Serena Williams poses naked for magaz... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2010 (Final) » Serena Williams poses naked for magazine cover « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Troy
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Troy

Post Number: 1981

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Troy

Post Number: 1982

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serena Hottentot with a wig.

They do anything they want to with us, huh?

Serenasailor
Username: Serenasailor

Post Number: 1933

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serena Williams is sexy as hell!! I don't care what anybody says. If Black ppl had a healthy self image of themselves we could see that Serena is the epitome of Black beauty. AGAIN!! IF BLACK PPL HAD A HEALTHY SELF IMAGE. However, we don't. So here type of beauty goes unnoticed.

Troy

Post Number: 1984

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 02:11 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serenasailor, Serena has an incredible physique - no doubt!

But did ESPN do nude covers of Justine Henin or Lindsay Davenport who they ranked #1 twice in the last five years? This is not playboy of the Sports Illustrated swinsuit issue.

Seems to me like they are treating Serena as a human curiosity rather than the tennis great she is.

Serenasailor, what do you think about Serena's hair style? Does that epitomize Black Beauty?

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Ntfs_encryption

Post Number: 3708

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 03:13 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Seems to me like they are treating Serena as a human curiosity rather than the tennis great she is."

Troy, they are treating her exactly how she wants to be treated. She agreed to this photo cover spread. It is what it is. If she has no issues with this type of thing, well, who I am (or anyone else) to second guess why she did it. She did it because she could and wanted to. Doesn't matter what the others did or did not do.

Troy

Post Number: 1986

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NTFS, I don't know man... I assume she agreed to pose nude on the cover and I trust was compensated quite handsomely for it. But that is not really my point.

Consider this; how would you feel if some magazine did a similiar cover of First Lady Michelle Obama? I suspect (or hope) you would that inappropriate; for reasons too obvious to list.

Indeed, no serious magazine would even suggest such a thing.

I see Serena in essentially the same way. She will go down in history as being one of the greatest tennis players of all time. She is a cultural icon.

Why is it acceptable for our great women to be displayed, in the nude, on the cover of a magazine in such a fashion?

Why do white magazines come it with these ideas -- I'll tell you: They are trying to sell magazines, and they do not care how we are perceived.

I know it is difficult to control how white folks view us. I'm mostly concerned how we view ourselves.

When ESPN does a nude cover of Henin or Davenport then I'll know they are soley interested in selling magazines...

SIDE BAR
Conversation overheard in an elevator at a top business school (the one I graduated attended): Student complaining about the slow pace of a course; "He is teaching us like we are a bunch of minorities". Conversation overheard by a female hispanic.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 8261

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw that magazine. She wasn't on the cover and she wasn't naked.

She can do what she likes. If she listened to me she would starve to death. I ain't got no money to give her if she gets broke.

Whatever. She has a weird build--athletic but rather hard.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 14258

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's like the cover of one of the popular fashion magazines that a couple of years ago posed a bare-chested, muscle bound, scowling LeBron James with a terrified blond model in his lift, ala King Kong and his coveted white prey. Black folks didn't even make this connection until the alert among us began to point this out.

For all of her brashness, Serena seems needy and eager to please. She's built like a brick shyt house and if she can parlay this into sexiness, I think she's fine with that.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3710

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:37 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

”NTFS, I don't know man... I assume she agreed to pose nude on the cover and I trust was compensated quite handsomely for it. But that is not really my point.”

Bro Troy, that’s the bottom line: She agreed to pose for the magazine. No one forced her to do anything against her will. It was her personal decision. Nothing else can be said….

”Consider this; how would you feel if some magazine did a similiar cover of First Lady Michelle Obama? I suspect (or hope) you would that inappropriate; for reasons too obvious to list.”

Well, fist of all, that would never happen. I’m not sure how you came up with a comparison between the First Lady and an athlete. Not sure I follow you with this comparison.

”Indeed, no serious magazine would even suggest such a thing.”

No, they wouldn’t. That’s why I find your analogy or comparison somewhat strange…..

