Angelina Jolie adopts ethiopian child... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Archive July 2005 to April 2006 » Angelina Jolie adopts ethiopian child w/ AIDS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roxie
Newbie Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Angelina Jolie adopts Ethiopian AIDS orphan
Tue Jul 5,11:13 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Angelina Jolie is adopting a newborn Ethiopian girl orphaned by AIDS, People magazine reported on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jolie, who has toured the world as goodwill ambassador for the United Nations' High Commissioner on Refugees, said the baby would be named Zahara Marley Jolie but would not reveal the child's age, height or weight, People said.

The magazine had no further information on the baby's health but said she had been left an orphan by AIDS.

Jolie, 30, told People that she and her son Maddox, 3, who she adopted from a Cambodian orphanage, were "very happy to have a new addition to our family."

Arrangements for the adoption were expected to be completed Wednesday.

"Angie's over the moon," a source close to the actress told People. "It's a dream come true. She's always wanted to extend her family."

Jolie has been romantically linked with Brad Pitt, her "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" co-star, but the source denied they were planning a family.

"Angelina's adopting as a single mother and she wants that emphasized," the source told People.

The twice-divorced Jolie has often talked of adopting a second child. After a trip to Ethiopia earlier this year, Jolie said of Maddox: "My son is in love with Africa, so he has been asking for an African brother or sister."
--------------------------------------
Uh, ummm.......does this sound genuiune or does anyone else smell a PR stunt?

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Abm

Post Number: 3799

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

I give ANYONE credit who's willing to adopt a child who has AIDS, "PR stunt" or not.

And - KOLA - I'm NOT just saying that because I part of me wants to nail Jolie.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 576

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could be wrong.....but, the willingness to be a goodwill ambassador for the UN speaks volumes about where her heart is. She not only puts her money where her mouth is (especially in regards to her son's homeland), but has also traveled extensively--witnessing with her own eyes the devastation that many of these children face. I don't think the average human being would be able to witness such and not be moved. For this reason, I think she is genuine in adopting this little girl. She appears to have the heart for adoption, and she definitely has the financial resources to properly care for this little girl--which is what this baby deserves. I wish her and her children well.

Roxie
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just get a little suspicious sometimes at the intentions of celebrities adopting a foriegn-born child (especially children of color). But if Maddox is doing alright, I guess that baby will be fine too.

I hope though, his and Jolie's love with africa is genuine and not the usual exploitive novelty. Despite what Kola says sometimes, they're are non-black people who embrace africa and Blackness as much and even more than some blacks (like my adopted chinese-Jamaican cousins).

Not everyone grew up feeling racially superior to blacks(especially those RAISED by blacks)and I wouldn't completely shun these people from our barracks.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this child actually have AIDS, or is she simply an orphan whose parents died from AIDS? One doesn't neccesarily preclude the other. I admire Angelina's commitment and compassion but, of course, it's easy to be charitable when you're a zillionaire

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3801

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie,

I'm sure there's some exploitation here as well. Come on, whenever White people mix with non-Whites there almost always is at least SOME of that.

But I agree with Moonsigns that Jolie's record appears to be about as sincere as you can expect; at least from a pampered, famous, rich White American female.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, Roxie, you can't help but notice that bronzed, keen-featured, Ethiopians are a very beautiful race of people. Angelina apparently elected to bypass a needy child from a black, nappy-haired African race. But at least she is trying to make a difference and for that I give her credit.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1281

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All:

These damn Hollywood celebrities are so fake it is pathetic. It is a stunt. She will pack the kid off with a nanny and see it once or twice a year between flings with her leading men and write the whole thing off on her taxes.

Furthermore she is ugly and it makes me sick to look at her--another thing I get sick of his how these big movie executives foist their harlots off on us as examples of beauty.

Fake. Fake all of it. Airbrushed, posed, backlit, madeup surgically enhanced, drug drenched and insane.

