My New Hero: ....KANYE WEST Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » My New Hero: ....KANYE WEST « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 485

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 03:59 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just discovered him last weekend and fell in love with his CD (after attacking a song of his a few weeks earlier)......BUT NOW.......he's really got a fan in me! :-) :-)

Kanye West Rips Bush During NBC Concert

Kanye West

It began, fittingly enough, with jazz from New Orleans natives Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis. But "A Concert for Hurricane Relief," a heartfelt and dignified benefit aired on NBC and other networks Friday night, took an unexpected turn thanks to the outspoken rapper Kanye West.

Appearing two-thirds through the program, he claimed "George Bush doesn't care about black people" and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

The show, simulcast from New York on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Pax, was aired live to the East Coast, enabling the Grammy-winning rapper's outburst to go out uncensored.

There was a several-second tape delay, but the person in charge "was instructed to listen for a curse word, and didn't realize (West) had gone off-script," said NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks.

Immediately after the airing was over, Marks said it was undetermined how much, if any, of the tirade would be included in the taped West Coast feed three hours later.

ADVERTISEMENT

The host was NBC News' Matt Lauer, who invited viewers to contribute to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by phone or on the Web. Some 18 presenters performed musical numbers or gave information on the tragedy's huge scope.

Louisiana native Tim McGraw teared up as he told Lauer, "I know the citizens that weren't affected by this directly are gonna stand up and do good things for people." He sang two songs, then became the first of the evening's stars to sign a Gibson Les Paul Special guitar to be auditioned online.

Faith Hill, a Mississippi native, sang "There Will Come a Time," with the inspiring lyrics, "The darkness will be gone, the weak shall be strong. Hold on to your faith."

New Orleans son Aaron Neville performed Randy Newman's soulful "Louisiana 1927" with the memorable chorus, "they're trying to wash us away, they're trying to wash us away."

New York governor George Pataki presented the Red Cross with a check for $2.5 million and promised, "This great state will do far more."

"In terms of property damage," said actress Hilary Swank, "the estimate is at least $26 billion in insured losses and perhaps twice that in uninsured losses over a 90,000-square-mile area approximately the size of Kansas."

Other speakers included Lindsay Lohan, Eric LaSalle, Glenn Close, Richard Gere, John Goodman and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Comedian Mike Myers was paired with West for a 90-second segment that began with Myers speaking of Katrina's devastation. Then, to Myers' evident surprise, West began a rant by saying, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

While allowing that "the Red Cross is doing everything they can," West who delivered an emotional outburst at the American Music Awards after he was snubbed for an award declared that government authorities are intentionally dragging their feet on aid to the Gulf Coast. Without getting specific, he added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

After he stated, "George Bush doesn't care about black people. Please call _" the camera cut away to comedian Chris Tucker.

Concluding the hour a few minutes later, Lauer noted that "emotions in this country right now are running very high. Sometimes that emotion is translated into inspiration, sometimes into criticism. We've heard some of that tonight. But it's still part of the American way of life."

Then the entire ensemble performed "When the Saints Go Marching In."

In a statement, NBC said, "Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks.

"It would be most unfortunate," the statement continued, "if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

Friday's program was the first of several TV benefits planned through next weekend.

NBC and the five other major commercial broadcast networks, along with PBS, plan to unite next Friday for a special. The same night, BET will air a benefit. And on Saturday, Sept. 10, the MTV networks will air a special.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 486

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 04:00 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't sleep on his new CD.

http://www.thumperscorner.com/discus/messages/2152/7059.html?1125519455

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 247

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 09:20 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not impressed.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1409

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't heard the CD (I have heard some work of his that didn't seem all that strong--sorry but dat bad ole gangsta rap seems to have grown on me) but all is forgiven for his showing some heart here.

There may be hope for mankind yet---

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2093

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My question is...

since there was no profanity in West's comments---WHY did they have to be censored out of the broadcast for the Central and West Coast?

The censorship is getting ridiculous in this country.

He merely stated his opinion...and yet they acted as though this is Russia.

You can't say that!

Kola

Post Number: 2094

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From another Web Site

Kanye on tv

Did you ever think Mike Meyers could be at a loss for words? During NBC's benefit concert tonight, Meyers and ego-riffic Kanye West "rapped" in the emotive sense about Katrina, but then suddenly Kanye got all. . . racial and shit, talking about how he hates how his people are portrayed and what not by saying, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

Then he admitted that he went shopping before donating, but that "my business manager is looking into" how much he can give. Then things got weird: "George Bush doesn't care about black people," he said. Without getting specific, he added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

People are upset about this, but, by our lights, West could have put it more strongly and still been okay for primetime. Anyway. . . First, we love that Kanye apologized for going shopping before donating. We're returning our Target placemats tomorrow, Kanye! Second, the look on Mike Meyers's face... Clearly, Canadians have more respect for Bush than previously thought. Oh, behave, indeed.

Kola

KOLA:

Tanya, I know he's a big Ham, but considering the fallout from Radio and Record and MTV that he could experience...not to mention that we NEVER hear "Black Men" speak up about anything that doesn't fit the "general cause".......I'm impressed :-)

He set a good example.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 255

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Kola.