”I see Serena in essentially the same way. She will go down in history as being one of the greatest tennis players of all time. She is a cultural icon.”

True. But you have to remember Troy, she is an individual with personal tastes, ambitions, values, needs, ego and values. Her being a sports or cultural icon has nothing to do with her personal decisions and ideas. She does what she wants. Whether it’s having outrageous temper tantrums on the court or posing nude in magazines.

”Why is it acceptable for our great women to be displayed, in the nude, on the cover of a magazine in such a fashion?”

It’s only acceptable to them and those who agree to display the photographs. You see them one way while they see themselves another. The ultimate decision is theirs and theirs alone.

”Why do white magazines come it with these ideas –“

The white magazines, as you call them, could care less what she is to anyone other than those who will buy the magazines. Being white or black is irrelevant. There are literally countless magazines posting covers and spreads of nude and semi-nude women –black and white. The magazines could careless about race politics. They are in the business of selling magazines.

For example, Flex is a hard core male body building magazine. As of late, they have section of risqué booty girls in them. Why? What did these semi-clad fitness booty girls have to do with hard core body building? Well, someone asked that question. They, like me, were wondering why are you putting booty girls in the magazine? The response was this: They said they tried the feature once as something different (since it is a male magazine). They noticed a spike in sales for that particular issue. Then they when back to the regular non-booty girl hard core body building format. Sales drifted back. When they did it again –sales went up! Guess what? Now every issue has a booty girl section. They said by doing so they had a 16-18% increase in sales. It’s strictly business.

”I'll tell you: They are trying to sell magazines,….”

Bingo!!!

”…and they do not care how we are perceived.”

Why should they? Bro Troy, you seem to be missing something. I understand your concerns about black women being posted in nude, semi-nude and other sexually suggestive presentations. But this has nothing to do with business. These decisions have nothing to do with race politics or any nefarious motives of degrading black women. As I said, there are seemingly countless magazines that feature naked and near naked black women. Why? Because there is an audience for these women. And black women and the magazine publishers are tapping into this market.

You also have to realize and accept the grueling fact that the women who pose for these magazines and videos are not made out of the same cloth as a Dorothy Height, Marian Anderson, Nancy Wilson, Constance B. Motley or Mae Jemison. The integrity, pride (both self and racial), professionalism and dignity these women had is absent in a post 1970 X-Generation of black women who have no issues nor trepidation for posing or indulging in sexually explicate material. So no, your sensitivity to these so-called race perceptions are meaningless to the publishers and the women who eagerly pose for these magazines and videos.

”I know it is difficult to control how white folks view us.

To some extent yes. But many Negroes are oblivious to the negative typecasting and stereotypes they have become encapsulated in. If they were sensitive (as you are) to these negative images and expectations, they would not continually perpetrate the worst fears and beliefs whites (and other groups) have of blacks. Yes, you have a number of whites who are going to loathe and fear you no matter what your achievements in life are. But for a large percentage, many Negroes have perfected and made a science of self-degradation and flawlessly acting out the most negative stereotypes. Sorry if this offends you but I can’t say it any other way…..

”I'm mostly concerned how we view ourselves.”

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Troy, most Negroes could care less how whites or anyone else perceives them.

”When ESPN does a nude cover of Henin or Davenport then I'll know they are solely interested in selling magazines...”

Well, if Herin or Davenport volunteers (as Serna did) for a nude photo spread, they will be more than glad to accommodate them. TRUST ME! It’s business….

”SIDE BAR -Conversation overheard in an elevator at a top business school (the one I graduated attended): Student complaining about the slow pace of a course; "He is teaching us like we are a bunch of minorities". Conversation overheard by a female hispanic.”

No surprise. Hispanics and blacks have the worst academic records and achievements (when compared to whites, Eastern Indians and Asians). So a statement like that should not come as a shock to you. And I take no glee nor pleasure in saying that. I wish it were not true but the record speaks for itself.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14265

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hummm. Two men debating the implications and ramifications of the choices black women make. Serena reinforced that image of black women being fair game for white expoitation. On this magazine cover she is, in effect, sitting on a slave block, not standing on a pedestal, - a good strong negress on display for all comers to assess. Pay your money and she is at your disposal, a captive of your imagination.

