...that would be as stupid as suggesting that we unite with ALL African Americans. You have bad seed in every bunch. By the way, I was just reading about that word "akata" a few days ago...apparently it's something akin to "wild animal" or something. The bottom line is Black people, irregardless of where they come from, who are genuinely concerned about the survival of our people need to ACTIVELY and VOCALLY bestow enemy status on those negroes who betray us. Del Jones once said that we are the only people who consistently fail to punish our traitors; as long as we tolerate foolishness in the name of Jesus, we can look forward to the continuation of the bullshit that you mentioned.

Afroamerican
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola (and everyone really)

I totally understand that Black Americans are the descendants (and RELATED to Africans, particuarly West Africans). However, what I'm trying to say is that I do not see myself as Nigerian, Ghanian, Benin or whatever OTHER WEST AFRICANS SEE THEMSELVES AS. I see myself as Afro-American. I believe we have a unique history her and I think its unfair to lose it in fake kente cloths and all these stupid Latino/Black or "all minorities"/black alliances!

Saying I'm "Black" automatically RELATES ME TO AFRICA.

I'm speaking of my CULTURE/HISTORY now!

I want to see or (Afro-American community) grow and more of my generation start honoring our history! Start stregtheing our community.........

This has NOTHING to do with Africans or anyone else.

This has to do with changing ourselves. Bringing foriegn people into this "rebirth" only complicates the issues!

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 621

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, AfroAmerican, I am from Africa and I love your people....and I am well aware you have your own culture, etc.

I am all for you, whatever you want to do.

But please accept me as your sister and wife.

Not "ALL" Africans are against Black Americans, and I am surrounded by intelligent, mostly political Africans who are most certainly not.

But you are right----it's YOUR responsibility to protect, honor and preserve your culture.

And you are right---Black Americans don't generally do that.

They are "transitory" people; always changing and forgetting even their most recent ancestors.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 253

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blklioness,

Learn Arabic of Sudan, Swahili of Kenya and Arhamic of Ethiopia. Those are the genral languages of that part of Africa. Swahili is the easiest to learn, so you might want to grab those books. Here's your first sentence, the very first one I learned while I resided in Kenya many years ago: "Mimi na taka Chakula" :-) Meaning, "I need food". LOL.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 254

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blkamericanking: I agree with Afroamerican 100%. I am so sick and tired of these damn foreigners coming to America and looking down on Black Americans. Our hypocritical black leaders should stop trying to create an alliance with those damn Arabs, Asians and Latin people. Instead of trying to unite with others, we need to find unity amongst ourselves. I notoiced that a lot of Africans, especially Nigerians, want NOTHING to do with Black Americans. Nigerians who don't like Black Americans, call us AKATA, whatever the hell that means. Those ignorant ass Nigerians come to America and get educated by the white man and looks down on Black Americans. White Americans, Arabs, Asians and Latin people better start respecting Black Americans, because sooner or later we shall unite and once we truly unite somebody is in serious trouble.

My respond: Blk King, you know at first, I agreed with AfroAmerican but then I saw the part where he diagrees with uniting the people of color in America. Don't you understand that the people of color, both latinos and AAs, as well as Africans are the future of this country?

It is estimated that by the year 2020, there will be more hispanics than whites and blacks as well as other races. Guys, black people have been moved and separated from the mother land for years, it is something that's never going to change. We're the producers of all these cultures. For one, Jamaica, the fabulous vacation spot. Just like Kola mentioned, and wether you believe us or not, AAs and and Africans who migrate to America are one. And not only that, we all immitate each other's cultures. It is not something anyone can control, the union of these group of people. In other words, Kola said, "Nothing can break a family".

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 235

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola:
--And you are right---Black Americans don't generally do that.

They are "transitory" people; always changing and forgetting even their most recent ancestors.--

I do believe KWANZAA was created under such mentality. Heck, I still see people sporting 'fro's and naming their kids "bonquisha" and stating that they're being authentically african. [*sigh*]

Some AA's try to connect but get it SO WRONG because they fail to realize that they can't fully get from point 'A' to Point 'B' while blocking out those middle links, a.k.a the middle passage, slavery, and Jim crow.

It's like the european jews getting in touch with their earliest past while skipping over the holocaust era. No one's history is pure and pretty but it doesn't psychologically help one's quest for an identity to skip over the parts that they don't like.
--------
African Queen:
--It is estimated that by the year 2020, there will be more hispanics than whites and blacks as well as other races.--

Even if hispanics replace whites in the "hierarchy" it won't change our position being at the bottom. We will just have one exploitive group replaced with another.
But your right for one thing: We have to unite, stop accepting other groups representations of us, shun the members who make us look bad, and get our friggin' acts together!No other races will give us higher status, we have to demand it, and stop looking for the acceptance.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen:

Thanks for the tip, but I was actually looking to learn an INDIGENOUS language. Arabic isn't indigenous, and some (including Kola) believe that neither is Swahili. I was also lead to believe that Amharic is a Semitic language, so I'm not even sure now if anything "semitic" qualifies as indigenous. However, I'm discovering that materials for the languages you mentioned are much easier to find than Afaan Oromoo...sadly because if well over 30 million people are reported to speak it, there should be an ample supply of material available to learn it.

Something else...be aware that "hispanic" is an all encompassing term. There are people who've been classified as "hispanic" that would be CLEARLY identified as Black in the United States....and I ain't talking about your Halle Berry types either. I disagreed with Afroamerican and Blackamericanking because they lumped continental African (read that Black) people with other races of foreigners. We need to be aware of allowing nonblacks to use us to promote THEIR agenda over our own, and we need to hold other Blacks equally accountable with American Blacks for remembering our connection and responsibility to each other.