He has to marry someone like his mother. That's the example I'd like to see being set and I won't except anything less. It's impossible for black men to impress me until I see that. Not trying to be negative -- just keeping it real.

Tonya

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 216

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it just me or did Kanye West look very nervous as he spoke about the US troops being overseas and Bush not caring about black people? If the man was serious about what he's saying, he shouldn't look scared or nervous...

He was right about the troops and how they should be here helping their country and not in Iraq. However, if Bush doesn't care about black people, he wouldn't be sending troops and workers to LA and MS to help out.. If he didn't care about black people I don't think he'd be president. And I think black people after 30 years of freedom and equality can become just as rich as the white American. It's really going to take time to not be called "poor and black" anymore but it can be done.

And to me, anyone in the United States of America is not poor. Unless they're homeless and incapable of work... None of these people are poor. I don't know, but I don't like the saying, "black and poor". I just don't understand, it's America!

Anunaki3600
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Anunaki3600

Post Number: 87

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:52 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wake-up and smell the GUMBO Africanqueen. Where have you been all these years. You need to do some serious reading. Why dont you look for a book whose title is "Dry long so", I forget the authors name. It is based on a survey done in the US in regards to race relations. Does anyone know the authors name.

Libralind2
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Libralind2

Post Number: 193

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfricanQueen has issues far greater than the people in NO and LA, if she believes what she wrote
LiLi

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster
Username: Blkamericanking

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's just unfortunate African immigrants truly don't understand the black struggle in America. They come here, get educated and get a job and think everything's fine in this country. They have no idea what Black Americans go through in this country.

Kola

Post Number: 2096

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah.

Sometimes I just want to ring African Queen's neck!! :-)

She's extraordinarily near sighted.

Kola

Post Number: 2097

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And foolish.

I believe it's from
living in Texas where Black Americans
are so incredibly hostile to her and her
sisters (for being charcoal colored)....and
her hanging around mostly Non-Black friends
(teenagers)
who are Republican, racist and regard her
as an exotic pet.

Like most White/Latin Americans (same thing
as far as I'm concerned), their first "test"
is to see how easily she's turned against
Black Americans (which bring her acceptance)
from them. They fill her head with bullshit
(like the white chick who came here to defend
Michael Jackson wanting to be white)
and she laps it right up.

The Christian Missionaries who "assimilate"
and bring these Africans make it 10 times worse.
They are racist do-gooding agents as well.
Not to mention TEXAS is "Bush" country.

African Queen is extremely young and just doesn't get it-----but unlike a West African immigrant, her extremely dark color is going to FORCE her to get it...the longer she lives in this country.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 688

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In case, like me, you missed it, here is a video of it:

http://media.putfile.com/Kanye79

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 689

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, I love "Late." Anyone who samples both Ray Charles and Gil Scott-Heron on the same disc is alright with me.

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 58

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 06:48 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you for understanding.

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I've always noticed the DARKER the immigrant is the HARDER and more DESPERATE he becomes to "assilimate" into White culture!

Look at the West Indians in England. They marry White 50% of the time!

A good friend of mine once told me the Hiatians in Florida (people who are basically "pure" African) go after Whites for marriage FIRST and foremost and then light skinned Black Americans if no Whites will marry them....

Look at the East Indians. People who terrorize their dark skinned population and make them believe they are "inferior" to everyone else.

Also what does Kola mean by African Queen is not a "West African"? Yes she is Sudanese, but MOST Americans see no difference in the two. They both are AFRICANS to them.

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My last piont however was NOT bashing AfricanQueen!

I don't think she will ever "get" being Afro-American because she has NO real Afro-American family, no Black American family history to go by, and more importantly she is *NOT* Afro-American.

She doesn't call AA's "auntie" and "uncle" "brother" or "cousin". It IS hard for her to understand 'where these people are coming from'.

In a way, she's like a Black skinned White kid trying to get what the hell these "niggas" are always complaining about..........

lol.

Kola

Post Number: 2098

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 07:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfroAmerican

West Africans....are not as DARK as "Dinka" people of SUDAN and have facial features that are more "familiar" to Black Americans, since they are basically West Africans themselves.

Even if you have a Blue Black West African...that's not as black as "Charcoal" people (who come in either silver or matte---not blue).

Charcoal people are in North Africa and East Africa. Blue Blacks in the Central and west Africa.

ALSO...with regard to "immigrants", "Africans" and "West Indians" marrying White......we've CALLED THEM OUT and discussed that a million times on this board...not to mention the books I write, which are FILLED with Africans doing even more colorist pathologies than what you describe.

As for AfricanQueen....I disagree with you.

It is VERY POSSIBLE (and "easy") to understand the plight of Black Americans once you have them as close friends, socialize with them and take time to READ their history in this country.

Vice Versa, Black Americans who have close/close African friends also end up learning ENORMOUS info and "FEELING" what we feel about different issues.