The only thing more sickening is the slobbering peons who grovel for a chance to worship this fake "glamour"

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your generaliztion may be true about a lot of movie stars, Chris, but I don't agree that it's true about Angelina. From all outside sources and from candid pictures taken without her knowledge, she takes her motherhood very seriously and is rarely separated from her son. You may not think she is pretty, but she has the type of assets that don't need to be enhanced and many people consider her a natural beauty. Not only that, she gives away a millions of dollars to charitable causes. I think she's a genuine humanitarian; maybe not perfect, but at least socially-conscious.

Roxie
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 02:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She has done a BIT more than some of her peers, especially more than what's-his-face who jump-started "Live-8".

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1282

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique:

Don't get me started--

Africanqueen
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Africanqueen

Post Number: 89

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This woman has the most amazing heart for what she does for children; that's all I've got to say about this post.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1283

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All:

Y'all don't know this woman do you? You know more about me than you know about her.

All you know is a carefully crafted image that has been put out before you. You feel, since you have maybe had newspapers or magazines about her into your home or seen her movies that you know her.

It is an illusion. The person you think you know does not exist.

Roxie
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 04:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OKAY Chris, we get your point. All celebs are vapid,soul-less scum only looking out for themselves . Got it.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Billy-Bob Thornton in a interview, said the reason he and Angelina got a divorce was because she was too good for him, and this scared him; he said she wanted to save the world and give away all her money. Chris, you are applying the old cliches to the Hollywood scene. What you say is true of some of them but others shun that old phony regimen. This is 2005. Not 1995.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 582

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 06:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a trip to Ethiopia earlier this year, Jolie said of Maddox: "My son is in love with Africa, so he has been asking for an African brother or sister."

Huh????

"Mommy please, please, please can I have one ovethose African babies in the window please, please,please, Mom? If I eat all my peas, Mom, can I have one?"

Lord. Have. Mercy.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No! You can't one of those babies. I have better things to do with my money than to rescue a little girl from a miserable life. Where do you get such far-out ideas from? Good Lord!

Africanqueen

Post Number: 90

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 01:49 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris said: "------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
All:

Y'all don't know this woman do you? You know more about me than you know about her.

All you know is a carefully crafted image that has been put out before you. You feel, since you have maybe had newspapers or magazines about her into your home or seen her movies that you know her.

It is an illusion. The person you think you know does not exist."

I say: I agree with you 100%. We don't know who this woman is. But I don't agree with you when you talk about her as being "fake". Don't you think that that's just another illusional thought you came up with? Until you get close and talk to Jolie, you will never know wether she is real or fake.

She went out there and saw poor children... she is a white woman willing to adopt a black child. Now tell me, is that fake? That is what I call a beautiful soul, a generous soul... and well not even black people are doing what she does and we're suppose to be coming originally from Africa.

Tiger woods made 86 million dollars this year and I've never heard him giving a cent to poor people...

I admire Jolie for her kindness.

Roxie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:41 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yvettep:--"Mommy please, please, please can I have one ovethose African babies in the window please, please,please, Mom? If I eat all my peas, Mom, can I have one?"--

LOL!that's exactly the part of the article that made me suspicious! But then, like a lot of adopters ,she may have spent time with the baby with no intentions of adopting and fell in love w/ that infant after a period of time.

Roxie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 09:49 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And maddox is not the first kid to say "I want a (nationality)brother or sister". Jolie may not have taken the request seriously at first, though.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 578

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While we truly don't know Angelina, this is just one of those situations where actions speak louder than words.

In regards to her son making that comment--he is a very little boy who, I feel, is speaking from his heart. Children, especially children his age, are innocent. I believe that there was something inside him that was drawn to Africa and it's people--and he wants to be a part of that. If his mother has the ability to open her heart, home and financial resources to another child, more power to her--and, more power to them as a family. She is doing a lot more than her (millionaire) peers, both White and Black.