Kola

Post Number: 2146

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Semetic is INDIGENOUS, Blaklioness.

The Falasha and Cushitic peoples created the first Hebrew languages.

The first JEWS were Black Africans.

There are 2 million Black Jews in Sudan and Ethiopia each. And Semetic language is definitely African.

The problem is that Muslim and Christian NEW WORLD Blacks try to suppress all "indigenous" African religions.

The NILOTIC African religions were all Goddess/mother based and many of them were Semetic.

Kola

Post Number: 2147

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 06:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness,

I feel like a big dunce.

My charter leader in the SPLA has emailed me that my mother's language is indeed called Afaan Oromoo.

I just called it "Oromo" language all my life.

He said that millions in Sudan, Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibuti, Eritrea and Somalia speak my mother's language.

Guess what?

"I" have been speaking/writing in it for years and didn't even know what it was called.

As I said, it's just Auntie Ramah's OROMO to me.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 09:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-) Kola,

Again, it's all good. Now...perhaps you'll teach it to me!!??? :-)

Kola

Post Number: 2149

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Blaklioness,

I could only teach you basic stuff from the women's language half.

I am in no way a master of the Oromo dialect, I struggle with it.

Blaklioness
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

There's a women's language half? What's that mean?

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 116

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afroamerican, I had a good friend once who was Nigerian. She told me that the reason they don't get along with black Americans is because they come here and are ridiculed for being African. My own sister makes fun of African people, ESPECIALLY dark skinned West Africans.

Here in Atlanta, she USED TO live in Fulton County/Atlanta, but had so many problems from her neighbors that she moved. She was fired from her job when her supervisor asked if she could help her do some voodoo, and she got offended. The supervisor (a black woman) made up some stupid charge that she assaulted a patient.

She moved to Gwinnett County, where a lot of African, Asian, and Hispanic people live. She figured that it would be easier living among other foreigners who would know what it's like to be a foreigner in this country. I personally don't blame her.

You may think that Nigerians have a problem with US, but the truth is that they have a problem with us because we have a problem with them. They come here trying to fit in with us, but their accents give them away, and we push them away from us. (I wonder why we would have a problem with other black people? hmmmm.)

You can go to malls here and walk down the street, and the African men are so much more respectful in speaking to Black American women than any Black American man is.

Also, I get sick of seeing people on the bus leaving Asian businesses, complementing Hispanic girls on how pretty their hair/skin is, and as soon as an African steps onto the bus, everybody hushes except for a few who are mocking the African person.

And I wouldn't even CARE if the Nigerians didn't have a reason to look down on us (which they do, btw). Hell, EVERYONE ELSE looks down on us, but somehow that's not a problem.

So, as I said before, African people can come here and damn near take over if they feel like it, and I will still go to their businesses, and will still respect them. Or is that something only Asians and Hispanics are entitled to?

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 627

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Renata.

I often try to point out to Black Americans

---how INSULTING it is

for West Africans to watch movies/videos made by Black Americans very often......images that express how much AAs hate their African roots.....but they never can understand what I mean.

Our fellow board member, AfricanQueen is a Dinka from Sudan.

She and her 10 yr. old Sister have been chased by Black American children and called "Blackie" and had bottles thrown at them because they are so PURE looking.

MAJOR POINT

Black Americans do not think about how JEALOUS they make West Africans---by constantly praising Egypt and Ethiopia and constantly talking about their INDIAN ancestors who they can name by tribe---Cherokee, etc.

But they cannot name ONE West African tribe!

It's a major blow and AAs do not realize this.

Africans often scorn Black Americans as a whole---because EVERYTHING about AA culture seems to reveal a deep hatred for Africans, especially WEST AFRICANS.

It's also like pulling teeth to get AAs to realize WHICH Africans they should expect to bond with----namely the groups they came from.

For instance, Senegalese LOVE Black Americans, because millions of AAs are originally from Senegal.

No Black American can convince me they went to SENEGAL and were treated bad. The Senegalese and Gambians WORSHIP Black Americans---sometimes, they will not even let them pay for their hotel room. Many have testified to that.

But Ethiopians in Ethiopia cannot stand AAs---because you are not their child. You are not their blood. They despise "Negroid" races as it is.

Ethiopians DO NOT like Nigerians.

AAs do not understand the different factions.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

What's the general consensus among other African countries?...I mean in terms of general acceptance of African Americans.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 120

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:34 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't answer for Kola, as she would have a better idea than myself.

But, I personally have met and gotten along great with Nigerians, Gambians, Ghanians, Kenyans, Senegalese, Ivory (coasters?), Somalis, Liberians, Sudanese. But they were a little guarded at first. Probably thought I would dislike them.

The nicest (IMO): Gambians, Ghanaians, Somali, and Sudanese. Senegalese, people from Ivory Coast, and Sudanese seemed GENUINELY sweet, friendly, respectful, even somewhat innocent. I've never met more humble people.

The Kenyans I've met seemed interested in material wealth and social status too much. To me, Cameroonians are very colorstruck, and seemed somewhat...promiscuous.

Gambian men seemed a little...possessive. I had a chance to date them a couple of times before, but never did because of this behavior.