Serena is among the best in her field; this implies that she is superior. What better way to diminish her than to change her from a champion to a 'ho.

Yes, she made the choice to pose nude, to remove herself from the court and place herself in the bedroom, inadvertantly buying into the idea that what black woman are really best at is being sensual animals, not stalwart athletes.

This is all so deeply rooted in the subliminal racial dynamic of America that it can't be distilled. It is what it is. IMO.

Yvettep
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 3707

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 05:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did ESPN do nude covers of Justine Henin or Lindsay Davenport

I'm sorry: is there a public clamoring to see these two in the buff?! Serena looks fabulous. Don't know what I'd think if I were a fellow congregant in her faith--but she looks great, and looks like she feels great.

She looks like she is a Black woman who is doing what the heck she wants, not worrying about folks on the sidelines clicking their teeth and shaking their heads and clutching their pearls that she is bringing down the Black race.

Carey
Username: Carey

Post Number: 2362

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL @ "not worrying about folks on the sidelines clicking their teeth and shaking their heads and clutching their pearls that she is bringing down the Black race"

Yvettep, you, my lady, are a mess.

I wouldn't dare step in this mine field. The big hitters are out on this one. I will say, I agree and understand what Troy is saying. I believe he understands every argument against his position, and he'd probably agree with most of them. But those apposing views did not address his central point. Sure, Serena agreed to do the photo shoot, but that's not the core of his argument.

Consent does not trump the intentions of the perpetrators. Serena may be smiling but she's being used.

I'd like to see Linsey Davenport & Justine Henin in the buff. But the question is WHY?

Get it?What would be my trill/reward/intentions?

I take you back to ESPN.

Nels
Username: Nels

Post Number: 1304

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 02:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rock that booty girl. She'll phuck yo' brainz owt!

Carey

Post Number: 2366

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 07:36 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See, Nels has reduced her to a black box *lol*.

Troy

Post Number: 1991

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique your post on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:50 pm was sublime.

NTFS, I defintely have no problem with nude women on magazine covers. If it were Little Kim or Karren Steffans I would not bat an eye.

But if you put a nude photo of Althea Gibson on the cover of a magazine (today or in her day) I'd be aghast, as I am now.

Let Playboy pay Serena a million for a nude spread. That is where that belong. I appreciate ESPN may have done this out of desperation to sell magazines, but I still view it as disrespectful.

At the end of the day, NTFS, your words; "The integrity, pride (both self and racial), professionalism and dignity these women had is absent in a post 1970 X-Generation of black women who have no issues nor trepidation for posing or indulging in sexually explicate material." may, sadly, be on point.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3716

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

”She looks like she is a Black woman who is doing what the heck she wants, not worrying about folks on the sidelines clicking their teeth and shaking their heads and clutching their pearls that she is bringing down the Black race.”

Thank you again Ms. Yvette. On the money! Negroes will always defect and blame others for the behavior and decisions that other Negroes make of their own free will. Serena is a grown woman who decided to take off her clothes. There was no NSA/CIA/FBI/KKK/GOP/We Hate Ni@#ers Inc conference that secretly conspired to dupe Serena in hopes of embarrassing black people with a nude spread that countless other black women have been eagerly and willingly doing. Her decision to pose has nothing to do with Negroes and their persecution race fantasies. She did what she did because she wanted to. Negroes hypersensitivity has no relevance nor impact. Subject closed…..

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3717

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"NTFS, I defintely have no problem with nude women on magazine covers. If it were Little Kim or Karren Steffans I would not bat an eye.

But if you put a nude photo of Althea Gibson on the cover of a magazine (today or in her day) I'd be......

......done this out of desperation to sell magazines, but I still view it as disrespectful."

Ok...Ok...That was well stated bro Troy. I respect your sentiments.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14273

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black woman have always been free to flaunt their sexuality. They don't deserve points for doing this. What they should earn credit for is stimulating the intellect rather than the libido.