Africanqueen

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Moon. this child made a strong comment for his age. I'm sure he feels for the other children too, what if he only wants another one to survive just like him. I for one, even though was not adopted when I land in the United States, I always wished the entire refugee camp go somewhere beside the camp, just like me. And I still wish the same thing, and when I have money I'll be going to spent time with them there. But people, he's just a little boy, no need to question his heartfelt request. Jolie cannot adopt the entire poor children of Afica, but I bet she's put it into consideration, it's just impossible... but her child asking for a brother means the world to her I bet.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1288

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie:

Now go forth and share these good tidings with my lost sheep.

Cynique:

Did you miss me, lover?

African Queen:

If she is so genuine why did she have to splash all this all over the newspapers?

You all want to believe in a celluloid vision of divinity--the Kingdom of Heaven is within you. I would rather take the cast off nail clippings from any of you than spend an eternity in the presense of that silicone lip heifer!

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3803

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie/Chris,

Jolie is about the best you can expect of her ilk, which, though doesn't really accomplish MUCH...at least is SOMETHING.

And there are FAR WORST things for a kid to ask of its White mother than an African orphan of AIDS.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 585

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Jolie is about the best you can expect of her ilk."-Abm

"ilk"??!!--damn, Abm, your choice of words makes her out to be something other than a human being.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate being put in the position of defending a movie star, Chris/aka/Lover, but Angelina is a favorite of the press and the paparazzi. She doesn't seek publicity, she attracts it because she is good copy and if you see pictures of her as a child, you'll see that her juicy lips are natural, not silicon-enhanced. I've really been following her lately, because I'm fascinated with how Brad Pitt found her more desireable than his wife. And from all indications, Angelina, although a little nutty, is very sincere in her desire to help others. You are so prejudiced against the show biz crowd that you boycott any straight forward information about them, preferring to lump them all in the category of being shallow people who crave the spotlight. Some are, some are not. True, we don't know them personally, but neither do you. Nor do you know anything about the people you admire except what you read and hear about them.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now, Moonie, as a person who uses the word "ilk" occasionally, I question why you have a problem with using it in conjunction with a human being? All "ilk" means is "sort" or "kind."

Africanqueen

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

What's wrong with a celeb telling the world she's got a new child... they get preggy all the time and it's in magazines.. I feel the same thing should happen for adoption. It is up to her not you to tell the world she's adopted a beautiful child from Africa.

Let America know the good she does, so that others might do the same good.

Njmcgee
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique,

You said on your July 6th post:
you can't help but notice that bronzed, keen-featured, Ethiopians are a very beautiful race of people. Angelina apparently elected to bypass a needy child from a black, nappy-haired African race.

Are you implyiing that "black, nappy-haired" Africans aren't beautiful?

Africanqueen

Post Number: 96

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL @ Njmcgee. Cinque that better not be your imply because I'm a beautiful nappy haired (excuse me, afro not nappy) black African. Why are people so color blind when it comes to beauty? grrrrr, lol. I need to put a pic of muh afro hair here:-).

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 1945

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 08:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let us not forget....that MOST of the people of Ethiopia look like their Track and Field stars....charcoal nappyhead blacks.

And that the WORLD MEDIA only focuses on the mixed race "ELITE" Class--the rulers of Ethiopian society, who rule basically because they are mixed with Non-African blood and have Non-African hair.

These are the people who can AFFORD to come to the U.S. and they are the ones most often photographed--they populate the capital city of Addis Ababba.

But Ethiopia, as a nation, looks nothing like how Cynique described it.

And let's also acknowledge that the Somali's are much more beautiful than the Ethiopians, truth be told.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 594

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique,

I know what "ilk" means--it's just the way Abm used it...the tone of it....the spirit of it--like white people are some evil "kind" that have no compassion for other human beings.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been waiting for the "usual suspects" to chime in on that statement. A young Ethiopian woman introduced at Live 8 had been an orphaned infant rescued thanks to the efforts of the original "Live Aid" years back, and she looked the way I described Ethiopians, as do all of the Ethiopians I've met in America. You can read anything you want into my observations.

Africanqueen

Post Number: 97

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsign,

Not all white people have no compassion for other human beings. Black or white, some of us have compassion for other lives. I know white people who leave America to become lifesavers or teachers in poor countries. What have you done to show compassion for others?

