Bomb blast @ G-8 Summit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Bomb blast @ G-8 Summit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roxie
Regular Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blasts Rock London's Subway, Killing at Least Two

Prime Minister Blair Calls Terror Attacks 'Barbaric'

By JANE WARDELL, AP

LONDON (July 7) - Three explosions rocked the London subway and one tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday. The blasts killed at least two people and injured about 300 in what a shaken Prime Minister Tony Blair called a series of ''barbaric'' terrorist attacks.

Blair said it was clear the attacks were designed to coincide with the opening of the G-8 summit in Gleneagles, Scotland. The prime minister said the meeting of world leaders would continue but that he would return to London.

''Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilized nations throughout the world,'' said Blair.

A group calling itself ''The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe'' posted a claim of responsibility for the blasts, saying they were in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Web statement, republished on the site of the German magazine Der Spiegel, could not be immediately confirmed.

Britain's Home Secretary Charles Clarke said there were three explosions in the subway and one on a bus. ''We do not know who or what organizations are responsible for these terrible criminal acts,'' Clarke said.

Officials at hospitals surveyed by The Associated Press reported 300 people treated for injuries following the explosions.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Brian Paddick said the figure was based on reports from the London Ambulance Service. Police have confirmed that there were some fatalities but had not confirmed any numbers by early afternoon.

The blasts came one day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics. Giselle Davies, a spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee, said the committee still had ''full confidence'' in London.

Bloodied and bandaged witnesses reported panicked crowds fleeing the blast sites. A witness at the bus explosion said the entire top deck of the bus was destroyed.

Sir Ian Blair, London's police chief, said he was concerned the explosions were a coordinated attack but said he wouldn't speculate on who was responsible. He said officials had found indications of explosives at one of the sites.

Police reported ''a number of fatalities'' at one London subway station. ''Things are still relatively confused,'' Superintendent John Morgan said.

Denying an earlier report, Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said that Israel was not warned by Scotland Yard in advance of the blasts.

''We have been at a very high state of alert. Of course if there had been any kind of specific warnings we would have dealt with it,'' Blair said.

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station had soot and blood on their faces. He told BBC TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London.

Paul Woodrow, an official with the ambulance service, told reporters that rescue operations were ongoing and that ''there are large numbers of casualties.'' Officials at the Royal London Hospital told BBC that 95 injured had been brought into that hospital alone.

Jay Kumar, a business owner near the site of the bus blast, said he ran out of his shop when he heard a loud explosion. He said the top deck of the bus had collapsed, sending people tumbling to the floor.

Many appeared badly injured, and bloodied people ran from the scene.

''A big blast, a big bomb,'' he told The Associated Press. ''People were running this way panicked. They knew it was a bomb. Debris flying all over, mostly glass.''

''I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air,'' Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square, near the British Museum.

Bradley Anderson, a subway passenger, told Sky News that ''there was some kind of explosion or something'' as his train reached the Edgware Road station in northeast London.

''Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train,'' Anderson said.

Simon Corvett, 26, who was on an eastbound train from Edgware Road station, said: ''All of sudden there was this massive huge bang.''

''It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered,'' he said. ''There were just loads of people screaming and the carriages filled with smoke.

''You could see the carriage opposite was completely gutted,'' he said. ''There were some people in real trouble.''

London's cell phone network was working after the explosions but was overloaded and spotty, limiting communication.

The explosions sent stocks plummeting in Europe, with several of the major indexes down 3 percent.

On March 11, 2004, terrorist bombs on four commuter trains in Madrid killed 191 people.