All of the Egyptians I've met (except ONE) were colorstruck. (Funny thing, one woman I know is married to an Egyptian, who only married her because he wanted "black" children, and was disappointed when their son was born light skinned. Well, I guess he was colorstruck, just in the opposite direction.)

Keep in mind that I'm generalizing based on what I've personally seen, and on what my friends have experienced, and on the behavior of people I've worked with. It's very possible their feelings about us is different when they're in their own community.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 121

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry, BlackLioness, I completely answered a question you weren't even asking.

I really don't know how they accept us as a whole.

But I (being American) wouldn't be privy to how they "REALLY" feel.

I'm really wanting to know Kola's answer, too!

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 01:48 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Renata,

Thanks! Those are still legitimate experiences. The reason I asked Kola was because she is directly from the continent and has traveled it fairly extensively I presume. She indicated, I believe, speaking some of the languages, so I'm sure was privy to what is often said behind closed doors. Overall though, I strongly suspect that we have to go by individuals. I've had different experiences myself with continental folks (Cameroonian, Nigerian, Ghanians, and Ethiopians), and I've found them to be as diverse in attitudes as Black folks here...good, bad, and indifferent.

Anunaki3600
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Anunaki3600

Post Number: 98

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:24 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For anyone or any people who want to be loved by others have to love themselves first. You cannot call others biggoted names and expect them to loooove you. In Nairobi, Kenya, AA's (both men and women)hardly mix and relate with Africans. They are toooo timid and tooo American to relate with Africans. They hang around mostly with White Americans and HATE Africans. AA's here hardly live near Africans, visit African restaurants, and tend to associate mostly with Whites. While on the other hand Europeans (whites) and White American Women mix with Africans without any fear. They will travel in the local buses (mixing with locals), eat, go out dancing in local joints, etc without fearing the Africans around them. In Nairobi, you may see a white women walking home in the evening (after dark) alone in a working class neighbourhood greeting people on the way and buying milk, etc from the local shop. AA's will mostly be seen in upscale, well guarded malls among themselves or mostly with Whites. So my main point here is that AA's are not having problems with Africans in the U.S. only but also in Africa. So all this bullshit about Africans looking down on AA's is just bullshit. Just be honest and say that you are more comfortable in Paris than in Nairobi (with whites than with Africans). Too bad that in the last 400 years you have lost language, culture and everything else but you BLACK skin which you wish you had. Just a Whitw in Black skin.

Kola

Post Number: 2151

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:30 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all---

MOST of the Africans who can afford to come to the U.S. and live---are from upper class and well to do families, no matter how dark and haggard they may look to AAs.

Therefore, it's really not good to go by the Africans over here. They are NOT the "masses".

And it's the POOR MASSES (the African majority) who care the most for Black Americans.

I would say that ALL "negroid" races of Africans

(1) Love Black Americans
(2) Are Jealous of BA
(3) Are disappointed in BA
(4) Want to West Africa to be reunited with BA (5) Are patriotic to Africa, and therefore think themselves to be the best respresentatives of Africa.

Again---I believe the Senegalese, Gambians, Ghanians, Malians....love Black Americans the most.

Naturally the Non-Negroid Africans...the Nilotics, Cushites (North and East Africans)
Hermetic and Semetics...

...have a lot of MIXTURE from outside Africa.

(I am not counting Non-Black Africans such as Berbers and Boudedins, because they are not a part of OUR PEOPLE)

We THE BLACKS---are a people.

We are the tima (the result of great fire)..the "bloodberry".

I have never encountered any African from anywhere on the continent who did not include the Black Americans, Brazilians, Jamaicans when discussing the "tima". They are always included as part of the "bloodberry"---our mother's LOST CHILDREN----as Africans say.

While I would say that "colorism" is rapidly spreading throughout the entire continent--BECAUSE OF African American culture being shipped into African now----I still would say that North Africa and East Africa are the MOST colorist, most elitist, most vain-glorious regions on the continent with (1) Somalia (2) Ethiopia and (3) Egypt being the absolute worst, most "supremacist" nations in Africa....in that order.

Sudan, because it is the land of the Blue Blacks (which is what the word Sudan means)...is torn apart by colorism in the Arab/Nubian north...but is very Black African in the south. The lightskinned people are not a "natural" occurrence of the genetic code...and I believe that is what causes the problem. The color difference DIVIDES us, because of invaders that have mixed the blood.

It makes a difference, because you cannot mate with Charcoal people and stay yellow or brown. And the light people want to retain their blood tie to "supremacist" stature, which is set by people OUTSIDE Africa.

Ethiopians generally don't like anybody who isn't Ethiopian. For some reason, they especially hate Nigerians. Those two are terrible rivals.

The Mixed RULING CLASS yellow/brown Ethiopians are not the majority---but they are the ones you see on t.v. and they rule the big cities. They are the FACE of that nation....even though the masses are Blue Black Nilotic people who are more in tune with the rest of Africa than the light skin class.

But the light people in Ethiopia are NOT Mulattoes--because their mixture took place thousands of years ago (not with the Italians) but with the Persian and Arabic and Yemenese. So it is now their natural LOOK and they IN-breed.

They are very strict about that.

Egypt is an Arab Muslim nation of invaders, not indigenous Africans----yet they have MIXED with and lived in Egypt for thousands of years now. So naturally they consider all "negroid" blacks to be "niggers". They also don't like dark brown Somali and Ethiopians, but do consider those to be superior to Ghanians and Nigerians.