Some times what people think is a decision spawned by free will, is really a choice that has accomodated expectations.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3718

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Black woman have always been free to flaunt their sexuality. They don't deserve points for doing this. What they should earn credit for is stimulating the intellect rather than the libido."

Agreed. But unfortunately, no enough of the them realize this.....

"Some times what people think is a decision spawned by free will, is really a choice that has accomodated expectations."

True again. But regardless, it is they who ultimately make the decision. Goes back to free will.....

Mosaicbooks
Newbie Poster
Username: Mosaicbooks

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 06:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could be baby oil for a day.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3709

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 07:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL @ Mosaicbooks! Serena does look like she used a whole crate of oil for that shoot. And just think: it was someone's job to rub more on her between shots... ;-)

Yvettep

Post Number: 3710

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 08:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look, all: sports always has at its core a certain eroticism. Maybe that stems from when the ancient Greeks held sporting events in the raw, I don't know. But you listen to any sportscaster talk about any athlete and there is a lot of focus on their bodies, build, power, grace, etc. I do not in the least fault athletes who take it to the next level and intentionally turn themselves into sex symbols. There are few professions where your professional life is so short: Why shouldn't people try to extend their reach into other areas?

I wonder: the people who are rushing to Serena's defense now and being offended and feeling she was being disrespected following this cover--did they also rush to her defense when a Black male sportswriter was recently clearly disrespecting her in print, or when people were calling her all sorts of names following her recent outburst during a match?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14278

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, athletes are free to do whatever they want to do. Champions usually opt for endorsements and strive for a wholesome image because whether they want to be or not, they are role models for young people. By making herself a sex object, Serena not only does a disservice to black women but to all women. BTW, have there been any black male athletes who have appeared naked on a magazine??? No, they do their part to uphold preconceived notions by carrying guns and beating up their women and torturing dogs.

When Serena, in her natural surroundings, stood on the court and vented her rage at what she thought was a bad call, black folks supported her for expressing her resentment. Now white folks are back in control, offering her a venue to show that, when all is said and done, she really is just another "sportin momma".

Actually, this is not a subject I'm that passionate about but I can see how some could be disappointed and offended by this magazine cover.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3712

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 07:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By making herself a sex object, Serena not only does a disservice to black women but to all women.

Any woman who feels that way should speak for themselves. I do not feel like she did me a disservice. Go on, Serena, with your bad self! :-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14281

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 09:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep. Nobody is really that concerned with Feminist issues any more. Most woman probably concur with the idea that if all else fails, do your thing and take off your clothes.

Michelle Obama may be next.

Troy

Post Number: 1995

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There does not seem to be any disagreement about Serena's freedom to do the nude cover. She is free to do what she wants.

There is disagreement over whether the photo is appropriate. This illustrates one of our biggest problems. There are NO standards of behavior, no rules, societal mores are nonexisitent. People are "free" do do whatever they want, whenever they want.

It is to the point we don't even recognize when were are being disrespected. Indeed, in our ignorance, we applaud it.

You know, all this starts somewhere: The lyrics to some of our rap music that is played on the radio is more obscene than a the old Richard pryor LPs we used to hide to listen to...

A few years from now we'll be arguing whether it is "appropriate" for our tennis stars shown on a magazine cover doing obscene things with a tennis raquet.

Carey

Post Number: 2375

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen Troy.... AMEN!

There is a thing called free will, but it seems to be moving in the wrong direction with the blessing of those that voice the biggest opposition against it.

Yeah, do your thang baby, nobody is looking except those behind you.

As long as both parties agree, it shouldn't be a concern of anyone else - right? WRONG!

Serena agreed to the shoot, so hey, it's her business - right? WRONG!

Give me a freakin' break.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3723

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 04:39 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

”There is disagreement over whether the photo is appropriate. This illustrates one of our biggest problems. There are NO standards of behavior, no rules, societal mores are nonexisitent. People are "free" do do whatever they want, whenever they want.”

