It's starting to become obvious......... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » It's starting to become obvious...... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roxie
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 97

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:03 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....that certain people here prefer to use my young age (now 23) as an excuse to either dismiss my ideas or opinions or not take me seriously.
It comes off in the words "innocent" or "naive"
Ever thought that maybe I just don't agree with any of you? Then the bias comes out when you assume the level of my knowledge and lecturing me like I got a blank slate for a brain! (trust me I've met some REAL blank slates, and their still defending Ashley simpson.)
I know what some of you are thinking: "oh, she's still young, when she gets older she'll start agreeing with me." Okay, how about I grow up and still have my own perspective? Man, some of you forget that I have a mind of my own, and I choose which ideas I want to change. I'm not anyone's yes man.

There's a reason I'm on this board. Most people my age, especially black people aren't even thinking about the issues that come up on this board. I can't have progressive disscusions with them. They're all morons who only have music and clothes on the brain.

When I'm on this board I expect SOME kind of respect. I've been respectful to everyone here, haven't I? I may not be very old, but but I have alot more smarts than some of you like to acknowledge, and I have alot to contribute to the converations, even if they are minor,so PLEASE don't ignore me here.

PS: look at my last 2 posts on "Is skin color still an issue?". How many of you "elders" are aware of those people? hhmmph! naive, huh?:-(

Blkamericanking
Newbie Poster
Username: Blkamericanking

Post Number: 18

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:55 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

I am 34 and i thought i was the youngest here...LOL...I am so amazed at your intelligence for someone who is as young as you. I thought you were at least in your late 30's or early 40's. I have enjoyed your wonderful posts, please keep up the good work. I would be so happy to see more young brothers and sisters your age, come and join us on this board.

Rustang
Username: Rustang

Post Number: 81

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 09:15 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry that you feel this way.If anything that I've said was interpreted as talking down to you,I apologize for that.It certainly was not intended.From re-reading the thread that you mentioned,it seems to me that you might be slightly overreacting.I have seen exactly the same sort of language directed at people much older than you,myself included.I just sort of assumed that having Cynique call me a naive dreamer and getting cussed out by Kola was part of the registration process.:-)It's easy for people,again,myself included,to fall into the trap of thinking that there are only two options on a given issue.Agree with me or be wrong as hell.I try to keep that particular brand of foolishness in check.Some days I'm more successful than others.One thing that you might want to look at is that occassionally an actual idiot drifts through here.The sort of treatment that person receives is of an entirely different nature than how I see people responding to you.Ease up some.It's all good.:-)

Roxie

Post Number: 98

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 09:54 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rustang,you're not one of the people, you've been pretty kind.You too,Blkamericanking.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 132

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 01:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry, Roxie. I think you're a sweet young lady (smile). Keep telling us what you think.

Tonya

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 145

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

I am your age and feel the same way too sometimes. I would give my opinions on this board and some people, when they completely disagree, they make that age excuse. It's very irritating sometimes because I don't think age has anything to do with it since people much older than me could voice similarly. I'm a 23 year old woman not a 16 year old girl. I just haven't had the guts to tell them that. Although, I know that they're older than me and more political, seen the world, etc. But my opinion will never change if I don't get to see the world the same way they have. I'm obviously still in college and should have been done by now and working. I feel really bad, I didn't finish within 4 years but also think things happen for a reason. But I don't mind learning more and going for my masters the following year after I'm done.

You're your own person and 23 years old. And I don't think that age is young for your opinions to not be taken seriously by older people. I also think you're very smart for some of the things you say on here. What is it that you do for a living? I think you're just as smart as any of these writers on the board. Good job and stay strong.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Roxie, my girl, I'm inclined to think that no one but a 23-year-old would pout because others didn't rush to respond to her posts the way she thought they should have. Get over it. Everything you say doesn't pique everyone's interest. And in that regard, you are no different from anyone else who comes to this board. Respect? That can be an elusive reaction around here. Just like it is in the real world.

Slow Poke
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**snickering**

I never say anything around here because Cynique says it all perfectly. I get to just kick back and chuckle at all the clever stuff I woulda said.

Thanks Cynique and when the old man passes, I'll have flowers and a dance card waiting for you. You're my kinda lady and they don't make them like they used to. We're a dying breed, but not in the way that people like Kola think.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today is my birthday, Slow Poke, and your sweet remarks were a nice gift. When they put the candles on my cake tonight and the house catches on fire, you'll be in my thoughts as I run for safety. Love ya!