Egyptians and Ethiopians like the TOURIST DOLLARS of the Black American and the wealth and popularity-------but consider them to be of an inferior "blood stock". Of course, they would love ALICIA KEYS....but not INDIA ARIE. A dark skinned Black American MALE could fit in, but not a dark skinned female. That kind of thing.

Of course, these are Generalizations.

I know many sweet, friendly Egyptians, Ethiopians, etc. But I am speaking in Nationalistic terms.

And African people, by virtue of the cultures, are far less "individualized" than Westerners.

They believe in..."the village"...the Clan.

In fact, we are VERY MUCH like Europeans. We are extremely clannish. I am a good example.

We believe in ownership of EACH OTHER. We believe in Blood and we believe in FAMILY, above all.

It doesn't matter how nice someone ACTS towards you. I'm telling you what the "cultural values" are.

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:43 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen,

I understand that people of color are the future in this country but Black Americans should only unite with foreign blacks if they truly want to unite with us. Asians, Arabs and Latin people come to America and kiss the ground white people walk on and act racist against Black Americans in order to be accpeted by whites. Black Americans would be stupid to even think about uniting with people who show us no respect. You and Kola really seem to love Black Americans and that really touched my heart.

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:54 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

You say AA culture seem to reveal a deep hatred for Africans or West Africans. I really don't see how. And you also say that a dark skinned African American male would fit in, in Ethiopia. If Ethiopians are so color struck, how would a dark skinned AA male fit it?

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 239

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 08:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola:
--But they cannot name ONE West African tribe!--

Oh a challenge!:-)

Uh let's see, there's the Fulani, the Yoruba, the Akan, the Ashanti, the Wodaabe......uhmmmmm,what else? The Hausa, and the Tuareg.

Well, that's most of the West african tribes I can remember by heart.

When I was a little girl, Fellow AAs would adopt the Clothing and culture of the Ashanti, oddly combined it with Akan kente cloth and swahili language and pass it off as the main culture of the entire continent. That's like using only Chinese and Japanese culture with the korean language to represent all of Asia. And if you didn't embrace that warped idea of africa, you were considered "self-hatng". God, what morons.

As time passed, I learned that I wasn't the only AA feeling disolluioned. It's the continuing habit of these so-called "teachers" picking and choosing tribes for us to be exposed to that dissapoints some AAs. Don;t get me wrong, I like the Akan and Ashanti people, but it's the continent's diversity that gives me pride.

Afroamerican
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is totally off the subject:

However, I remember meeting my first East African. I realized he was either Somali or Ethopian the minute I saw him. (Actually, he was a cab driver and I was his customer so I started making conversation on our ride to the mall).

I asked him what country he was from and he said Somalia.

I told him I thought he was East African because I've been told that East Africans and West Africans look totally different. He told me yeah, and that I looked like I was from "his country".

He then goes on to tell me that there are "3 types of people" in his country! At first I thought he meant 3 races so I say "so you mean these people aren't Black?". And he say's "no, but there are 3 SHADES of people living there".

That struck me as strange (and colorist) that he would mentioned there being 3 shades of people when I hadn't even asked anything about color! It was like he WANTED me to know that every Somali wasn't a dark brown like him!!! I then begin to think (really know) that I didn't look the least bit "Somali", he probably just said that because I was obviously Black and light brown in complexion.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 124

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie, believe it or not, you think that you know a 'little' about Africa, but you know more about it than most other Americans I've met. A lot of people think that Africa is a country, and don't differentiate one country from another.

You still have people my mother's age who will see something on TV and basically say "I don't want to go to AFRICA, it's bad over there, with the wars and famines, etc.", and I have to tell her OVER AND OVER that perhaps certain COUNTRIES are not ok to visit. Just because Rwanda looks bad, doesn't mean you can't visit Ghana.

Also, Anunaki, your post is very interesting. I used to wonder myself why South Africa is shown on tv so often as representative of Africa (apart from reports of apartheid). When famous people visit Africa, they always choose South Africa. Then it hit me that this country's government is based on a European model, and there are plenty of white people around. So maybe media execs figure that's what we would accept more.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As long as Blacks push integration as a sociopolitical "virtue", we continue to create the inroads that divide us as a race family. Nonblacks (particularly whites) have become masters at secretly initiating that divide, and Blacks have become even bigger masters at perpetuating it. Once a "black" face is put on the mind of white supremacy, it gives whites room to sit back and look innocent while we continue to drift farther apart. The bottom line is that we who know and wish to change the dynamics need to increase social pressure against the ignorance.

Blackamericanking:

Blacks in America demonstrate that hatred through actions and words...in many cases, a lack thereof. I was listening to an online radio station recently where a speaker (a conscious brother) played a brief clip from the performance of some so-called "black" comedian who'd apparently visited South Africa. He virtually praised the coloureds, all the while making crude, demeaning jokes about the native Black people. In the background you could hear overwhelming laughter by other so-called "blacks". Physical attacks like those experienced by Africanqueen have also been reported. Explain to me if you will why in those instances the asses of those perpetraitors were not kicked..immediately?? We should create an even bigger outrage about those attacks than we do about similar ones from outsiders because there is NO greater sin than hatred of self. In other words, we continue to set up tolerance for this behavior and then expect POSITIVE results?? EVERY African African ain't against us...we MUST forge ties with THOSE people. We should support the Ethiopian business moves as long as they understand that that responsibility is a two-way street.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 629

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 03:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black Americans demonstrate their hatred for Africa.....MAINLY.....through their art.