Bro Troy, I agree with this. But you seemed to have interjected a race element into the discussion of this photo session. This I disagreed with. Unlike countless other women, both white and black -Serena does not need the exposure these women seek. She is an internationally recognized person. She does not need the money. The woman is not short on cash. I’m sure she has enough to buy just about anything she wants. And there was no nefarious race conspiracy for her to take off her clothes. SHE DID WHAT SHE DID BECAUSE SHE COULD AND WANTED TO!

If you object to nudity, booty mags and videos, well, I can understand your moral objections. I personally don’t have issue with that. And I’m not suggesting just because a person wants to do something, it should be above question simply because they have a right to do it. For example, I have an extreme revulsion for those pathetic rap/hip hop coon videos and lyrics. I think the images they project of black women is racist and degrading. The Serena photos do not approach such crass vulgarity and simple mindedness.No comparison can intelligently be made between the cheap coonery of those videos and what Serena agreed to.

Did More Demi Moore disgrace or humiliate white women when she posed nude and pregnant on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine in August of 1991? A pregnant Christina Aguilera also posed nude for Marie Claire magazine. Actress Tara Reid agreed to pose nude for Playboy last month. And who could be more shameless in their self degrading quest for the title of The Ultimate Queen Hoochie than Nicole Coco Austin (who I just happen to like)? The list goes on. And race has absolutely nothing to with it.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3724

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 04:41 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"There is a thing called free will, but it seems to be moving in the wrong direction with the blessing of those that voice the biggest opposition against it."

Yvettep

Post Number: 3713

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 07:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is to the point we don't even recognize when were are being disrespected. Indeed, in our ignorance, we applaud it.

This is the point where, once again, I must ask someone to "speak for yourself." Personally I am perfectly capable of recognizing and analyzing (sometimes to the extreme, thanks to too much education) when I am being disrespected. I can also recognize when we are reacting in such a way that reveals our embarrassment, our discomfort with sexuality--and (more importantly) with sexuality that is deemed to be on display "for White people."

The fact that you equate this magazine cover with explicit rap lyrics, then try to say that this is yet an early step to players "doing obscene things with a tennis racket" shows, IMO, your mindset on this issue. Serena's image on that magazine is a healthy, non-"obscene" display of her body. It is no more revealing than half of the garb you will see women (and many men) dressed in in the summer time. Yet she is bringing shame on and disrespect to the Black race?

I think that we are so used to knee jerk reactions against stuff like this that we really cannot see when we Black women are being disrespected. A man living in a neighborhood where he can capture, brutalize, and murder a dozen Black women without authorities (or Black "leaders") batting an eye: That is disrespect to Black women. A famous R&B star who is well known for his dalliances with under- and barely-aged young women--and who gets caught on tape doing all sort of things with one of them, but who not only gets off legally, but appears to suffer little backlash from the Black community (including many of its women): That is disrespect.

Heck, a good fourth of the books advertised on this very site could probably fall on the category of "disrespectful to Black women." But there are complaints about the Serena Williams cover?

"The Black community" has always been marked by a strange extreme regarding sexuality: those who are (or are perceived to be) loose with theirs, resulting in, for example, out of wedlock births and sexually transmitted diseases, and those who are prudish and often repressive about sexuality. The latter group has often included those who wish to be some sort of arbiter for what is considered "appropriate" and "proper." Again--this group has especially been concerned with this when White judgment might be possible.

I totally agree with the point NTSF was making above when he asked, "Did More Demi Moore disgrace or humiliate white women when she posed nude and pregnant on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine in August of 1991?" The answer, of course, is no. No more than Serena Williams or the editors at ESPN have disgraced or humiliated me, as a Black woman.

Carey

Post Number: 2376

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 08:24 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If you object to nudity, booty mags and videos, well, I can understand your moral objections. I personally don’t have issue with that"

Come on Ntsf, you spinning this. It's not about nudity. It's about nudity in it's proper place.

