Medicating of children Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Medicating of children « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Danielle
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:50 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eventually I am going to adopt some kids and I have a few site bookmarked. As I read about the some of the problems they may have I noticed that damn, they drug the hell outta these kids. And if I see one more kid diagnosed with ADD or some other "hyper" disorder that we all grew out of when we young because back then we were all just some badass kids, I am going to scream.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danielle:

>>I noticed that damn, they drug the hell outta these kids.>>

In certain states, such as Michigan, there are so many incentives for parents to have a child that has "special needs".

I spent two years in Michigan as a math teacher and I can tell you first hand that over 50% of the children in schools (especially in low income areas) were classified as having AAA, ADHD, etc.

The poor children would be so high on their medication for most of the school day. I've seen children become very anxious when they had not taken their medication, because they were so used to being on it while in school.

And Lord forbid if a teacher made a reccomendation that a child was not fit for "special education"....the parents would come to the school to protest because they want to receive that (special needs) check....

Very sad situation...

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 130

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:39 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Half of these kids recieve meds when they should n't be and even more are being diagnosed with add an adhd when they really don't have either. For Some of those kids, the meds either escalate their behavior or create maladaptive symptoms that were not present before. For others, they are misdiagnosed with add/adhd and react to the (wrong) meds negatively.

When I was in grade school, there would be 3 or 4 kids (including myself) at the nurses getting their meds. Now ,I've observed, a line goes out door and halfway through the hall. And even worse, the kids who get psychiatric meds for legitimate reasons are being grouped in with these "mini-addicts". The legit kids no longer taken seriously anymore.It's over-diagnosis and it's rediculous.

Damn greedy psychs out there trying to profit from irresponsible parents!

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1381

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danielle:

I would strongly advise you to only adopt kids of relatives--who you know the history of. Though there are laws against the trafficking of children "fees" of anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 or more can be earned by agencies, parents, etc. Plus, state agencies are under pressure to get wards of the state out of the system.

There was a big mess when parents who had adopted children from Russia or Romania found out the kids had been abused or had certain mental problems.

If you think it is cruel for a child to be in a foster home or state custody think how cruel it would be should you find yourself in a position where you wanted to give it back--

Danielle
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well in about five or so years I plan to do it. One I need to have to have the money because it's so expensive and two I want my kids to be old enough to handle it. I'm going to start off with foster care with kids who are legally free. Give everyone a chance to get to know each other. Oh and don't worry they will be a psychological eval done on any kid living in my home who acting a lil wonky including my own. I don't want any surprises.

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2061

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

What a brilliant and "African" idea.

LOL

YOU KNOW WHAT:

In Egypt, Adoption is ILLEGAL amongst Muslims (which is the whole country).

My Grandmother had to go to the Mulla to get special permission to put me up for adoption.

The Black Africans, however,truly believe in adopting relatives.

If my mother's tribe had known anything about me existing---I would be a Nomad right now.

I think you're right, Chris. It's better to adopt a child who you know the history of and who is your family member.

I'm not speaking to Danielle's situation.

I'm just generalizing.

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 140

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:36 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danielle: Whatever choice you make, I have to say this:

If you got the strength and the paitience, and most of all, the WILL to rear a child with a troubled past, I bow to you. CLEARLY, very few people are willing to take the children who need a home most. The few who do, I salute you all more than any soldier. You don't give up on these kids when others have. Thank you. :-)

Danielle
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:13 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be honest I know I can't handle the therapeutic kids, the ones with the major, major problems because I won't be able to give that attention they would need. And those are some of the worst kids ever. Mostly because the system allows them to be. My aunt has therapeutic kids and her daughter was trying to get one girls reading level up, she's already in special ed, and the teacher told her that no one can make her read if she doesn't want to and so did the social worker. Before then the girl was reading maybe a page or so a day. She was getting there. After that she was like they said you can't make me. And that was that. They enable to remain ignorant and dependant on the system and a lot can work the system as well. Another one just leaves the house and takes a walk to call the police and say that my aunt is doing whatever to her because she can't get her way. But those are the special ones that I don't think you can help unless you get them young. Those girls maybe 12 and up.
I can deal with moderate emotional and learning issues. Because I've also noticed along with these kids being doped up they're in special ed. Imagine that.
My hubby is very hesitant about it but this is something I have always wanted to do and he just has to get on board and that's that because my mind will not change. Once we get settled and my kids are in school, maybe have sold a hellva lotta books because it's gonna cost in the thousands then I'll seriously start looking into it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com