If African Queen could find a group of Black Americans who were willing to be really close friends with her-----her knowledge would balloon.

She's incredibly...I mean, incredibly sweet and intelligent. But she's scarred from very violent experiences at the hands of AAs. Especially her 10 year old sister being chased from school by a gang of them throwing bottles at the child and calling her "Too black".

Similar incidents have been reported around the country with Sudanese children---but not a single incident involves WHITE children having these violent reactions, ONLY BLACKS.

Many "younger" AAs have never seen people who look like this and it scares them to be considered "the same" as those people.

Since I also have a lot of White and Latino Intellectual friends.....I also believe that it's MUCH EASIER for Black Americans and Africans to "immediately" relate and bond. It can be almost instant---especially with Black American men who are not against Africans---I've felt INSTANT rapture with them.

One thing Black Americans almost never acknowledge, however, is that their EXCUSES for not being able to get along with Africans and West Indians....is their own "fear" and "self-hate". Many of them just want to have their questions answered and then....move on from being associated with that "African".

Black Americans will call an African "arrogant", "superior" acting---but at the core of the Black American is a special HATE against their biological origins that they selectively pretend they don't have.

"I ain't no African!"

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 217

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry, but I seriously don't know what African Americans go through in this country. I guess you can say, "I'm brainwashed" or whatever.

But seriously to be honest I don't know why it was just black people remaining in New Orleans or weather it was a racist issue, but I also saw a bunch of white people driving out of that hell as soon as they heard they had to get out. But hey, yal have the right to correct me.. I don't know really what's going on, I'm just here ok... I'm a southern Sudanese refugee and went through hell in the refugee camp myself, not even knowing why I was there (I was a kid), but now I know why... the arabs are treating southerners like shit, it's common to them over there.. But hey, it's really hard to believe that I've finally come to a point of freedom and still experience racism..

During this time in 2005, it is hard to believe racism exists in the US... I don't know, I just "think" everyone has equal rights and opportunity, the "American dream" and when you're denied your rights you can sue, etc.. But hey, just try not to believe anything I've said so far. You all by far know America more than I do, so please continue to educate me. But it's just hard to believe racism still exists! I cried just looking at my black people on TV.. cried because they looked more like African refugees than American refugees. It's sad black people experience pain all over the world, and I just hate it so much, it makes me cry. But I tried to refuse that racism wasn't the case.

And I'm sorry to have upsetted all of you from my previous posts.

Anunaki, I will check out that book.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 218

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola: "I believe it's from
living in Texas where Black Americans
are so incredibly hostile to her and her
sisters (for being charcoal colored)....and
her hanging around mostly Non-Black friends
(teenagers)
who are Republican, racist and regard her
as an exotic pet."

Me: LOL (sad laugh) "Exotic Pet" Kola ? How sad for you to say that about me..

To tell you the truth, I don't have any "republican" friends or hispanic, white friends, black friends, or chinese friends, etc.. I have all friends.

In my life time, I have been helped by every single race in this category.

To all: I love AAs with all of my heart, just as much as I love white Americans, hispanics, etc. I guess you can see why I say, "I don't have any friends, I have all friends".

I'm sorry, but having come from starvation and walking thousands of miles, I don't think I can have any hate for anybody.

Kola, it is very ignorant of you to assume things about someone. Like I said, I don't have any friends and I guess racism and war proves it just fine.

I believe in God and will always believe in God and I will go wherever he takes me and United States is so far my final destination. And I will get my small "education" and make the "yearly income" and live my life.

I will fight when I'm being mistreated.. and just to let you all know, I'm behind my AAs when they're mistreated as well. I love them to death and it's just sad that racism was the case in HK.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 219

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why didn't we drive out of there?

Why did we decide to live in New Orleans?

As strong as we are, I mean black people are strong! And we have our own government, rich people etc... why didn't we go rescue our own people instead of waiting for the government that doesn't care whatsoever about us to go get us?

Why do we "let it happen" and then wait for someone to blame when we could have helped ourselves???

Did white people get out first or is the majority of the city black?

Perhaps, if the majority was white, they would have been out of there in advance, saved by their own white people, white government.

Why as AAs and Africans can't we assist each other in time of danger?

Why is it that the white man always has to help the black man?

Why can't we help ourselves... and people I'm not just talking about the United States. This is all over the world. All black folks all over the world... why can't we assist ourselves so we can have an end to saying, "Bush, you don't care about black people" "In fact you know what Bush, I don't give a shit about your aid. I will take it when it is there, but I will help my black people".

Sure there's enough black Americans in this country for us to help each other out. Many of us have money in hollywood. We dominate in sports, we simply had what it takes and we could have rented our boats and trucks, and buses, etc and get OUR people.

My only dream is for black people to start supporting each other worldwide and stop depending on someone they call, "a racist".

Personally, I will NOT kiss ass of someone that uses me. I will take that bread though when it is offered. Just look at the aid Iran (American's enemy) has given. So I will not refuse when my enemy helps me, but I will not wait for them to come to me. I will have a plan, do we have a real black leader that's willing to speak up like I am right now?

