Liechtenstein's Black Princess and wh... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Liechtenstein's Black Princess and why we haven't heard of her « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

njmcgee
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After all the drama with Prince Albert, I thought I'd share a love story with you.

In what some are considering a modern-day Cinderella story, former New York fashion designer, Angela Brown, wed Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein in a fairy tale Manhattan wedding on January 29, 2000.

Angela Brown, the daughter of Mr. Javier Francisco Brown and Mrs. Silvia Maritza Brown, was born in Bocas del Toro / Panama on February 3rd, 1958. She attended high school in New York and studied fashion at the Parsonís School of Design. For three years, she sold her designs under the name A. Brown and also was employed until September 1999 by fashion designer Adrienne Vittadini.

Prince Maximilian, born on May 16, 1969. He attended school in Liechtenstein and earned a degree from the European Business School in Frankfurt in 1993. He currently works for Industri Kapital, a leading European private equity firm, in Hamburg.

The couple met while Prince Maximilian was working for Chase Capital Partners in New York City in 1997. They became friends and began a courtship in the summer of 1999.

The were wed at Saint Vincent Ferrer Church in Manhattan at 11:00 a.m. on January 29, 2000. The couple was joined by a few hundred friends and family members for the ceremony.

Based on America's obsession with European royalty, why haven't we heard more about this union?

njmcgee
Unregistered guest

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I know it happened a while ago, but it was never really publicized, and I thought it would bring another perspective on the whole black woman/white prince thing.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Abm

Post Number: 3839

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 07:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! I hadn't heard about this one.

Not only is she Black, but she's fairly plain looking...and OLDER!

He mustah pissed off a LOT of uppity Europeans!

HAHAHA!!!

Roxie
Regular Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 42

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:22 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the NEW additon to the legacy of black european royals.....

Sooner or later I see the royals of Europe getting browner and browner along with their respective countries' populations in the future and those uppity euros will HAVE to change with the times or die out with the old.
Hmmmm..... Half of those royals, like the windsors and the portugese royals, already have black and asian in their bloodline, they might as well just bring it back in.

BTW,I can't wait for their prince or princess (their child that is).:-)

Roxie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:44 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something I wanted to bring to attention:

You know those programs on A&E or E! channel about young royals and that show with the princess who wants to sing country?
What do they ALL have in common?
It's MORE than obvious that the media wants to focus on certain royals, i.e. the most EUROCENTRIC and the most WHITE.(btw the country-singing princess is iranian!)
At least in the US media, Black members of the royals are barely seen and even less attention is given to african royals (unless its a story about the monarch of Swaziland blaming the immoral state of the world on women wearing pants!)

Beacause of media, some people around me don't even know that there are african royals and some actually believe that black european royals is an invention of radical afrocentrism!

Also On one A&E program discussing brides for Prince William, a spokeman for the family commented that William needs a girl who's "white, upper-class, and a good reputation" (good luck with that one, Will!). This guy was so nonchalant about it too!But what do you expect when the women picking eligible maidens for him are older than his grandma?
However,I'll be LMAO and flipping for joy at the same time if William comes home with a black girl himself!

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 608

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read about this story years ago--when they married. I like them as a couple--they *seem*, by a certain gentleness in their facial expressions and eyes, that they are a very loving couple. Best wishes to them--I, too, can't wait for their prince or princess!

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1297

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me understand what we are talking about here--Lichtenstien, the pitiful little postage stamp of a country? Lichtenstien, Europe's answer to Botswana? Lichtestein the country that mostly exists as the answer to a trivia questions?

Why would we be impressed that a black woman married into the royal family of this little theme park with a seat at the United Nations? I'm embarassed. She probably has to bring her own lunch and make the beds twice a week.

Njmcgee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Hayden,

Lichtenstein might be small, but the ruling family is worth a couple billion dollars so I'm sure someone is bringing lunch to the Princess. You don't have to be impressed. My point of including this thread was an alternative discussion to Prince Albert's refusal to give his black son his last name. In my opinion, if Princess Angela was a different race, it would have been all over the press when the couple married a couple of years ago. Why are you so hostile to Lichtenstein? Have you visited the country? Did some Lichtenstien honey treat you wrong? Whew!!!