"I totally agree with the point NTSF was making above when he asked, "Did More Demi Moore disgrace or humiliate white women when she posed nude and pregnant on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine in August of 1991?" The answer, of course, is no. No more than Serena Williams or the editors at ESPN have disgraced or humiliated me, as a Black woman"

"Did More Demi Moore disgrace or humiliate white women when she posed nude and pregnant on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine in August of 1991? A pregnant Christina Aguilera also posed nude for Marie Claire magazine. Actress Tara Reid agreed to pose nude for Playboy last month"

Here's the missing element. Those woman's commodity IS there bodies. Their visual image is what they are selling.

Yvettep, you'll have to help me out. Give me a situation in which you would feel disrespected by the actions of another person or persons. You seem to be implying that the behavior of another black woman has no effect on you.

Troy

Post Number: 1996

Rating: 
Votes: 5 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 09:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NTFS, I injected race into the issue because I believe race certainly played a factor in how we are portrayed in the media -- including the Serena shoot.

NTFS, just because Serena was not "forced" to do it does not mean that it was right. I done things that were motivated by factors outside my control or even consciousness; things that were not in my best interest or even harmful - we all have.

Depending upon what it was, and my stage of development, I might have been ready to argue with anyone "pompous/self-righteous/prudish" enough to point out a problem in my behavior.

Then again in a world where anything goes and nothing is open to criticism, everything is potentially acceptable.

There is a time and place for everything. Again, if you understand my Althea Gibson / Serena Williams analogy, you understand my point.

Yvettep, on one hand you chastise folks to "speak for yourself", but then go on to make sweeping generalizations about whole categories of people; "The Black community", “Black leaders" and the like. This dichotomy is astonishing.

Indeed, you even feel comfortable speaking for “white women” with regard to the Demi Moore photo.
When, in fact, a simple google query will yield tons of articles showing just how very controversial the Demi Moore cover was… many retailers were pressured into removing the magazine from stores – white folks went ballistic!

In fact the reaction to Demi Moore’ cover was far more heated than the Serena Williams cover. That by itself is telling…

Yvettep all the other stuff you implied about R. Kelly, and the others are certainly more egregious examples of disrespect, and pales in comparison to the Serena cover. However that does not mean the Serena cover was not in poor taste.

Your statement about books advertised on AALBC.com, is pure hyperbole. Basically all of the book covers on the homepage are advertisements. You say; …a good fourth of the books advertised on this very site could probably fall on the category of "disrespectful to Black women.". I challenge you to find one (1) cover more disrespectful.

At the end of the day, we have no defined standards of behavior. We used to get upset when teachers made us take off our hats off in the classroom. Today teachers have to fight with children to pull their pants up over their drawers.

Photographed by Brigitte Lacombe in Brooklyn, one week after winning Wimbledon

Yvettep

Post Number: 3714

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Troy, there is a reason I put words like Black community in quotes: Any time we make such sweeping comments about whole classes of diverse people, we are making errors about large segments of them.

My point about Demi Moore stands: White women did not feel she was disgracing White women with her cover. Plenty of folks, however, did have problems with her display of sexuality. Like you, they thought there was a "time and place" for that and they did not believe pregnancy fit with that. Apparently when women are with children, they should put on large frocks with gigantic bows and become something more acceptable to folks' delicate sensibilities.

It is interesting that you post another gorgeous photo from that shoot. How anyone could look at that and say iti s in "poor taste" is beyond me. But to each his or her own.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3715

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:06 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the books, I said nothing of the covers, but the books themselves: the themes, plot lines, characters, etc. Sure, I was still mainly making a point. The figure is likely no where near "a fourth." The main thing is that I do not go off every time I read a plot description that shows Black women in a negative, stereotypical light. I choose, simply, to not purchase or read those books.

Bottom line, however: This is your business, and I should not have injected the example of AALBC. I do apologize for that, Troy.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3716

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the end of the day, we have no defined standards of behavior. We used to get upset when teachers made us take off our hats off in the classroom. Today teachers have to fight with children to pull their pants up over their drawers.