As far as the Ethiopians are concern, Cynnique, in real life I've only seen the ones with long curly hair and bright skin. I had Ethiopian friends in Kenya and everyone in school looked up to them just because they were light with long hair. Somalians on the other hand grow very long curly hair with light skin and many of them attended my school, but for some reason Ethiopians were more followed, I really didn't know why though. Light skinned Ethiopians might have been prettier than those Somalians and Somalians were just as light with long hair. I also thought those Ethiopians handled themselves quiet well. They were never rude to me but the Somalians were mean to me. I just always thought, no wonder Somalia's fighting with itself, it has no respect for other people. I mean come on, I heard this country had one common language and religion yet they still had a civil war. I always got into fights with a Somalian girl, she was just always rude to me, lol... we always argued with the little Swahili we both knew in Kenya. One day I said stuff to her in the little English I knew and everybody became stunt, lol. I've only seen dark skinned Ethiopians on the discovery channel.. they were showing how they whip each others back until they bled for the heck of it. They were southern Ethiopians so I would think that the dark people are all in the south of all eastern African countries.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3812

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:42 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns,

By "ilk" in reference to Jolie I mean wealthy, pretty, famous, over-exposed/analyzed, thoroughly-a$$kissed, second-generation Oscar-winning movie stars.

And, oh, yeah, you can through the "White" part in too.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AfricanQueen, you're such a gracious person. I hope I didn't offend you in my insensitive attempt to point out that Angelina Jolie, for all of her good intentions, might subconsciously be color-conscious. What you reported about your school experiences with other Africans was very interesting. I admire how your resilience doesn't seem to be tainted with hate.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Moonie. All is forgiven.

Kola

Post Number: 1947

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nyibol, you are wrong about Ethiopia.

You have to remember that those who can AFFORD to leave the country are the lightskinned (which is not light by U.S. standards, but cinnamon or honey colored) curly haired people.

I have traveled in every region of Ethiopia and just as Louis Farrakhan reported--it's a mostly Black nappyheaded nation, although they're not as black as South Sudanese. He wasn't lying.

However, just like Egypt, the camera only falls on the lighter-curly haired peoples (who are the key population of the capital city). And only they have MONEY--the rest of the country is starving.

NOTICE how the Arab gov. in SUDAN is now keeping "white" Arabs out of public view. To watch American t.v.--you would think all the Arabs in Sudan were my color. But MOST Arabs in Sudan are white.

It's how they show WASHINGTON D.C. to be a "white city" on television---but in real life, it's almost ENTIRELY a Chocolate City.

And lastly, I Kola, would be considered "lightskinned/mixed race" in SUDAN...but pure black in the U.S. So the Ethiopians are not "light"--as much as they are MIXED.

And you're right. Mixed Somalis are extremely racist (often refusing to be called black, just like the Egyptians). But I still say that the Somalis are far more beautiful than the Ethiopians.

No one is more EVIL than the Half-Arab Blacks of Sudan. Not even White people.

_________

BTW--your letter on the other post was wonderfully excellent!! Thanks for sharing.

Cynnique
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nyibol??? Is "Nyibol" AfricanQueen's real name?

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 585

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, you must work for the FBI--LOL! You still outting folks and their alter egos up in here, or what?

If I didn't know better, I'd swear sometimes I was on the Hollow Deck of the star ship Enterprise, and I'm the only person talking who is real...

Kola

Post Number: 1949

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Yvette,

Cynique was asking "me" if that was Nyibol's real name.

Nyibol originally began posting here with her real name--but recently changed it to using "Africanqueen".

Because Nyibol and I are like Auntie and Niece away from the board, I forget to call her "AQ".

And Nyibol frequently outs herself, to remind people who they are talking to.