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3853

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

I hear yah. But a gottah roll with Njmcgee in one respect: A sistah can do a lot WORSE than marry some White dude who has a billion dollar trust fund.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 602

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sistah can do a lot WORSE than marry some White dude who has a billion dollar trust fund.

LOL! Princess Angela: "And what's most importantly, I ain't gotta f*** wit Ray-Ray's broke a** no mo'."
(~"Kanye's Workout Plan")
LOL!

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3856

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question: Was Princess Angela's married played up in the BLACK media?

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1301

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lichtenstein:

You are all quite easily impressed

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ls.html#People

I tell you what. I can get you some swampland out here in Gumbo bottoms and you can start your own town and be the Mayor, Sheriff and City Treasurer all rolled up into one.

Lichtenstein. Lord! When will my people be ready?

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3859

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

If the deal you're presenting comes with a +10-figure bank account, count me in!

"I'll be your huckaberry."

Njmcgee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 04:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ABM,

No, the marriage wasn't played up in the black media either. Jet Magazine is the only publication I know that mentioned it.

Chris Hayden,

I agree with ABM, I'll be your huckaberry, too!!

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3865

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Njmcgee,

Why do you suppose the Black press avoided the story as well?

Kalydosos
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 05:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lichtenstein:

You are all quite easily impressed

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ls.html#People
Chris:

I tell you what. I can get you some swampland out here in Gumbo bottoms and you can start your own town and be the Mayor, Sheriff and City Treasurer all rolled up into one.

Lichtenstein. Lord! When will my people be ready?

Me:

Chris you're right, the whole of Lichtenstein is barely the size of Manhattan. However, it's Grand Duke (the monarch) possess the largest private fortune of any of the European monarchs...period. The Queen of England's wealth (the one that she personally owns, which does not belong to the state itself) does not even begin to compare.

Plus, the Grand Duke is Europe only (and last) absolute monarch, who actually RULES his people, instead of just reigns over them (like the others do). He (the monarch) creates and passes the laws of the land with out consent, and nothing can be done in his principality with out his say so.

And further more, Lichtenstein has the highest gross per capita income than any other country in the world! If you could compare them percentage wise (with respect to population) Lichtenstein would leave the good ole US of A choking in its dust!!

Roxie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--Plus, the Grand Duke is Europe only (and last) absolute monarch, who actually RULES his people, instead of just reigns over them (like the others do). He (the monarch) creates and passes the laws of the land with out consent, and nothing can be done in his principality with out his say so.--

.....And imagine that power will one day be in the hands of a brown-skinned Monarch! we WILL rule europe again. Ooh, I can't wait!:-)

Njmcgee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abm,

Njmcgee, Why do you suppose the Black press avoided the story as well?

I really don't know about that one. It does seem like something the black press would mention.

Roxie,

.....And imagine that power will one day be in the hands of a brown-skinned Monarch! we WILL rule europe again. Ooh, I can't wait!

Well, I read that Prince Max and Princess Angela have a son named Alfons. But unfortunately, he's like fifth or sixth in line for the throne. Personally, I waiting for Chris Hayden to finish setting up his kingdom so I can be his queen.

:-)

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3872

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Njmcgee,

Could it be the BLACK press was about as excited about their marriage as the White American and European media?

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. This is an awesome forum. I have a little bit of knowledge and great interest in royalty. Monaco is also an absolute monarchy. Also here is a pic of the family (including little Alfons):
Pic Pic Pic

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also I heard that she and Maximilian are very private ppl so maybe that is why one has not heard of them alot. More pics!! The 1st three are from a skiing tournament in Liechtenestein. In all the pics she is w/ her sister in laws. In the second pics she is w/ Princess Sophie, wife of the sovereign Prince Alois.
picpicpicpic

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also (sorry for talking so much) here is information about there wedding from netty's oyal page (has the best news on royals from around the world)
http://www.nettyroyal.nl/maximilian.html

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 03:01 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

um well everything is black skin/white skin in America. It's very segragated still... I wonder if they think the same way in Lichtenstein.

Renata
Newbie Poster
Username: Renata

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think she's pretty...not exceptionally gorgeous, but pretty.

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She has hard "smile lines" like a white woman ... am I the only one who's noticed this?

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 09:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She seems a bit white. MAybe it is due to the fact that she is actually from Panama. But she grew up in the US and has citizenship here.

