I saw "The Color Purple" in NY....... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » The Kool Room - Hosted by Kola Boof » I saw "The Color Purple" in NY.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 735

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, The songs are wonderful (composed by my cousin Brenda Russell *total plug* ^^'), and the actors fit their roles perfectly. The stage Nettie looked a little like Akosua Busia (though it wasn't her).

Oh yeah, guess who else was in the play?

Lou Myers, a.k.a. "Mr.Gaines" on "A Different World". He played "Mr./Albert"'s father.

The play is a definite must see, especially if you are black and a woman.

Oprah did a DAMN GOOD JOB. :-)

If you get the chance to go to NY or already live there, go check it out. :-)

Mzuri
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Mzuri

Post Number: 256

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roxie. I heard they are taking the show on the road in a few months!

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 970

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roxie, do you think it will tour around the country? I doubt I would get to NYC any time soon, but I'd make the trip south to Chicago in aminute if it went there.

BTW, to my knowledge O didn't actually have anything to do with the making of it--The producer approached her (or vice versa) about adding her name after the fact. I think she is mainly providing name recognition, high profile, and moral support. ($$$ too? I dunno about that.)

You know, I know some of y'all don't care for O, but she must feel a certain vindication at this turn of events: When the movie came out, she was not considered a big enough star by Spielberg to even have her name put on the publicity poster!

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 971

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooops, Mzuri, I just read your post. You answered my question! Can't wait.

Mzuri
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Mzuri

Post Number: 257

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.colorpurple.com

Kola
Username: Kola

Post Number: 2888

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would love to see this play.

I'm so proud of everyone even remotely associated with this production. The story is truly, truly important.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com