Black American King...

did you know that AFRICAN WOMEN boycotted the film "HOTEL RWANDA"? (which was produced by a Black American man?)---where ALL the leading ladies in the film were played by Mulatto Biracial women while all the males were cast looking pure?

did you see the other film "SOMETIME IN APRIL" about the same exact subject that was far superior to Hotel Rwanda and had women who actually LOOKED LIKE Tutus and Hutus?

Have you ever seen "SHAFT IN AFRICA?" with Richard Roundtree and how every African woman in the film is portrayed as butterscotch yellow?

When the film screened in Ghana---the people threw bottles at the screen!

THESE IMAGES....pass on coded messages.

MOST "Black American" music videos erase the IMAGE of our black mother----which sends the message that none of us should be born.

The Eddie Murphy film "Nutty Professor" had a very gross joke about African people's looks---targeting the African woman's flat, long dried up breasts and naming "the African bootyscratcher".

You do not see African films.

Africans CONSTANTLY see works of art by Black Americans.

And 90% of Black American art, in any form, is devoutly COLORIST.

And NOW...this constant message has resulted in African teenagers "internalizing" these images of White Supremacy (which is what Hip Hop promotes) and the self-hatred SPREADS to African people.

Little boys grow up and do...what they've seen their fathers do.

Everything we do is setting an EXAMPLE for masses and masses of poor, uneducated naive black people who look to the visible blacks for guidance.

Black American art, in general, DOES NOT affirm blackness.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 631

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another thing that Black Americans do---that degrades Black people-----is present Non-blacks as "BLACKS".

Nicole Ritchie

Mariah Carey

Vin Diesel

THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT BLACK.

But Black Americans think so little of black people that they will designate any and everyone as a black person.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

What was the REAL story behind what happened in Rwanda in the 1990's? I've been asking but can't seem to get a straight answer?

Afroamerican
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry, but I've had this discussion with Africans on another board! The topic about Hotel Rowanda and the main attress being Biracial.

I don't see what all the fuss was about. I believe she's Nigerian and Jewish. Plus she looks VERY "Black" (totally UNMIXED as far as I'm concerned). I told the people that I would have much rather had this African looking woman play the part than some American woman such as Beyonce!

I continue to scratch my head on this issue!For some reason people don't get why I support half White Halle Berry playing the role of a Black woman before blue eyed Vanessa Williams! It isn't a matter of ancestry! Both are of African descent. This is a matter of who's the better REPRESENTATIVE OF THE PEOPLE!!!!

http://www.actionaidspace.org/news/images/hotel_rwanda_la.jpg

http://www.actionaidspace.org/news/images/hotel_rwanda_la.jpg

I think the actress on Hotel Rowanda represents "Blackness" very well, half White or not!

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 632

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course you think so.

You're an African American.

Which is the EXACT point I was making.

Did you see the film "Sometime In April" about the same subject?

By the way---I joined in Boycotting the film with other African women.

Why can't AUTHENTIC BLACK women ever be cast in the roles of BLACK WOMEN?

And for the record---"biracial" Tutus in Rwanda are about MY COLOR....as the film "Somewhere In April" showed. They cast realistic women in those roles.....that AFRICAN audiences could believe.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 633

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness,

I've spent my life dealing with the politics of the SUDAN, my homeland. That alone is overwhelming.

I don't know anything other than the surface story in Rwanda.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 634

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, let me ask you this, AFRO-AMERICAN...

Since 87% of Black American women are supposedly DARKER than a brown paper bag and are mostly BROWN to Blue Black

....WHY IS IT that 80% of the Actresses portraying BLACK WOMEN are always Light skinned, mixed or Bi-racial?

Even the brown ones---Zoe Saldana and so many others are MIXED.

Why can't you recognize RACISM when it's applied to the FEMALE HALF of the race?

The vast majority of BLACK WOMEN are Brown skinned women who still look somewhat Africoid.

Why can't we see this represented when LEADING LADIES are cast?

It's because of colorstuck BLACK MEN like you who don't see anything racist about the MUSIC VIDEOS or the magazines or the movies that are made----but then have the nerve to call the WHITE MAN a racist.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 712

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Seriously, have you ever contacted any media outlets regarding your feelings? Just curious.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 637

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MOON....I was part of the Video Petition that was sent to MGM regarding the film.

Over 100 African women appeared on camera telling "WHY" they're sick of seeing this blatant colorism in films made about African women.

ONLY the light mixed women are chosen to play leading lady roles---and overwhelmingly MISCAST.

Riahann Benson may come from GHANA....but not even ONE HALF of 1% of the population looks like her.

There is a large number of BLACK EGYPTIANS---yet the media never EVER...never, never....photograph or show these people.

Why do Mulattoes always have to represent Black women?

Yes. In EVERY book I've written, in countless speeches and in countless phone calls, emails, etc.....I have pointed this out to MEDIA OUTLETS.

By erasing our real mother....they continue to breed out and erase our blackness.

That's the whole point.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 638

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 07:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AFROAMERICAN....why can't these women EVER be cast?

You don't find any of these women beautiful or WORTHY of representing BLACK-AFRICAN women?

b

fg

rt

pp

drt

vcdf

nmm

bnmk

rtyu

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 584

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 01:35 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"But the location - near U Street - faces resistance from some in the community who want to preserve the area's historic significance."

I'm completely turned off by D.C. and it's colorist past. The fact that they (AAs) want to preserve any of it is repulsive to me. If this were another predominately black city I'd probably take the side of the AAs. But I'm going with the Ethiopians on this one; besides, it seems they've invested a lot of hard work into making the neighborhood better.