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 09:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Here are more pics! The 1st one is with his parents. His dad is the former ruler, but he abdicated a couple of years ago. I believ the last pic is with his siblings, including the current ruler and his wife. Enjoy

picpicppppp

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3927

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regina,

Got any pics of HER Black family/friends in the hopper?

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know I have not seen any pics w/ her family. I get these pics from image banks. Sorry. Maybe they are reallly private as Angela and Max seem to be.

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I love her tiara. All the ladies in the family wear that on their wedding day. It is the Kinksy Family tiara, or something like that.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3933

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regina,

That's fine.

I guess thought that they would be included within the source(s) of the marital photos you've posted above.

I do vaguely see, though, what appears to be lovely Black couple sitting behind them in one of your pictures. Maybe those are hear parents.

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think in the 5th pic from my previous post of pics, the black lady may be her sister. I am not sure though.
Here are some more pics. I hope I am not interferring with the bandwith. If I am please delete the pics or tell me to. It is just so encouraging to see a sister in these circles.

pPPPPPPPPPppp

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look at the last pic, you will see a blond lady to the left. SHe is Princess Tatiana and Prince Maximilian's sister. Angela is godmother to her second child. SHe and Tatiana have a very good relationship.

Tonya
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reneta said:

She has hard "smile lines" like a white woman ... am I the only one who's noticed this?

Tonya:

Nah girl, you aint even the only person that noticed that. I peeped it when I first read the article, but I wasn't posting then.

If I was posting I would've said-I aint even excited about this alleged black princess cuz she aint black enough for me.

I quess it's a good thing I wasn't posting then.

Tonya

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 09:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There you go with that "black enough" thing..... how black MUST one be to be black "enough"?

Heck, their son (and I'm assuming that's their son) is darker than my son...who ISN'T half white.

Tonya

Post Number: 81

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She looks MIXED not BLACK, so that's what I mean when I say NOT BLACK ENOUGH. What will happen when a REAL BLACK WOMAN becomes princess? She won't be able to enjoy the tittle of FIRST BLACK PRINCESS becuase some MIXED woman took her place.

THAT'S NOT RIGHT.

Tonya

Tonya

Post Number: 82

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why the hell is my screen coming out like this?

Tonya

Post Number: 83

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She looks MIXED not BLACK, so that's what I mean

when I say NOT BLACK ENOUGH.

What will happen when a REAL BLACK WOMAN becomes

princess?

She won't be able to enjoy the tittle of FIRST

BLACK PRINCESS becuase some MIXED woman took her

place.

THAT'S NOT RIGHT.

Tonya

Tonya

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She looks MIXED not BLACK, so that's what I mean when I say NOT BLACK ENOUGH.
What will happen when a REAL BLACK WOMAN becomes princess?
She won't be able to enjoy the tittle of FIRST BLACK PRINCESS becuase some MIXED woman took her place.

THAT'S NOT RIGHT.

Tonya

Tonya

Post Number: 85

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She looks MIXED not BLACK, so that's what I mean when I say NOT BLACK ENOUGH.
What will happen when a REAL BLACK WOMAN becomes princess?
She won't be able to enjoy the tittle of FIRST BLACK PRINCESS becuase some MIXED woman took
her place.

THAT'S NOT RIGHT.

Tonya

Tonya

Post Number: 86

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok that's better.

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:17 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um, ok.
Well as I have said before, Angela is Panamese-American. She is black, but I maybe the black ppl of Panama have been mixed b/c of the presence of the Spanish and Native Americans and whoever else qualifies.

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL...Tonya, what closet have you been living in while in the US? She looks like any typical Black American person. If you hadn't told me she was mixed with something, there's no way I would have known.

If she's too mixed looking to be considered black enough, I guess that would mean MOST of us aren't black enough.

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regina, I can't say that it's true of ALL Panamanians, but MOST that I've met are actually Jamaican. Their parents moved to Panama to work on the canal, and they just all stayed there. I'm sure there are some NON-Jamaican Panamanians, but I've never met or heard of them.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 104

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's not true, Reneta, most of us look like Africa. Although we all have some mixed blood, we (the majority) still look way more like our ancestors then her.

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you speaking of Americans or Panamanians?

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 1998

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 08:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most Black Americans
AND
Panamanians

look like AFRICANS to me.