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:42 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen,

You really seem like a nice young lady. I would like to apologize for all of the ignorant AAs who mistreated you, but please understand, all of us are not like that. I love you, Kola and black people all over the world. I believe that most African immigrants have negative experiences with AAs and try to distance themselves from us, by seeking mostly white friends and living in white neighborhoods. Please understand that those whites only pretend to be your friends because they don't want African immigrants to unite with Black Americans.

Kola

Post Number: 2099

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 06:23 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

African Queen....

I really apologize for making you mad. It wasn't my intention.

The comments I made about your friends---were based on (1) The things you said about the people whose photos you posted previously as your "friends", none of whom were black....and (2) The white girlfriend of yours who came in here to tell me out about Michael Jackson.

You said these people were your friends, and after listening to much of what she had to say and also the kinds of things that you constantly say----I put my own spin on things.

I'm terribly sorry and you're right---I was ignorant.

STILL...

You're living in a state where a Black man was tied to the back of a car and dragged to his death by White people, African Queen---yet you say there's no racism, and it's 2005.

Remember how you were treated by BLACKS in Kenya?

Remember Sudan?

You ran for your life from a continent that's been submerged in racism for 1,000 years...and for some reason, you think because it's 2005---the world is supposed to just miraculously be different?

Nobody's telling you to leave the United States. You don't see me leaving do you??

But that still doesn't change the fact that.......the reason Africa can't get on its feet is because of White Supremacist Imperialist nations like THIS ONE.

While America has you over here Praising GOD and helping build their church......this same Christian country is ROBBING Africa blind every day, raping and defiling the land, the people and the cultures....and doing it with YOUR BLESSING.

You speak of the evil in Sudan, AQ...but fail to see where it COMES FROM. You fail to see how blacks OWN nothing in the world...and Whites/Lights own and rule everything.

Africa is the richest continent on earth in natural resources, our University students are rivaled ONLY by the Japanese for academic achievement. Yet miraculously----we can't own, govern or legislate the future of our own countries in Africa.

Somehow....you think this is a coincidence; a mishap, etc.

Have you ever taken time to read the HISTORY of Black people in America?

YOU REALLY NEED TO.

You claim that it's so hard to believe that racism still exists.

But how could it not?

America is one of the most racist countries on the face of the earth.

You talk about "suiing" people for their racism----but Courts still have Judges and Juries.

LaTasha Harlins, a 14 year old BLACK girl, was shot in the back ON FILM....ON FILM...it played nationwide for months, we all saw the Korean Grocer shoot her.

But a WHITE WOMAN JUDGE let the Korean grocer get off scott free and that 14 year old Black girl went to her grave (for nothing more than having a "bad attitude") and NOBODY PAID for death.

Yet you have the gall to sit up and claim that there's no racism and you don't see how there can be any racism.

The entire continent of Africa was colonized, enslaved and raped by Christian or Muslim White People. For 1,000 years on the east and 500 years on the west.

One thing that's very WRONG...is when Africans come over here and side up against the Black Americans by taking sides with the people whose very foot is on the neck of Africa.

I don't care WHERE on earth black people set their feet.....Africans have no business taking the side of WHITES/in general against Blacks/in general.

EVER.

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfricanQueen,
I am 1 Afro-American that donated to every Redcross/collection center I saw for the Katrina Hurricane victims.

Even though I will admit at first I was rather skeptical because I didn't know how much of the money would reach them (other AA's). But in the end, I said, "who cares". Apathy is the worst enemy of the Afro-American community.

So you see my dear. There were many, many of "us" that gave to OUR PEOPLE and NOT White men!

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 694

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

waiting for the government????

Black folks pay taxes like anyone else. Unlike everyone else, our ancestors also helped build this country for free. Don't talk to me about "the" government--That's our government, too, and unless we are willing to go elsewhere or separate from the union it is time for us to start holding them accountable to us.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 695

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS, I linked to the aalbc's amazon search page for "Late Registration" from my blog. A couple of folks who saw it (and what I wrote) said they plan to purchase it in support of West's statement and/or his right to say it. I hope many, many folks do.

Kola

Post Number: 2102

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too, Yvette. I am in love with that man! :-)

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 220

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Sorry,

Not taking any sides... just giving my opinion.

And I said racism couldn't possibly be in 2005 based on the natural resource tragedy, not racism among the people in general. I'm talking about the tragedy.

And you haven't commented about how I mentioned that black people need to be there for one another instead of waiting for the white man to assist them.

Like you Kola, whom already knows that a white man is racist, wouldn't you be ready to know that they probably won't help you if your son got stolen or lost, or whatever because he is black? Why, if black people knew racism exists, why did they not go rescue their black people? You haven't answered that question for me yet. I know racism still exists, I just don't think racism was the case in KATRINA. And if racism was the case, why weren't we as a black community prepared to help ourselves instead of waiting for help that may never come from the WHITE government?