That is a good topic. I would likely not disagree with you on most of these points. However, where I differ is that I do not see the Serena cover and some people's support of it as further evidence of this state of affairs.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3717

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those woman's commodity IS there bodies.

As is Serena's, Carey. And Joseph Addai. And Dereck Jeter. Name me one athlete who is *not* making their living off of their body.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3718

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give me a situation in which you would feel disrespected by the actions of another person or persons.

I provided two examples in my post from earlier this morning.

In general, however, I will say that I do not need men telling me when I should feel disrespected. I am capable of making that determination on my own. I have no problems with your feeling put out by the cover. I'll debate it, but I have no problem with it. What I do have problems with are men who feel they know what's best for women.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 8280

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In general, however, I will say that I do not need men telling me when I should feel disrespected etc.

(FINALLY! I was wondering when you were going to stand up for womanhood!

Jesus, you can take me home. My work is done)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14282

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Huuummm. Is it about Serena choosing to pose nude, or is it about it's about a white magazine choosing to ask her to pose nude.

If Serena didn't look like she does, she wouldn't have been put at the behest of white men with ulterior motives. I'll bet Venus with her slim athletic body wasn't approached for this assignment. Obviously, Serena was viewed as a cash "cow".

Whether it's true or not, people are "free" to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, and Chocolate Serena is free to show off her thick body replete with its big azz and voluptuous tits but is it a excusable???

Yes, male athletes use their bodies in the process of plying their trade. But their physiques are not a "cosmetic commodity". I hear tell that they don't even want woman in their locker rooms looking at them.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14284

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yvette writes:

"The Black community" has always been marked by a strange extreme regarding sexuality: those who are (or are perceived to be) loose with theirs, resulting in, for example, out of wedlock births and sexually transmitted diseases, and those who are prudish and often repressive about sexuality. The latter group has often included those who wish to be some sort of arbiter for what is considered "appropriate" and "proper." Again--this group has especially been concerned with this when White judgment might be possible.

Cynique responds: In my ring-side seat at the Chicagoland arena, I am a self-appointed arbitrator in my criticism of the wanton reproductive habits of underclass Blacks, not because I worry about what white people think. But because an epidemic of babies having babies as if this is some kind of a customary rite of passage is counter-productive - self destructive, a matrix that spawns the tragedies played out every day on the streets of the hood, fatherless black boys killing other fatherless black boys! White folks don't give a damn about this; they profit from all the social programs catering to the plight of babies mommas deserted by babies daddies, while those who choose to accept responsibilitis are ridiculed and left uncompensated for not doing what others are reward for.

As for R. Kelly, I'm sure there's a correlation between his and Serena's supporters just as there is probably one between his critics and Serena's. But since R. Kelly was doing his consensual thing, exercising his free choice to screw young girls, what's the big deal?

Yvettep

Post Number: 3719

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With R. Kelly the issue is not whether he was "doing his consensual thing," but whether it can be said the the young women were. If he wanted to pose nude for a magazine, that would be his business.

The issue as it has been presented here concerns what is proper/disrespectful/appropriate for Black women specifically. Opinions about what Black men do to "bring down the race" or besmirch "Black manhood" is another whole topic.

I find absolutely no correlation between those who would support what he did with those (like myself) who support Serena's choice. None whatsoever.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3720

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, re: the Black male athletes--What about the ones who posed for this same photo shoot?

Yvettep

Post Number: 3721

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, do I take that to mean you are done posting? :-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14286

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think any of those R Kelly groupies would have a problem with Serena's magazine cover. And I know nobody who disapproves of Serena's cover would approve of R Kelly's behavior.

Yvette says: "With R. Kelly the issue is not whether he was "doing his consensual thing," but whether it can be said the the young women were."

Cynique says: RKelly was not accused of rape. Like Serena, apparently these young women exercised their free will and went along with RKelly's exploitation, thinking this was their own idea.

Carey

Post Number: 2377

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"As is Serena's, Carey. And Joseph Addai. And Dereck Jeter. Name me one athlete who is *not* making their living off of their body."