Viqi_french
Newbie Poster
Username: Viqi_french

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

Stay with the positive, girlfriend. You'll always have the miserable and mean-spirited out here chuckling 'cause they think they've dropped you to your knees -- crabs in a barrel, style.

In my life, the line for people with complaints and negativity forms alllllll the way at the VERY back. Why give a door key to "thugs" who ought to be quickly dealt with? Get your spiritual gat, girl, and stay strong! lol

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You make an fine enabler, Viqi French or, better yet, a kindergarten teacher. This board is no place for thin-skinned people. The idea that someone would get upset because people didn't give them feed-back is bogus. But obviously you can identify with Roxie's gripe.

Slo w Poke
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 05:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LMAO!!!!!!!!

**feedback indeed for Viqi**

LMAO!!!!

Crystal
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's ok Roxie. I'm more than twice your age and they ignore me and talk down to me too sometimes but I'm here more for me than them so . . . na-na-na-na-na!

Happy Birthday Cynique!

Roxie

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I admit I don't have alot of experience in certain areas, like relationships or raising children (obviously)and I have the humility to admit that. But unlike some of you, I'm just starting to build up the self-esteem and confidence I never had in adolescence (thanks Dad!).I sometimes slip: sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I do overeact a bit. Sometimes I need a confidence boost and I'm Just glad I have patient people like you to put up with me when my vulnerable side explodes. (Though I'm not so sure about Kola.)
-_-'

Roxie

Post Number: 100

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I definitely feel better knowing I'm not the only 20-something here!:-)

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 101

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:25 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh cynnique,
I am an adult, and as an adult, I am aware that everyone here, also adults, have jobs/occupations and outside engagements and, as adults with busy scedules cannot run to the computer every 5 minutes. For me to have a fit over people's failure to respond is a bit childish if not irrational, isn't it? But it's superiority-complexed people like you that prompted me to write this post, anyway.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 670

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Birthday, Cynique! Toast one for all us here on the Boards! (And you, Mr. Poke, keep your slow dances to y'self--This ain't that kind of board! LOL)

I'm obviously still in college and should have been done by now and working. I feel really bad, I didn't finish within 4 years but also think things happen for a reason.

You're right about that Africanqueen. I returned to undergrad after the time I "should have" graduated. I went on for my masters, currently slugging through--but almost done with--a PhD program. When it's all said and done, no one will care how long the path was you took to get where you're going; Just that you arrived there. So keep on keepin on, girl!

And in the spirit of this current conversation, know that I am not trying to talk down here based on age. Just sharing some encouragement (I hope) based on my own struggles.

Have a great rest of the week and week end everybody!

Viqi_french
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

Three SNAPs -- in "Z" formation!

That's the spirit. Some idiots just like to keep mess going everywhere they post... Really, they're like little kids who play on the phone, calling strangers and harrassing them. LOL The behavior of ten-year-olds.

I shall call these two: The Happy Meal Twins!

Viqi French

Viqi_french
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS

Is there a birthday party in McDonaldland tonight?!

Chatroom sings: "How old are you?"

The kid in the clown suit shouts: "TEN!"

LOL

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My, my, Vixxo Frenchfry, you are certainly in a hostile name-calling mode, aren't you? Really a sign of your maturity. Not! You're very transparent and your frustration is showing. It's so obvious that you're still stewing because me and Slow Poke weren't overwhelmed by the sample chapters you requested feedback on when you first exploded on the board, expecting everybody to drop what they were doing. tsk-tsk. Vindictiveness is sooo unbecoming, and your "put-downs" miss the mark because you have yet master the technique of wit. But, cheer up. Maybe somebody will get around to responding to your latest cry for attention.
Yoo-Hoo, Roxie, - here's your chance to bond with your new playmate! Go check out whatever it is Vixxo has tacked on the bulletin board and report back to those of us who have neglected to read her - whatever it is. And keep working at it, Roxx. Maybe you too, can acquire a superiority complex.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Crystal and Yvette for wishing me a happy birthday. You both are such a refreshing change from all the tepid blather that circulates around here. You 2 could say anything you wanted to about me and I would still like you, because I can just tell that you're "kool".

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2002

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique!! Happy Birthday!!!

Cake

ROXIE---just know that I adore you. Sorry for any hard feelings and promise not to treat you like my annoying daughter anymore.

Working very hard all...but VERY pleased with my new novel's progress. God is blessing me.

Also...a treat 4 you....

....many of the topics we talk about all the time came up in my latest interview with the WHITE FEMINISTS BAD GIRLS at SEX KITTEN---these are serious, very serious Gloria Steinem type girls who--like me--enjoy being sexy and girly while hating me. LOL!