AfroAmerican,

There is no need to worry about me now. I'm just as black as the average black American, nobody makes fun of me anymore. I was very dark when I first came here for some reason... I guess running in the sun in Africa was the reason. But now I'm just a dark skinned African American (Sudanese American) or whatever they may call me while I'm in the U.S.

AfroAmerican,

The reason it bothers me for black people to make fun of their darker skinned people is because for one, when I looked at the hurricane victims, I did see light skinned colored group of people that America considers black. And I think that seriously, colored people need to unite as a team to help each other out. We're brothers and sisters and should always help each other out. We are Africa. And like I mentioned before, when I see a group of color people suffering, no matter where in the world, it reverses back to slavery in Sudan, war in Uganda, Congo, etc... We are all the same and we all look alike on television showing starvation and death.

Kola,

You claim that the white man is at fault for Africans and AAs lighter than me to be making fun of me right? So why as black community always imitating the white man?

Why are we not responsible for our own actions, why we gota be the followers and not the leaders?

Like I said, white people could have gone and got their own white people.. yet we're saying it would be because they are white.

In America, we have BET and black broadcasting televisions. We can have our own CNN too if it so happens that white people would not include blacks in the news.

But let me tell you something. I'm not going to hate the white Christian that helped me in America. I'm not going to hate Christianity because that is what I am and what my family and God introduced me to. It is my religion and it so happens that the majority of my black people are Christians. Those people you're talking about destroying Africa are not Christian, they are politicians.

There's a saying in Christianity that just because you claim to be Christian does not mean you are unless you perform like Jesus Christ or a saint. So please don't tell me what a politician Christian did, they are not Christians.

Look, I have full understanding of racism, people have hated me for my skin color. I know what it is like. I would have been killed trying to defend myself but God held me back from doing so. I know, I know about racism more than you can imagine. It is a disease black people didn't stop by NOT LISTENNING AND ACCEPTING when they white man said, "BLACK IS UGLY". My question is, CAN WE STAND UP FOR OURSELVES, HELP OURSELVES? Because we are not retarded and we don't have to imitate or follow. Kola, I'm not an "Exotic pet" because obviously, my words speak of confidence and loving my own, myself instead of trying to be something I am not, white. I'm trying to say that a black man and woman can stop accepting what they were told 1,000 years ago and today, "BLACK IS UGLY". We're accepting the white man's definition of "Black is ugly" are we really that stupid?

White people came in the world and were busy bettering their lives. We came in the world and became busy kissing their ass. Today, we're powerless and hated because in the beginning we looked up to them and told them they were better than us. What I'm trying to say is for us to stop follwing and start helping ourselves, our own people. Because obviously, that is what the other races in the world are doing. Why can't we make our own rules within our own continent and help each other out in wars instead of waiting for the U.N and the United states, after 21 years of missery to go to Sudan and try to make peace when Africans could have done it themselves. But see, I understand there's too many languages to get along in Africa, but that is what leaders are for. Why aren't our leaders working for each other instead of working for white people?

As far as my friend from the MJ case, she is white and she thinks white. There is no doubt about that. She also happens to have allot of black friends too. But if you go back to that thread, I did not support her when she said that MJ should be whatever he wants to be. I said the only thing I want MJ to be is what God made him to be and not what the world thinks is most beautiful, "white skin". And this is why she didn't come back since you attacked her so strongly about her saying, but as you can see, I completely agreed with you. But you also know how white people think, "be all you can be" yellow, blue, red, green whatever. But what I was telling her is that MJ could have been any of the primary colors but white...

In the photos, why are you so upset that I'm in it with hispanics? In the city that I'm going to school in, where I got offered a basketball and academic schorlarship, the majority is obviously hispanic, so I have no choice but to hang out with hispanics. And I'm not going to be here for the rest of my life, God no. Just for school. There is not much to do here, no diversity but the people are awesome. Hispanics are very inviting in this city.

You judge people by the color of their skin and race. Why? Because Kola, people happen to be all the same in the world. In every race we have our bad and good people. So don't tell me who I should be hanging out with because I was raised among many different races and accept to be friends with the ones that want to be friends with me.

Afro,

I'm sorry but the white Christian man helped me when I came to the U.S and I thank him for that. No, first of all, he went to go get me in the refugee camp and I'm sorry you don't like it that he rescued me from years of starvation. But I'm happy now, thanks to him.

The reason most dinka and nuer, Shuluks tribes in the United States end up in the hands of the white man in America is because most of them are Episcopalians, Catholics, Methodists, Christians from South Sudan. Those are the dominating Christian religions in Africa and Sudan so when they come to the U.S, they look for churches such as these. And they find that it is white people's church and have no problem.

The white people my family ended up with in the church were very welcoming. And no, they did not keep us from getting to know black Americans. And we don't keep ourselves from black Americans either. I personally love my AAs, I just felt uninvited in schools by them. It was just hard to believe that my own color of skin would turn agaisnt me and.... blah, blah.. I'm over it now anyway. But I strongly encourage my black people to stop following and start leading. And it is going to start among ourselves. Otherwise, racism will never end in the United States. And non of you is ending it when every time something happens, we wait for the whites to assist us and when they don't, we say they're rasist. The black American leader could have made the move to go rescue his black people instead of waiting for the white man.