07-07-05 08:56EDT
--------------------------------------------------

This attack seems so unneccesary and random. What does this summit even have to do with Al-qaeda? Is this connected to Sudan or something or does this group just want attention driven away from africa and back to their issue? If there is a purpose I'm not aware of ,please explain it to me.
-_-'

Radiationx
Veteran Poster
Username: Radiationx

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:42 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What say you Peaceniks now? Next the'll be in our local movie theater killing us while we eat popcorn and watch Denzel.
Resistance is the only way to deal with extremeist! kill them or they will kill us.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1284

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radiationx:

First of all we don't know who did it. List of possible suspects:

Irish Republican Army, the Argentines, Baathists, Al Quaida, Indians Africans or Chinese looking for revenge for massacres of their people carried on during colonial times (oh, yes, unlike computer armchair warriors people have a long memory) or rogue elements in the British, American or Israeli governments themselves.

I say you ought to sign up and go to Iraq tough guy. You been doing a lot of big talk and no action.

Radiationx
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 65

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 03:23 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know what? You are an idiot. I guess you assume that if we withdraw our forces in Iraq and all areas where extremeist feel that we are an affront to their sensibilites that the terror problem will just go away.

1. a group that says that they are affiliated with Al Quaida has claimed responsibility for the attacks in London.

2. As I said before we have a voluntary military,but if a draft was reinstated I would not resit going if called.

3. I'm pursuing dual degrees in mathematics and engineering. I hope that my skills will be able to help free nations prevent terrorism in the future.

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 03:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wars are fought, but never won.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1285

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RadiationX:

If you told me it was raining outside I'd want to go out and get wet before I'd believe it--

We seen plenty of tough guys like you in my day--Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Rielly--they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. They had a chance to fight the bad communists but all found something better to do. You "want to get your degrees in math and engineering"--well, you don't need to wait for a draft. And the army is willing to pay for your degrees after you do your ervice. You can go down and sign up. They are having trouble making their quotas now. I understand though that it is a lot easier sitting here calling somebody a peacenik --I got another word for what you are and they got feathers and lay eggs.

Another funny thing. Funny how you show up just a little bit before this goes down and then you start harping on peaceniks and fighting--this happened right before 9/11--bunch of you guys showed up--started ranting about how we didn't need to find out who was at fault and we had to go after the terrorists--and then they disappered.

Who you working for, buddy?

Radiationx
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had wanted to be a soldier I would have signed up for the military.But like I said If I was drafted to go I would go.

What is your solution to the problem of terrorism?
Opposition for the sake of opposition is not a position. If you were in charge, imagine yourself as President Chrishayden, what would be your policies to combat terrorism? If you have a better Idea than the current solution I'll willingly renounce my ideas and be a proponent of yours.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 579

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I desire that those who are innocent not pay the price for these crimes, I don't see any other way of dealing with these issues/crimes than using stong, military force. Unfortunately, the innocent will suffer. I feel inhumane for thinking this way, but seeing how women and children, especially female children, are treated in "extremeist" cultures, I feel the need for America to protect our way of life--any way we have to.

War, like peace, will always be a part of man's heart, therefore, resistance, in this case, is a must, especially if we value what freedom(s) we do have here. As a woman, there is no better place to live.

But, freedom is really not 'free'. It's bittersweet.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1286

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RadiationX:

Tell me when you are going to get some backbone and I can answer your questions.

Moonsingns:

Pathetic as usual.

Radiationx
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 67

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as I thought your response would be:

IMPOTENT!

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1287

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radiationx:

Go down to your local pawnbrokers. See those spherical things hanging over the door? That's what you ain't got and you ain't gonna get any posting on the internet, no sir.

Moonsigns:

If you can't handle that stuff you should quit smoking it.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 581

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

People have different things they value. You call my freedoms 'pathetic'. As a woman, I call them priceless.

And, I sure don't see any people making a mad dash and risking their life (and their families life) to escape America.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 582

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 04:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

But....but....I didn't inhale.

teehee.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1289

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns:

You wear wire rimmed glasses, a granny dress, eat granola and go barefoot a lot, don't you?