Tonya

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 70

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 05:30 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anunaki3600,

Black Americans were stripped of their African culture, so you cannot expect for us to act African or fit in when we are visiting Africa. I am AA and we do not act or want to be white. Maybe the few AA's who visited Kenya tend to act white but the majority of AA's are not like that. Europeans who visit Africa don't fear Africans because they have control over Africa and know they can do whatever they want in Africa, especially in countries such as Kenya.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 241

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:39 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,
What tribe is the woman in the 6th picture from?

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 242

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 09:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not in response to any , just gotta say this:

These days, non-blacks will not do anything until they get the "OK" from black people. But As long as AA's continue to be confused about themselves , we're gonna continue confusing the white people.

*Some want to be "black", others "african american".

*Some find an image on tv or the movies offensive while others don't.

* some AA' try to be the abbassador for all of us while others keep reminding whites that "we're not all the same."

*Some blame the lack of work effort within certain individuals, others blame "whitey".

*Some think ebonics is a legitimate dialect while others consider it "bad english".

*"We need a leader"/"No we don't".

* being yourself vs. "keeping it real"

*Al sharpton or Condi Rice? enough said.

For non-blacks who WANT to understand us, they'll
never get a clear idea with so much polarization among us.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 588

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 01:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie

These days, non-blacks will not do anything until they get the "OK" from black people.

Tonya:

That's an interesting point but I think the reverse is more true. Since slavery, black people will not do ANYTHING until they get the "OK" from white people. For example, our news doesn't become "news" until "Time", "Newsweek", CNN, FOX, NBC, ect. says so. It doesn't matter what "Ebony", "Essense", "The Black Observer", "The Black Republican", or BET says -- Not even to us.

Also:

*Some think ebonics is a legitimate dialect while others consider it "bad english".

Tonya:

IT'S BOTH.

And:

* being yourself vs. "keeping it real"

Tonya:

SAME THING.

But, again, your point was very interesting.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 589

Rating: 

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 02:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another thing, Roxie

"Keeping it real" doesn't mean acting black or acting more black. Bryant Gumble is "keeping it real" because it's apparent he's being himself. You can tell that that's the way he is, therefore, he comes across natural. For the most part, people are very transparent so it's easy to tell when someone is not being themselves (unnatural).... And, oftentimes, you can also tell that they're being that way in order to be accepted. The older you get, Roxie, the more you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 590

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops. I meant, "not being themself".

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 591

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nobody believes that true "Oreos" are faking it so "keeping it real" doesn't apply to them. The black middle class has a BIG misunderstanding of the phrase "keeping it real" - which is why they don't like it.

Tonya

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 09:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully, this will provide at least some additional perspectives...interesting read...

http://whgbetc.com/ifbm/africans-african-americans-relations.html

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 09:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some additional insight into what continental Africans may see when they look at African Americans...

http://whgbetc.com/ifbm/racism-colorism-and-power.html

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 244

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 08:27 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,Blaklioness,

Some people out there (blacks AND non-blacks) STILL think "keeping it real" means dressing or speaking hip-hop or some other image they see on tv. Remember how some people said the Cosby's werent a "real" depiction of black life? Belive it or not, some people ACTUALLY accept Tv's depiction of certain black characters like them as "oreos" or acting "white". This negative propaganda is a boost of false self-worth for some blacks and a serious deception for non-blacks.These people don't know the true meaning of "oreo"(or "uncle tom" for that matter).

In the end, black kids who ARE being themselves end up being harrased or for not fitting the other black kid's superficial idea of "keeping it real".

To be defined by non-blacks is easy to ignore,they don't know us, but to be defined by fellow BLACKS makes more of a difference.

My point(In response to blacklioness's links):

Some non-blacks may not be CONCIOUSLY perpetuating these illusions, but ignorantly continue them by going to what they find familiar (the brainwashed blacks) for reference,like that white TV exec in "bamoozled".

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 245

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 08:41 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Annunaki:
--(from blackamericanking: )"Black Americans were stripped of their African culture,"--

That's a myth I used to believe myself. We may not have retained as much as maybe, brazil, surinam, or the islands, but we still have the basic fundamentals of african culture. Besides, black people in Iraq and India have lost connection with so much more ,so we're pretty lucky.:-)

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 246

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 08:51 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,
--"The older you get, Roxie, the more you'll be able to see what I'm talking about."--

As I grow older, most of my contemporaries remain 16 years old (in their minds, that is). Scares the HELL out of me!

Blaklioness
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie:

Yes, it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy...a very sick one at that. You know there are some researchers who are beginning to find that we are so mentally lost that much of the plantation mindset is actually being recorded on our DNA! How true that is I don't know, but it damn sure looks like it. Scary. Nonblacks are taking advantage of Black sickness...and average Black people in this day and age are VERY mentally challenged as a result of what's happened to us and REMAIN very much in denial about it.