Perhaps if Katrina's delay was racism, then we will learn not to wait for Bush's help next time it might happen. Thank you.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 221

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I have read black American history and racism. But I'm also the most recent slave from Sudan. You know the case over there, it was just like slavery here back then in America!. Just that we are not sold slaves, but forced to become slaves. We told those fucking Muslims though that we will not follow. Some of us died refusing to bow to their Mohammed, god.. I refuse and if I go back to Sudan and this is the case, they can shoot me dead if they want to. But I'm not going to be forced into becoming something I am not!

My history teacher did tell me black kings started selling their own people. This is why I complain and say that a black man needs to stop following and giving his most valuable things for bullshit. We need to stop following by simply saying, "you can call me a piece of shit all you want, but my heart knows what I am, beautiful, WILL NOT BE kissing ass, not changing my skin color."

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correction, this was meant for Blk American King, not AfroAmerican:

There is no need to worry about me now. I'm just as black as the average black American, nobody makes fun of me anymore. I was very dark when I first came here for some reason... I guess running in the sun in Africa was the reason. But now I'm just a dark skinned African American (Sudanese American) or whatever they may call me while I'm in the U.S.

Kola

Post Number: 2104

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

African Queen--

I've never said that Black People aren't responsible for their own actions.

WE ARE.

And the people I criticize the MOST....are "Black people".

But my criticism is always based on:

(1) The fact that I love them so much/hold myself responsible for them.

(2) Have a wealth of scientifically compiled historial, sociological and psycho-social information that helps me to

I'm NOT suggesting that you don't care or that you don't come from the same base----I'm just saying that YOU and I are not on different pages, but that you simply say a lot of things that are "surface" without the background being considered.

I already pointed those out. The court system--racism in Africa, worldwide--

The WHITE MAN's MEDIA MACHINE and institutions (religious and political) continue to poison our people.

And much of Black people's behavior is because they're IGNORANT of how they have been programmed to self-destruct.

I agree with you.

African Queen:

(Kola) You judge people by the color of their skin and race. Why? Because Kola, people happen to be all the same in the world. In every race we have our bad and good people.

KOLA:

OK ---this is a generalization that you just wrote. We all know that all humans are alike. NONE OF US here have a problem with these people because of their color...but we also KNOW certain traits, behavior patterns and ideologies of these people by their "traits".

But that's not what you were discussing in your posts before this----AFRICAN QUEEN.

And your Anti-Black American sentiments about THEIR EXPERIENCE in a country that they built--working 6 days a week, 18 hours a day FOR FREE as "Slave Labor" for 400 years-----sounded strangely similar to the White/Latino people's comments that have been made against Black Americans for generations IN THIS COUNTRY.

You sound like THEM.

You've been here in this country a hot minute and you fail to see that we KNOW these people inside out.

African Queen:

So don't tell me who I should be hanging out with because I was raised among many different races and accept to be friends with the ones that want to be friends with me.

KOLA:

I never EVER told you who you should be hanging out with.

EVER.

But don't expect me to be like/similar to your White and Latino friends or your family or the Christians. And don't expect me not to be offended when you say condescending things about "Black Americans"---dismissing their experience and history, as if you even know it.

You don't.

AFRICAN QUEEN:

I'm sorry but the white Christian man helped me when I came to the U.S and I thank him for that. No, first of all, he went to go get me in the refugee camp and I'm sorry you don't like it that he rescued me from years of starvation. But I'm happy now, thanks to him.

KOLA:

This is really bullshit here.

I'm GLAD that White Christian missionaries went to your camp and saved your life---glad for all the work they do.

But when I discuss these religions and their IMPACT on Africa and on Black culture....I am speaking HISTORICALLY and SOCIOLOGICALLY. Not about their good intentions and basic--"Hey, come and be like me; believe what I believe; do as I do"-----gift wrapping.

The truth, African Queen, is that you're not a level of KNOWLEDGE high enough to really understand what I try to warn you about.

But someday, the hard way, you will be.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 223

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This meant for all 3 of you, Afro, Kola and King (sorry Afro, kept mistaking you for BAK),

I'm sorry but the white Christian man helped me when I came to the U.S
and I thank him for that. No, first of all, he went to go get me in
the refugee camp and I'm sorry you don't like it that he rescued me
from years of starvation. But I'm happy now, thanks to him.

The reason most dinka and nuer, Shuluks tribes in the United States
end up in the hands of the white man in America is because most of
them are Episcopalians, Catholics, Methodists, Christians from South
Sudan. Those are the dominating Christian religions in Africa and
Sudan so when they come to the U.S, they look for churches such as
these. And they find that it is white people's church and have no
problem.