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the life of me, I can't understand how anybody can think that staying in Iraq will deter the war on terroism? What does one have to do with the other?? All it takes to commit an act of terrorism is for a small group of dedicated men to pull off a bombing. That quagmire over there in Iraq is an exercise in futility which does nothing to discourage terrorism, obviously. But warhawks will be warhawks, so let them wave the flag and rattle the sabers. (Bush probably had a hand in the London attack, hoping to shore up support the Iraqi farce that gullible Americans are bamboozled by.)

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1291

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All:

Why won't you people just listen to Cynnique?

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Abm

Post Number: 3802

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns/Radiationx,

I'm bored with debating the merits of the Iraqi war.

It is a VOLUNTEER military. So why don't you "Let's blast'em all to hell!" foks suit up and put your ass where your talk is.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 583

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

My vision is perfect (thank GOD), I adore European fashion, love health food (but refined "granola" isn't health food), and I despise going barefoot (love my pedicures and I hate germs and dirty, crusty feet). Guess you got me wrong. What a surprise. *wink*

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 584

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:45 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abm,

I want our military to pull out of Iraq. I want our money spent on beefin' up our borders and creating a system that uses extreme discretion in regards to who they allow in here--ALL in a perfect, or at least better, world. However, I don't think that will happen.

"It is a VOLUNTEER military. So why don't you "Let's blast'em all to hell!" foks suit up and put your ass where your talk is."-Abm

Because, Abm, just like you said, it's a "VOLUNTEER military". I absolutely respect and support the fact that military personnel put their lives on the line, but that doesn't mean I have to do what they do. The military, just as any other profession, isn't for everybody.

Radiationx
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique:

(Bush probably had a hand in the London attack, hoping to shore up support the Iraqi farce that gullible Americans are bamboozled by.)

What a sad, and National Enqurier-like theory.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That you took my joke seriously, shows how gullible you are, RadiationX.

Radiationx
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah right.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3805

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 08:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns,

That's a predictably convenient position you have. It's okay for OTHER foks to fight/die for what you'd argue to be in ALL our best interests.

Well then, if the military doesn't meet it's staffing requirements, are you (and Radiationx) going to suit-up then?

After all, it's in America's best interests.

Right?

Radiationx
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To Abm, Chrishayden, and all the rest of his ilk,who have the same view on this issue:

Why can't you propose a cogent alternative to war in the fight against terrorism? I'd like to see a peaceful resolution to the terrorism question, if a peaceful resolution is possible. You guys are not articulating anything but the view that those of us who agree fighting force with force is necessary should "go strap up".

Give me a viable alternative solution.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 587

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abm,

It's not a "predictably convenient position" that I have. One of the roles of any military is to protect it's people--and possibly die in the process. Individuals who enlist in the military are well aware of this. While I have no passion for such a profession, there ARE people who do--and they serve. I absolutely RESPECT what they do to protect the freedoms I enjoy. Therefore, I support what they must do to ensure that. America, even with it's flaws, is STILL the best place to live--especially for WOMEN and female children!

Yes, it is in America's best interest. While you protest my stance, I'm rather confident you have no imminent plan to leave the US for something 'better'. It ain't out there. We both know that.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3807

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Radiationx,

Open your eyes.

This is NOT Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union we're fighting.

You don't use conventional war tactics to fight terrorists. You use some combination of espionage, Special Forces, black ops, etc.

You form relationships with and bribe people (of questionable identities/motives) who can get you close enough to bin Laden to put some strychnine in his coffee.

The FBI, CIA, NSS, Secret Service, etc. have successfully applied these techniques against terrorists for decades. But there are no $100 billion defense contracts in this kind of work. And this stuff is NOT good PR for winning presidential elections.

So off to Iraq we go!

But what we're doing now is creating more potential terrorists than it kills. Because so much collateral damage is being done now we have 100,000's who probably hardly could identify the US on a globe now burning our name in effigy.

Plus, NOBODY's ever proven there was a connection between 911, al queada and Iraq. The 911 Commission report EXPLICTEDLY states there's no proof of such.