You know it's funny that you mentioned areas like Brazil and other Latin American and Caribbean locals. I've shared information with others before about the difference between how the oppressors socialized North American Blacks versus those in South America/Caribbean. You should remember that, more or less, some of us were dominated by Western Europeans (English, etc.), and others were taken by Southern Europeans (Portuguese, Spanish, etc.) Those who were enslaved by the West (like those in the U.S.) were under a very directly separatist/aggressionist policy whereby you KNEW/KNOW where you stood for the most part; here, we were forcefully separated from our language and cultural traditions. Those of us occupied by Southern Europe were enslaved largely through indirect, assimilationist policies where the illusion of acceptance through integration was perpetuated; so you had many in those areas who maintained more direct connections with original culture and language than we did. HOWEVER, the policy itself was more deceptive than what we often faced, because it pushed the idea of racial assimilation on the surface but underhandedly maintained the tenants and rankings of the white supremacist ideology which founded it. So, you can go to a place like Brazil and find many hyprocrits and ignorant folks discussing the beauty and peacefulness of their "nonracist" country; meanwhile government sanctioned death squads are out murdering the Blackest of the Black children on the streets. White standards of beauty are still pushed HEAVILY. I purchased a book some years ago that was written by a Black Brazilian man that explodes the myths being perpetuated about Brazilian race relations. His name is Abdias Do Nascimento, and his book is entitled: "Brazil: Mixture or Massacre?: Essays in the Genocide of a Black People". It's a worthwhile read.

Renata
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 126

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The actress from Hotel Rwanda looks unmixed to Black Americans, but she doesn't look like ANY African I've ever seen.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 601

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie:

Remember how some people said the Cosby's werent a "real" depiction of black life

Tonya:

That's not what they mean by "keeping it real". I'm sure you understand that that's absurd -- Why not lend the same kind of courtesy to others. They're not saying that black people like the Cosbys don't exist or that they are acting fake, all they're saying is most blacks are not like them. And that's true. So why not keep it real (represent real life). That's what they're saying.

Roxie:

As I grow older, most of my contemporaries remain 16 years old (in their minds, that is). Scares the HELL out of me!

Tonya:

Acting and knowing are two different things. They know better. It's just that they respond (act) otherwise for whatever reason. Hopefully, you'll never find out why, but don't count your chickens before they hatch -- That's both senseless and arrogant.

Tonya

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 248

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness:
--".... we are so mentally lost that much of the plantation mindset is actually being recorded on our DNA!"--

That would explain one of my pathetic cousins.:-)

also:

--"So, you can go to a place like Brazil and find many hyprocrits and ignorant folks discussing the beauty and peacefulness of their "nonracist" country;"--

Even Castro's regime couldn't eliminate Cuba's systematic racism. You know, I always wondered how Celia cruz and other black cubans thought of
race relations there.
-------
Tonya:
--"They know better."--

Trust me, I've talked to some of them. The deepest conversation I've had was whether ashlee simpson should be forgiven for her lipsynching! Another girl I know almost got hit by a car because she crosses the street without looking (this ain't the first time either). My own cousin (the loser mentioned to blaklioness)knowingly bought a car with NO BRAKES (O_o!). ALL of the people I mentioned are 22 and older, and are just a few examples. So, They DONT know better. I blame their stupid parents.

--------
To anyone that can awnser:

In Hotel Rwanda, you know those ladies at the bar who identified themselves as Hutu and tutsi respectively to the journalist? Were they mixed or pure African?

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 249

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:15 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya:
Help me! I'm surronded by morons! ^^'

It's hard NOT to be arrogant when you're forced to argue with bona-fide fools who try to carry their high school statuses over into adulthood. My intelligence is the only way I put them in their place. Yeah it's predatory, but then, times have changed.:-)

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

I've wondered myself whether the dilemma in Rwanda was one of color or not. Someone told me that the indigenous Blacks (Hutus) went full-scale against the mixed children of the Dutch (?) (Tutsis), and I presume it was because of their belief that the Dutch were deliberately empowering the Tutsis to work against the Hutus. The Hutus struck back....big time, and so that's what the murders were about. At least that's my uninformed theory. As a whole, African Blacks don't tend to lump mixed types in with their own, and unlike African Americans who are trained by slavery to be submissive and take a back seat, many of them will fight back.

Kola

Post Number: 2161

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

The mixed or biracial Tutsi does not look yellow---but is BROWN like I am.

The HBO film "Sometime In April" with Idris Elba told the same story but cast real Tutsi women...who are about Angela Bassett's color, because of mixture.

To your American eye--those women would not look mixed AT ALL. They're dark brown and have very strong African features.

A Black American with an African name produced the film "Hotel Rwanda".

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola, what are the Tutsis mixed with? I have seen some with thin lips but they didn't really look mixed.

Blkamericanking

Post Number: 76

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola, what are the Tutsi mixed with? I have seen some with thin lips but they didn't really look mixed.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 663

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dutch colonists raped the women.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 256

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:55 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People,

The Nigerians I see in America look just like the AAs. They have the long hair and light skin.. Shouldn't no AA make fun of them.. Should never happen. I'm tired of black folks hatin on each other for being blk. SICK.

Kola,

Please stop using me as an example in the "Being made fun of for being black" category. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 681

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:20 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfricanQueen,

I sincerely apologize to you.

I know you're not a victim and I should've been more sensitive.

Sorry, my love.

KOLA

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 634

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 02:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya:
Help me! I'm surronded by morons! ^^'

It's hard NOT to be arrogant when you're forced to argue with bona-fide fools who try to carry their high school statuses over into adulthood

Roxie,

Poor thing! I feel your pain -- I was there once. It'll get better but it's gonna take a minute. Most people don't know their asses from a hole in the ground untill they're about 30. The kids you described will probably take a little longer than that so hang in there. Keep doin what you're doin and you'll be fine.