The white people my family ended up with in the church were very
welcoming. And no, they did not keep us from getting to know black
Americans. And we don't keep ourselves from black Americans either. I
personally love my AAs, I just felt uninvited in schools by them. It
was just hard to believe that my own color of skin would turn agaisnt
me and.... blah, blah.. I'm over it now anyway. But I strongly
encourage my black people to stop following and start leading. And it
is going to start among ourselves. Otherwise, racism will never end in
the United States. And non of you is ending it when every time
something happens, we wait for the whites to assist us and when they
don't, we say they're rasist. The black American leader could have
made the move to go rescue his black people instead of waiting for the
white man.

Perhaps if Katrina's delay was racism, then we will learn not to wait
for Bush's help next time it might happen. Thank you.

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen,

Again. I dont believe these AA children were picking on you SOLEY because of your skin color!

That's Bullshit!!!

I've ran across quite a lot of Black skinned Afro-Americans!

WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THEY PICKED ON YOU BECAUSE THEY SAW YOU AS ***DIFFERENT****

DIFFERENT BEING THE KEY WORD

which you were being a girl from another Continent!

Where our confusion comes in at is Kola, trying to imply that Afro-Americans ARE Africans and see themselves as such! Which they don't. They see themselves simply as BLACK AMERICANS!(and if you don't see yourself as SIMPLY "Black American" then you are automatically "different" to them)

I'm around other AA's that constantly laugh, pick and belittle Mexicans all the time. (I live in North Carolina by the way, which is considered the South). Many of those MEXICANS are much lighter/ Whiter looking than them. However that does not stop them from noticing their strange accents, their different last names, and differences PERIOD and making fun of it...........

Unlike your last post seems to imply, I don't give a damn about "people of color" uniting or "all people of African descent" uniting. This sort of SHIT is what has kept Afro-Americans from focusing on our real issues for two damn long.

Without setting standards for being "African-American" and who is SUPPOSE to be part of our community and "our people" we will never be able to IDENTIFY ourselves! We will never be able to REJECT anything.

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not expect you to truly ever UNDERSTAND AA history not being one! However, I find it strange that other Blacks would not at least "respect it".

Key word being RESPECT VS. UNDERSTAND

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 224

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola: I've never said that Black People aren't responsible for their own actions.

WE ARE.

Me: Kola, we have allot of blaming to do in Katrina. But guess what, this could have never been an issue if we decided to go help ourselves now, could it? Remember? The white man is racist so why should we depend on him? We already knew!

And of course working in Mcdonalds as a 35 year old black man and black woman to me, is slavery. But it does not have to be this way forever.

I came to the US with nothing, given 3 months to find a minimum wage job (my parents) and then pay their own rent. My parents still work so hard just to keep us going, making less than 10 an hour, but it is most defitenitely better than a Kenyan refugee camp. No one refuses for black people to get education for themselves, we refuse ourselves and then become poor. I hate that saying, "black and poor" because certainly to me, no one should be considered "poor" in America, not even the homeless.

Kola,

I understand that I don't have the knowledge, but I also accept my "no knowledge" because the humane thing to do is not to rub what went on centuries ago in the ears of the people of today. My goal is to try and stop it, not continue it. And by doing that, I accept my people, myself and encourage them to better themselves and stop continue to follow.

And you're right, you and I are on the same page. You just haven't forgotten the bad things from along time ago... To me, you were there because you've read books and having all the knowledge in the world.. I refuse to know them because they're heart breaking... I know how you feel. I'm also horrified to go back to Sudan and live there because I would be afraid to be mistreated by the northerns..... and I don't think I want to experience that..

It's sad.. But having lived away from home for 23 years, I'm used to it, hmmmmmm.

But you can't possibly be telling me that all those black people had no cars to get out of New Orleans, that they were all too poor to afford one... because even Sudanese refugees have cars and they were born here--- THEY COULD HAVE GOT OUT ON THEIR OWN... WITH THE HELP OF THEIR OWN BLACK PEOPLE.

BECAUSE WON'T A WHITE MAN COVER NO LOST BLACK GIRL'S NEWS ON CNN UNLESS IN CONCERNED HER ENTIRE GROUP OF PEOPLE... THE VICTIMS OF KAT.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 225

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Afro,

I respect the history.. it just doesn't have to be us TODAY! There is a way, I'm sure of it, I'm hoping for a change. That is why it's called history not the present...

Do you all know, were the majority of Galveston Texans (8,000 dead hurricane people) black? And what year was this?

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 226

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 07:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afro said: Africanqueen,I dont believe these AA children were picking on you SOLEY
because of your skin color!

That's Bullshit!!!

I've ran across quite a lot of Black skinned Afro-Americans!

I say: You were not there, I was. A black girl asked me, "Why are you so black, Ewwwww??" and I returned the question, "You are black too!!!" and she turns back saying, "Well not as black as you BIOTCH" And after school, she got all her black bfs and gfs to jump me. I use to walk home alone all the time, no school bus.. I almost got my head ripped off by my own black brothers and sisters because I'm black. It was the most sad experience I have ever had in this world. And when I would tell people my story, they get shocked that Africans and AAs can hate their own. But it's true. It happenned to me.

I had only been in America for 5 months. And I went home crying, it was sad. But I didn't hate any of them. In fact, I joined the bball team to be around them more, for them to understand me and where I'm coming from. And for them to see how I ackowledge my skin color and let them know that it's not a bad thing to be dark.