Not all, but the vast majority.

A friend of mine came here from
Finland (he's black Nigerian)
and we agreed how
T.V. and Movies give such a FALSE
image of how Black everyday people
look.

For instance, a lot of Americans
really believe that Ethiopia and
Somalia are populated by these
straight-haired brown and yellow
mixed-looking people

...or that the only Arabs in Sudan
are the "Black" biracials like me.

On my tour last summer---everywhere
I went...the Black Americans look
MOSTLY
like West Africans.
Even some of the "yellow" ones
look like PURE Xosha and Zulu.

Kola

Post Number: 1999

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 09:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These Nigerian women

could easily pass as "Black American" women

Nigerian

Olcuhi

This girl is from Botswana--she could
look like an African American

Botswana

Most Black Americans
ALWAYS assume that I'm one of them.

KOLA

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 140

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol, Kola I agree! If a black African has even the slightest brown on their skin in America, most people mistake them for African Americans. 3 of my sisters have that slight brown and never went through any teasing because of that small light complexion, lol.

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Often, I'll see someone in public and assume they're American until they start talking to a friend of theirs......and they're not speaking English or Spanish.

Here in Atlanta, it seems that (other than Somalis and Sudanese) Africans don't have their own community, but kind of mix in with the rest of us.

Considering that many of the Somalis and Sudanese are here as political refugees, I can understand their wanting to stay with other people of their culture. I assume the others are here by free choice.

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not fair, Kola....

ALL of those women are professional models, I'm willing to bet money.

We 5'2" girls have a hard time competing with 6'0" tall AMERICAN girls, and now African women are coming over and making us look like crap.

The gorgeous one at the very top, I have lips like hers, but not quite as pretty. Of course, she's wearing a lipstick color that so graciously complements her skin tone.

Kola

Post Number: 2000

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lOL Renata!!

And at 6'3, I've been
jealous of women like you
all my life...wishing I could
be 5'2.

Men may "sexually revere" tall girls
---but they MARRY women they can
look down on.

And I had terrible "height" issues.

I think AA women are soooo beautiful
and spirited. I wish they would embrace
themselves more and also be proud that
they are African.

I hope my work helps them to do that.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 107

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 05:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reneta,

The girl in the second picture doesnít look like a model, She looks like the average black American young woman. Sometimes, the thing that separates AA women from African ones is the way we wear our hair and clothes. When I wear my hair in braids, for example, I get praised and told that I look African. But when Iím wearing a more American hairstyle, Iím never complimented on my Africaness. Instead, I blend in with all the other African American women. I still get compliments, but they are not the same.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 108

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reneta,

The girl in the second picture doesnít look like a model,
She looks like the average black American young woman.
Sometimes, the thing that separates AA women from African ones is the way we wear our hair and clothes.
When I wear my hair in braids, for example, I get praised and told that I look African.
But when Iím wearing a more American hairstyle, Iím never complimented on my Africaness. Instead, I blend in with all the other African American women.
I still get compliments, but they are not the same.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 109

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another thing that Iíve noticed is
that despite the fact that black
men donít value dark-skinned women,
they seem to have an appreciation
for those who look African.
They like that kind of beauty.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 141

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola, you are taller than me, lol... but I'm still 6'0 ft tall and loving it :-)

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I find myself looking at black ppl to see how African they look. And this is ever since I heard that Africans could still recognize an AA that was apart of their part of Africa (I heard the term tribes is condescending so I won't use that-please tell me what is right to say).

Renata
Regular Poster

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 04:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess she looks more like a model to me because of her height.

Southern women (that I've met and in my family) seem on average to be kind of short. My tallest friend ever was 5'6". Women in my family are usually 4'11" to 5'4".

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 143

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya, just because her noes is flat doesn't mean she can't be a model. She's got a great body and smile!

And like Renata mentioned.. she's tall as well.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 144

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 05:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

<<<< Tonya, assuming you think she doesn't look like a modelbecause of her noes. Forgive me if I'm assuming wrong ;)

Merle Lindsay
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: Liechtenstein
Princess Angela looks about as "MIXED" as I do and neither of my parents or grandparents are white. This color thing among blacks is soooo ignorant and old-timey. When I hear someone say that a person isn't black enough I just chalk it up to IGNORANCE. Whether your complexion is blue-black, black, brown, mocha, coffee-au-lait, etc. we are all BLACK of African descent. Those of us who aren't dark are probably the result of white masta's in slavery. We need to stop perpetuating the House Nigger vs Field Nigger Mentality.