Africanqueen

Post Number: 99

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 04:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique,

Yes, I the africanqueen also use to post under Nyibol. I don't know it use to log my name in automatically when I would post but it doesn't do it anymore. I'm originally from Sudan and thank you for calling me a gracious person :-) Anyone you will run into from the part of the world I come from (Dinka tribe) is wonderful and appreciates everyone. I think we're the sweetest people in the world:-). But I also believe that when it comes to racism that we're the most hated because we have the darkest complexion out there in skin color. My gracious heart saved me, I never believed in fighting and when I fight it's usually out of love. And I think all southern Sudanese are like that.

If it wasn't for war in my country I would have never known racism exists. We never chose to mess with other people until other people messed with us.

We have been done wrong by the arabs in the north and so this caused some of us to spread out and move to other Countries. We're now all over the world. People ask me all the time why I left Sudan for America. If they already knew of the war in Sudan, I wouldn't have to explain; but nobody ever pays attention to our suffering. Thankfully, I was not in Sudan long enough to experience racism from the arabians, I know it's much worst than any other racism I've had to go through in Kenya and in the United States. Racist arabs in Sudan kill, but it's hardly in Kenya or the U.S that a black Sudanese would be killed because of skin color. Instead, I've been murdered with words and that's still as painful as death, but I'm still here.

Kola,

I know I'm wrong. You have travelled allot so you know more information about Africa than I do so I would agree. I've never seen a white Sudanese man in my life. I've seen people your skin color and that's all I've known as arab.

I do believe you when you say that black people are kept shut down under their roof and aren't allowed to experience modern culture as acting and becoming musicians, stuff like that. The black race in America is just an example of this.. they all complain Alek Wek is a model because of her skin color. That's just sad and I understand where you're coming from when you complain about these things.

Africanqueen

Post Number: 100

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 05:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Cynnique,

It just makes me sick people continue to brag about color, it's driving me insane. I get angry when I'm looked down upon when it comes to skin color.

It got to me a little bit when you said that Jolie might have been color-concious. I'm sure if the reason for her choosing this child was because of color, then I don't think she has really seen suffering since Kola said that only light skinned people are chosen to come to the United States in Ethiopia. But I would also agree with her because I've never really heard of an adopted black child. Although, if this was the case, wouldn't this child have been living a good life, since light skinned Ethiopians have better lives? Would it really be necessary to put a child up for adoption when its country is healthy?

And why would a white woman care wether the child is light or dark. I mean white people think of black people and anyone who isn't white, "color".

Anonymous
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 05:42 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AQ:

I've never seen a white Sudanese man in my life. I've seen people your skin color and that's all I've known as arab.

ME:

How do Sudanese people turn Kola's color if there's no whites?

I heard that people who get AIDS in Africa are shunned and driven out of their communities. Could that explain why such a light Ethiopian baby and her mother was in a shelter with so many black people? The baby was shockingly light compared to the people around her. How could Angelina not be colorstruck? She chose the one super-light child in the whole place and she specifically said she wanted a "sister" for her son.

Statistics show that dark black boy babies are adopted with no problem by all races of people. African female babies are almost never adopted. Look at the "Lost Boys of Sudan" movement.

There is no "Lost Girls of Sudan" movement.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 101

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 02:43 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

I was not telling Kola there's no whites in Sudan.. nor do I care how Kola turned that color. You know, that's an odd question because it's like you're telling me all Africans originate from white people or something because most of them are Kola's color. I mean I'd hate to originate from whites while at the same time they'd look down on me. Thankfully, I come from the darkest skin colored people on earth. There is no white complexion on any of us and that makes us very unique in the world and white people know this more than brown Africans. When in school most compliments of my color came from the mouth of white children while black children of America made fun of it. I just thought it was very stupid of them since they were once slaves to white people. They should appreciate blackness because I don't think they will ever be white. They may be erased into a hispanic looking type of people, but as you can see, hispanics aren't as superior as whites.

It doesn't matter to me if this child is light ok. This child has AIDS and who chooses AIDS over skin color? Jolie can do better than a child with AIDS, she could have adopted a white baby for all I care; but as I have come to realize, she has the BIGGEST heart in this entire world for adopting a child with AIDS. I am sure she wasn't thinking about skin color when she took this child, you can ask her for yourself.