I think my comments on White Women really startled them.

Here's a link to the interview:

http://sex-kitten.net/2453599144619.html

They also reviewed my book "Nile River Woman"

http://sex-kitten.net/2453601001459.html

**I hate that ABM left angry at me. And that is killing me. I cried about it this afternoon while I was writing.

Although I don't deny that I'm a neurotic, passionate often "foul-mouthed" woman.....it's all because of the great love that my human body just can't contain. I am very sorry for being mean to anyone, Rustang, that I've cussed and bitten. I thank you, Black American King for taking up for me. Please, please forgive me.

ABM should know that I'm very anxious and erratic, because without Thomas--I am weaker.

Rustang

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 08:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No need to apologize to me,Kola.I have nothing but respect and admiration for you.It is a rare individual that will go ahead and spontaneously tell you the unbridled,naked truth as they see it.It is actually quite refreshing to see a person so completely lacking in guile.I never have to sit and wonder if it is possible that I might have pissed you off.:-)

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 09:12 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have that book and I love the poems. And I love everything you said on the interview.I may not agree with you on some things but I am aware that your words are unique and important to the world and need to be spoken and spread out. That's why I barely argue with you. American-grown african-activists have become jokes so you're what this nation needs. But please remember, I've been in the US since birth and know only the US (or the Americas)as home. Don't be angry if I have a slightly american perspective of race. I have been able to look outside the box from time to time.

I respect opinions, so I just share my own as just that, but sometimes when we have conversations they sound a little like this:

me: "the sky is blue."
you: "no Roxie, the sky is BLUE."

I'm not much of a writer and I figured that it was the way I was puting my ideas into words that made you misinterpret them. So sometimes I re-explain them to make them clearer. I'm not trying to argue, just clarify.

Finally, It has always gotten to me when somone underestimated my level of knowledge or call me "naive" or a similar adjective. Teachers did it, some older adults did it. Heck, EMPLOYERS did it. Those teachers at my school are so used to air-headed 18-19 year olds that they constantly assume I have the same mindset ("uh yes ma'am, I DO KNOW what a rotary phone is").

I'll try to not take the words so personally anymore.

I still love you too. :-)

BTW, ABM's gone? [crying]

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 103

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 09:15 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the last post was to kola.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to my new best friend for the birthday shout-out! And stop apologizing for being yourself, Kola Boof. If people are offended by your brashness, then that's their problem.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1376

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique (or is it Cynique? I get so confused!)

So you're a Leo (float, float on. Float on float on--you remember that song by The Floaters)

No wonder I have always felt you were not completely Beyond Redemption.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1377

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh by the way, Happy Birthday to ya!

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 02:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your birthday wish, Chris. Yes, I'm a Leo and too old and too enlightened to be redeemed by anyone. Go pray for peace.

visitor
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What did I miss? When did ABM leave? Why? What's up? I read the board every day, how could I have missed something so important,or did I?

anonymous
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 02:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is ABM's swan song.

ALL,

I will not be posting on any of the Thumper's Corners sites for the foreseeable future. A dear family member of mine has recently passed on. And I think that perhaps it is time I use this transitional moment in my life to direct my efforts in other endeavors.

I wish you all the best in your pursuits and your lives.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 147

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy birthday Cynnique :-)

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 148

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

God bless your heart Abm.. I'm sorry about your lost.

Babygirl
Username: Babygirl

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's amazing what one misses when we disappear for a few weeks...!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CYNNIQUE! May you be blessed with many, many more!

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 107

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 04:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ABM, is that you?

[Sniff] I'll miss you. :-(
My prayers to your passed loved one and the rest of your family. Good luck to too and your new journey!I hope we meet again.:-)

Bleekindigo
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Bleekindigo

Post Number: 220

Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that I'm a day late Cyn, but HAAAAAAPPPPYYYY BIRTHDAAAAAY 2 YA! HAAAAAAAAAPPPPY BIRTHDAAAAAY 2 YA! HAAAAAAPPPPYYYY BIIIIRTHDAY!!!!

Bleek-

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2003

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Babygirl, I hope you read my thread entitled "NEW YORK CITY" now that you're back.

And also hope you're aware by now that it wasn't me who deleted your posts before you left.

Take care.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your birthday greetings, Bleek and Baby Girl! I like to think that I'm not getting older, I'm getting better - or at least better at getting older. LOL

Rustang

Post Number: 87

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And a belated happy birthday from me.Age is just a number.For some,a really big number,but still just a number.:-)

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 08:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rustang. Let's invoke yet another adage: "you're only as old as you feel", and I'm feeling very spry!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com