The story simply is that a prince from filthy-rich Liechtenstein married a black woman named Angela Brown. BTW, I can't find the website I was viewing several months ago but it had photos of Princess Angela's parents -neither of them could be mistaken for anything but black. As for the wrinkles some of you say that you've noticed, may be because she was born Feb.3,1958 making her 46 while her husband was born 11 years later on May 16,1969.
Here's a link to a website I viewed
http://www.nettyroyal.nl/maximilian.html

C. Williams
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there is a difference between being a black American and an Afircan American. Black Americans are the descendants of slaves who came to this country hundreds of years ago. While they happen to share the same skin color of members of other ethnic groups such as Afican Americans and Hatian Americans there are cultural differences that distinguish the two groups. This statement is not meant to tout one groups heritage over the other, but is meant merely as an awknowledgement of the differences between the two groups. Irish Ameicans would definitely seem themselves differently than English Americans. This difference has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with history and culture. HRH Angela Brown is a Panamese American; she happens to have brown skin, but so do many others of different ethnicities. She is not a "black American." I wish her and the rest of the Royal Family the best of lives.

Liza Morales
Unregistered guest

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with C. There is a difference between these cultures that is more than skin deep. What is important is that we recognize these differences and celebrate them.--LIza

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 196

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merle said:

This color thing among blacks is soooo ignorant

and old-timey.When I hear someone say tha

person isn't black enough I just chalk it up to

IGNORANCE. Whether your complexion is blue-

black, black, brown, mocha, coffee-au-lait, etc.

we are all BLACK of African descent. Those of us

who aren't dark are probably the result of white

masta's in slavery. We need to stop perpetuating

the House Nigger vs Field Nigger Mentality.

Tonya:

EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID WAS PUUURRE IGNORANCE.

And those of us who are not dark is mostly the

result of lighter skinned African Americans

choosing not to mate with darker AAs, so that

they could keep whiteness within the family (a

phenomenon we now refer to as colorism or self-

hate). The mixed breed people that were born as

a result of rape during slavery should have been

bred out by now. THAT'S THE TRUTH---NOT

IGNORANCE.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 197

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My point was that she is not an AUTHENTIC black

person.... American, Panamanian, Hatian or

otherwise.... so, in my opinion, she's not black

enough.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 198

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AQ,

I didn't even look at her nose until you mentioned it.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 199

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And yes, she's beautiful, but I just don't think she looks like a model. You almost always have to be unique to be a model and although she's beautiful, she's not unique.

Tonya

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 210

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:06 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,

You're probably right. :-) But I seriously don't know what it takes to be a model. But people usually look for tall and skinny girls with a beautiful face and smile. I really don't know what unique would look like. I can't tell since the other girls look serious and not really smiling. So if you were to see her pose like the other girls, then you might see it, I don't know.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 212

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AQ,

Iman is unique.

Naomi Campbell is unique.

Alec Wek is unique.

Tyra Banks is beautiful but she's not unique....

There is nothing that stands out about her,

which is why many people can't understand why

she's a model. For years people have been

questioning Tyra Banks as a model. As for the

girls who you refered to as looking serious, if

you notice, the first one has very unique eyes

and the other one has a natural girl-next-door

kind of beauty which is unique as well. Some

people think that anyone who is tall thin and

beautiful can automatically be a model, but that's

not true.... the industry usually look for those

who are beautiful and unique---those who stand out.

Tonya

Royalt
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 01:06 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have followed and like Angela and Maximilian.
I'm just mad at her for having access to so much cash and not having a better weave. I'd have a straight-up fusion weave.

It is so annoying when some American blacks of hispanic origin try to somehow now claim their blackness -- they try their darndest to differentiate between themselves and African-Americans.

Brit
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 02:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is Angela real hair.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 02:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am very happy for Princess Angela not matter what color she is.

More power to her.

Some of you people are idiots!

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 07:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with anon!

bwa
Unregistered guest

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 07:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

all black are africans

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright © 1997-2009 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com