Of course since you're AA, you will try to make it seem as if it didn't happen this way.

AfroAmerican says: WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT THEY PICKED ON YOU BECAUSE THEY SAW YOU AS
***DIFFERENT****

I say: And I told them, you're just as black as me and they got VERY OFFENDED. When I told her that she too was black, she got very very upset.. Yet, white people call them "black Americans". But to tell you the truth, I didn't even know how people are categorized in this country when this happened. She let me know that in America, I am simply ugly because I'm black. A black girl told me that because I'm black, I'm ugly. And because she has a very little shade of brown on her skin, she is more beautiful than me. That's the bullshit AfroAmerican.

And you better get busy tryin to keep that Afro, lol. As a black man, that shit looks hot on you. Yet most black men want a chick with straight hair. Furthermore, blonde, etc...

They may see themselves as "black Americans" but I also see them as "Africans". And especially this girl... She looked Kenyan but she was black American. And most Kenyans are very dark skinned. So I prefer to them as black.

Now if a white kid picked on me, it would have been a different story. And Kola, I haven't lived in a white community where the white kids make fun of the black kid, so I don't know what's going on in those areas. I will accept that racism, WHITES SEE ME AS "DIFFERENT" NOT BLACKS. BLACK PEOPLE ARE MINE. THEY SHOULD NEVER TRY TO DISCLUDE ME BY COLOR. I BELONG TO THEM AND RACISM TOWARDS ME COMING FROM THEM IS UNACCEPTABLE. AND I MEAN THAT FOR AFRICANS AS WELL. AFRO, YOU DON'T NOTICE IT, AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, HOW AFRICANS AND AAS MAKE FUN OF THEIR OWN DARK SKINNED PEOPLE LIKE ME... YET, WE CLAIM THAT WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST, BUT CONTINUE TO FOLLOW THEM ANYWAY? AUH AUH, HELL NAH..

Anunaki3600
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Anunaki3600

Post Number: 89

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 03:24 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Africanqueen, you have to develope a thick skin to live in Babylon (US). When I first came to the US, I was asked by AA's if I lived on a tree. I told them that because my mother loved me so much, I got the longest branch of the tree to live on. In college, I joined the Black Students Association, I tutored elementary students from the black community in math, and participated in community outreach programmes. This brought me very close to the AA community and thus was invited into their homes. You have to become part of the community in order to fully appreciate the community. The only differences I usually had were ideological differences with nationalists (AAPRP) or NOI. We just used to argue a lot but still part together.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 287

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AQ, You are absolutely 100% correct, we should be able to help ourselves especially since we KNOW how white ppl are. Yes, I know we built this country, and yes, I do feel that this country is more ours than theirs, but we all COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND that they have always refuse to share and WE KNOW that they always will. Except for the crumbs that they give us,the lightest among us, whitey and his ppl ain't even thinking about sharing. So you're right, since we KNOW they're racist and unwilling to share, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SUPPORT AND RESCUE OUR OWN.

BTW, AQ, there is a reason why many of us won't touch that question -- whitey ain't the only racist and he ain't the only one who is not willing to share. You're right -- people are the same everywhere.

Tonya

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 170

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 08:32 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfricanQueen,

If you know any elderly AA women or men, invite them to share their accounts about their youth, particularly during the Jim Crow era. I always heard stories from my elderly relatives about all kinds of things, from how diferent their neighborhood depreciated into a ghetto 20 years after civil rights act, to barbeques with up to 50 guests and being casually called "nigger" to one's face during youth.

Don't leave the 50+ generation out either, because I've heard equally important stories from my mother and her generation as well. There's no better way to learn one's history than from one's elders.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 233

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 01:05 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anunaki,

I agree. One of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life is not living among my AAs and learning more about them. But it's not that I did not want to.

While I was raised I was not allowed to have any friends whatsoever, not even African friends. My dad worked at a gas station and had a gun pointed to his head several times and robbed by AAs so that caused him to always say negative things about them. Aside from that, he hated the baggy clothing, the jeans that's worned below the ass. Although, he respected AAs like Oprah, the people with the "proper ways" of speaking I guess. Still, whatever his judgements were never really concerned me, nor did I say anything about them because I didn't fully know AAs for me to be judging. In high school, I didn't really mind about friendship because I was not allowed to have friends anyway. I came home, did my hw and went to sleep. I was always afraid to get to know anyone in school and it did not matter what their race was because all of them were not from my culture. I was always afraid because of what the parents might say about them, usually negative things so I didn't bother friendship until college really.

But AAs are the most wonderful people in this country. Honestly, they are the best in everything. I've been around my black bball teammates and their families are awesome. If there's anyone that's helped me in time of my need in this country when I really needed it, it is African Americans. I love them with all of my heart regardless of my 8th grade, "U so blk" experience.. It is not their fault they're being this negative about blackness and Africa.. and I'm longing to teach them more about my country. AAs are my favorite Americans and that's what's up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com