Tonya

Blkamericanking

Post Number: 77

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:47 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen,

AA's shouldn't make fun of any African, whether an African is dark, brown or light skinned. I would never hate or dislike an African for being black. I have met Nigerians, Liberians, South Africans and Ethiopians, but at that particular time i was not interested in learning about Africa the way i am now at my current age. Personally, i would love to see more Africans come to America and unite with us.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 257

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

It's all goooood, no need to apologize. I surely ain't no victim cuz people like MJ and the "hatin the blk skin" group don't
hurt me.... they hurt themselves and I feel terrified by their actions.

I'm certainly a person whom appreciates all colors and even more when the one I see as "African" denies being African. It was shocking to me when I moved to America in 95, seeing blk people in straight hair/blonde, red, e.t.c. It looked very unreal, yet it is what's acceptable in black America. My afro seem so natural to me because it matches my skin color and features, yet in America, it's ugly on a woman, how sad.

It's so sad because Africa is the most beautiful place this world's ever got, but some people have been brainwashed, trained and pertained false evidence to only hate it. I mean where on earth do you see the wild so free and happy ? My friend, an international student from Zimbabwe has pictures of lions and other animals in her backyard for pets. In America, there's only the zoo people pay for to take your children to see animals. And the sad thing is that only the rich kids get access to these places.

The truth is, life here is so short for the poor Americans because all they do is work for the rich. So no wonder 10 years in America seem like yesterday to me...I'm constantly working for the rich American.

BlkAmericanKing,

I know that blk Americans shouldn't make fun of Africans regardless of their skin color.. Once and again, all Africans are the same.

Now, I shall go and work on my lesson plan.. yal take care now.

Blaklioness
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen:

Remember, that what you've witnessed is a SLAVE/colonial culture...it's not normal.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 258

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness,

I totally agree. I've been educated on this board allot about that fact. It is the weirdest thing ever, but it's the truth.

Blk people had no control, no way of preventing this from happenning... But I think that today is the time to turn around be different. I think Blk Americans can teach themselves to love who they are, I think it can be done --- we all speak English now and we have more rights than before, right ?

WHen will this SLAVE/colonial culture be finally erased ?

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen:

That's actually a lesson to be learned by ALL Black/African people. We've become masters at marching for civil rights and the "rights" to be integrated and accepted into societies which we ourselves described as corrupt; if this had been a short term survival goal, it may have been less damaging, but all too many Black people have become complacent and refuse to rock the boat. THIS has proved deadly for us because we experience tons more problems INTEGRATED than we did SEGREGATED. It's pathetic, but it's going to take DRASTIC things to wake up the masses; it seems we need to see someone hanging from a tree or to have someone call us 'nigger' to become aware of what's going on. Black elders will continue to witness Black youth excelerate their level of disrespect because they refuse to tell them the truth of what's happened and refuse to stop handing them over to be unquestioningly educated by the enemy. Many are waking up and recognizing that they INDEED have power, but there will be many casualties of war. Surround yourself by the positive folks...we're still out there.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen:

Again, remember that NOBODY is powerless, and we're all held accountable for our choices. Some of the first cigarette smokers in this country weren't consciously aware of the imminent dangers therein, but it didn't stop many of them from dying as a result. Even in the eyes of Mother Universe, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Black people must foster the courage to heal.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 686

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blaklioness,

You have no idea what an inspiration you are to me in an industry where I am overwhelmingly outnumbered---and consistently ridiculed and "silenced" by BLACK FOLKS who can't see how very deeply and desperately I love them.

And the fact that I'm African gives them carte blanche to write me off as "a foreign backwards person".

I could almost cry reading your level of understanding of what is happening to my children.

The Black Americans are "MY" children. Mine.

I know I'm not crazy.

I don't care how many people on this board attack me for saying that.

Blaklioness
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola:

I've felt EXACTLY the same thing in reading your posts...and you are far more courageous than I am at this stage of the game because you're a public figure. It takes tremendous courage to stand up during the reign of the devil and speak up. That's why it's gravely important for you to remember...regardless of what seems apparent, you are NOT alone. We have lost some battles and will lose some "warriors", but we will NOT lose the war. I'm on the sidelines right now---researching and strengthening my own character as weapons to carry back into battle, and that is what you must continue to do. So keep your head, stay strong, and stay tuned...

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 254

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:01 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--WHen will this SLAVE/colonial culture be finally erased ? --

Hopefully, during our children's and grandchildren's lifetimes. But,I guess that's the objective for the next black renaissance. It's definitely a goal we must work for now and I think we're at a pretty good start.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 255

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:03 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooops. Last post was to Africanqueen.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 260

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 01:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

I kinda figured out the post was to me :-)... You didn't have to initiate, but oh well :-).

Afroamerican
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Black Americans aren't even of Sudanese descent! Am I correct? I'm sure they also did not come from your Arab side either (smirk, smirk)!

Nels
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Nels

Post Number: 144

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hurricanes originate and form off the West Coast of Africa and head westward toward the United States every year. If they ever start forming on the East Coast of the United States and head back in the other direction, there will be a lot of pissed off continentals. The Atlantic ocean - the great cultural divide within the so-called "African/African-American" constituency? Kind of makes one wonder, just how did the slave ships make that journey and evade those hurricanes. Chances are, global warming from white exploitation didn't exist back then. Will black America and the continentals ever resolve their differences?

Kola

Post Number: 2176

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:56 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Nels. More and more as Black America ceases to exist---that will become more and more impossible.

Afroamerican
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 62

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nels, the piont is there will always be "Diffrences"! Religious differences, racial differences, cultural differences, etc. The goal is to RESPECT differences within the Black family!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2009 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com