I have never heard of people who are driven out of their communities because of AIDS in Africa. Give me facts and then I will believe you because I don't believe everything I hear. Could be true, but am just saying. It's like you're telling me that all the light skinned people in a group of black people in Africa have AIDS and I find that very hard to believe. And well in Africa, if you have AIDS you don't last very long like they do in the US. You would almost not be able to identify people with AIDS in this country because they live such healthy lives. In poor countries of Africa, people die from simple things as a cut.

And well, the lost boys of Sudan were not adopted. It's stupid of southern Sudanese to make up a complete lie and sell out their "lost boys" in such way.. when there really is both lost boys and girls. I'm sure that some of these lost boys have parents back in the refugee camp also. They are the future of South Sudan so some man came up with the idea of bringing them to the US to get educated and return to Sudan when there is peace to be doctors, ingeneers, electricians, etc.. I know a guy who wants to bring electricity back to South Sudan. These boys are very bright and very serious and one day you will hear about them in their country. I just wish though that they (men) supported women as much as they support themselves. Although, this has nothing to do with the light skin issue we're talking about here. This is a sexist issue. And believe me, these boys go back to the refugee camp to bring the girls back to America because they have no one to marry in the US.

Africanqueen
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 102

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 05:36 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Light skinned people may throw their AIDS infected people into the black communities, but it doesn't solve anything for them now, does it? Isn't that such primitive idea.... kind of like South Africans having sex with virgins because they thought it would put a stop to AIDS. Stupid ideas only make things worst especially if they're out for hurting other people!

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 595

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had to post this here. On another board I visit someone said they had this image of MJ's kids, Tom Cruise's son, and Angelina's kids riding around in a car as teens and being stopped by the LAPD. Incredulous, they demand of the cop "Don't you know who we are???"

I was very definitely LMAO...

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 595

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Not all white people have no compassion for other human beings."-AfricanQueen

I know this. That is why I questioned the tone/spirit in which Abm used the term 'ilk'. (btw, and I was correct--her "white" skin was included)

"What have you done to show compassion for others?"-AfricaQueen

AfricanQueen,

In my day to day life, I do various things that show I care about my fellow human(s)--that I need not go into detail about. The beauty about caring for others is that one does it out of regard for God (first)--and man/woman second. Yes, our "works" can be seen, but they are for the betterment/uplifting of others, not ourselves.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 596

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"And, oh, yeah, you can through the "White" part in too."-Abm

Yeah....I thought so.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3827

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 07:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns,

If it makes you feel better (and I think it should), I would not have made the "ilk" comment strictly on the basis of Jolie being White.

Because actually the "wealthy, pretty, famous, over-exposed/analyzed, thoroughly-a$$kissed, second-generation Oscar-winning movie stars" is to me more relevant to classifying here "ilk" than her color.

But feel free to continue to infer that I harbor some unfair prejudice, if you so choose.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 602

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Abm, while I don't consider your thinking to be malicious, I do think you're somewhat quick to buy into stereotypes.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3831

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moonsigns,

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "buy into stereotypes". But I recall your making MANY statements about men that might qualify as such.

We all have our biases. Acknowledging them don't make us "malicious". They make us human.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 605

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Abm,

You're right, I have made many statements about men that could definitely be considered bias. What can I say?!--it's a humbling moment for me. :-)

Regina
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 03:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She stole Brad

Renata
Newbie Poster
Username: Renata

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 04:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to date a Somali, and (to us anyway) they pretty much look like all other Black Americans, they just dress more conservatively. He was brown skinned, but he had a brother who was very dark skinned....but that's basically what happens in American black families.

I've met some Sudanese, and I must say that they are the most humble, sweetest people I've ever met. They don't have that old "gangsta" or "street" crap attitude that a lot of American men have.

As far as the color of Angelina's baby, until I personally go to Africa and adopt a baby (or at least try), there's not too much I can say.

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

poker casino poker 415

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com