Moreover, almost ALL the 911 attackers were Saudi's. So why aren't we invading Saudi Arabia?

No disrespect. REALLY. But at some point SOMEBODY's got to understand what's going on in Iraq not only is illegal and immoral.

It's INEFFECTUAL.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3808

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns,

You didn't answer my question: If Uncle Sam says he needs YOU, will you go?

See. All of us get to do our armchair warmongering never figuring that we might be called to get OUR head might get blown off.

You say foks in the military signed up for this. But just because you're called into duty don't mean it's just or legitimate. Just because some fool, whose KIDS will NEVER be in harms way, makes you unjustly risk your life doesn't mean EVERYONE should blindly accept it.

ESPECIALLY when they're no proof it's stated objective, to thwart terrorism, is being achieved.

I respect and love foks the military ALSO. They’re some of my dearest kin and friends. That's WHY I don't think they should be fighting/dying for some profiteering bullshit like what's occurring in Iraqi.

Bush, Cheney and the rest of those greedy SOB's are making a FORTUNE on these wars via their relationships and investments The Carlyle Group, Halliburton, etc.

Cheney's STILL getting a paycheck from Halliburton, which legal scholars have argued is in violation of federal law.

And were not even talking about the +BILLION they'll probably each score in cushy Oil and Defense industry gigs, stock options, etc. once Bush's term is done.

Don’t try to pull that "love America or leave it" shit on me! I'm a descendent of BLACK slaves. NO other lineage has done more to earn the right to criticize this country's fallacies and evils than have my kind.

I love this country as much, if not MORE so, than you do. I want it to survive and achieve its promise. But it WON'T if we arrogantly and self-righteously continue to amass enemies throughout the globe.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The peaceful solution to the war on terrorism is for America to mind its own damn business and quit trying to police the world under the guise of spreading democracy. Terrorism thrives because hate for America is so wide-spread, and hate for America has its roots in an arrogancy that insists "it's our way or the highway." Also, terrorism is the new boogey man, an inflated threat exploited by the neocoms in order to encourage American citizens to blindly follow their government, believing that those in charge are keeping them safe from harm. Terrorism has replaced Communism, which after a cold war that lasted 30 years evaporated because as far as it being a threat was concerned, it was a paper tiger. Predictably, America is on the road to imperialism and, like Rome, it is in danger of collapsing from within.

RadiationX, I'm not surprised that you took my crack about George Bush seriously. With your mind-set, it figures that you would latch on to a conspiracy theory.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 589

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abm,

If Uncle Sam said I "need" to go, I'd have no choice. But, would I volunteer? No. I don't think you'd volunteer either, though. I don't have the solution to these problems. From what I gather, you don't either.

I think the war is just as wrong as you do. I understand that there is big money involved. But, what's going to change? This way of living has always been an element of the rich--regardless of what country they reside. America isn't the only one with dirty hands.

I never suggest you "love America or leave it", but really, where else would you want to be? I sure don't want to live anywhere else in the world. And, I don't get into pissin' contests with people about patriotism.

Africanqueen
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 95

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems, there will always be terrorism and that's just scary.

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even if we were not in Iraq, terrorists would still be attacking. Their goal is to take over the world as Islam and ther prophet muhammed decreed. Besides we were ot in Iraq when 9/11 happened, we wern't in Iraq when the first World Trade Center bombing happened, the embassy bombings, the USS Cole. During the Cold War, the biggest enemy was the SOviet Union. Now that the SU's power is depleted, there is one target-the US. I am proud of Blair for getting tough w/ this issue. He is introducing measures to not tolerate any extremism and to deport ppl who do. I was watching CBN (w/ Pat ROberts) and there was an interview with one of the top sheikhs in Britain (they say he is the father of jihadism/extremism in Britain). He says that he will leave b/f he is deported. ANyway I am glad Britain is getting ,tougher, now for the rest of the West especially the US.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 549

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 720

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright © 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com