No Yvettep, you flipped the script. The issue is females that make a living (primarily) off their looks. We're talking Nudity here babe, prime time-black-female-atheletes. Don't get it twisted, or try to twist it. Remember, you mentioned white females that, YOU thought didn't received the negative responses behind their nude photos, as Serena has.

"I provided two examples in my post from earlier this morning"

Yeah, I saw that after I posted my question - sorry.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14287

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:23 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know the black male athletes posed nude, too, for the cover. I'm sure gay men appreciated this.

Yvette says: "The issue as it has been presented here concerns what is proper/disrespectful/appropriate for Black women specifically. Opinions about what Black men do to "bring down the race" or besmirch "Black manhood" is another whole topic."

Cynique responds: Is it? Wouldn't that mean you're applying a double standard? To me, the controversy is about black champions turning to something other than their skills to gain attention, simply because they want to.

Carey

Post Number: 2378

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Btw Yvettep, if you are going to use an example of a popular male athelete, use a player that is popular and not one from an over the hill Midwestern Football Team. Who is this Bofish Naddai? :-)

Yvettep

Post Number: 3722

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, well like many instances on a discussion board, a lot of topics are being focused on at once. In my comment I said that *opinions* about Black men being disrespected and improper are another issue. What I try not to do is to tell Black men what they should be offended by. I try to apply the same standard in not presuming what they should find offensive. In no way am I 100% successful in this. In fact, I am sure someone could find plenty of examples where I am telling other Black women what they should find offense at.

I didn't know the black male athletes posed nude, too, for the cover. I'm sure gay men appreciated this.

I'm sure not just gay men. ;-) But it is interesting you say that. I think part of the issue with some straight men is that they are uncomfortable with anything that brings to mind sexuality with their sporting. They do not want to think about how much watching sports is about watching bodies--bodies performing expertly in the accomplishment of athletic pursuits--but bodies just the same.

Carey, see above. No, I did not flip the script. You mentioned bodies, and this ESPN mag was the "body" issue, and Serena (and others) are photographed showing off their bodies...

Carey

Post Number: 2379

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the end, it's just my opinion.

As you mentioned, there's many threads to this issue. I did a post to see what others thought. It's not the type of post I usually do, so I'm curious to see who, if anyone, comments.

Troy

Post Number: 1997

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yvettep, you are missing my point. I have no problem with the photo in and of itself. I have a problem with a "our" tennis great naked on the cover of a sports magazine. A magazine that does not have a track record of displaying their other number #1 athletes in the buff.

Yvettep, my chalenge still stands regarding the contents of an advertised book. No need to apologize, no offense was taken :-)

Chrishadyen Quote: "Jesus, you can take me home. My work is done" LOL! I have to use that one!

Cynique, in the few short years of my life. I've seen a time when pregnant teenagers were sent "down south", in shame and secrecy, to deliver their babies.

Today the little darlings have baby showers and walk around proudly, sometimes unsure of the identity of the father and certainly not married. God forbid someone imply something is wrong with that scenario.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster
Username: Robynmarie

Post Number: 935

Rating: 

Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 09:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serena's photo is part of "The Body" series ESPN dreamt up that also featured b-baller Dwight (yum) Howard.

Serena understands that tennis is a finite pursuit and she will not always be the number one player in the world. (with the body to match.)

In the meantime, she's branching out, she is writing, she opened a couple of schools in Africa and is hocking her jewelry on HSN. Serena has said more than once she does not intend to be like so many of our black jocks: poor, broke and lonely.

Serena rocks.

Troy

Post Number: 2002

Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are y'all finding these shots? Would someone please dig up a white female athlete (preferably a blonde with big knockers, and a booty to match).

OK maybe I should have left the last bit off; but hey you start putting naked bodies out there base comments and thoughts are a natural consequence.

Also if one is able to find a naked white woman, I'll be satisfied ESPN is indeed an equal opportunity exploiter.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 936

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several nude white women in the ESPN "Body" issue. I think one is a skiier. I will try to find.

Serena is the most famous women athlete in the world, black or white. We should be giving her props for all she has accomphlished against great odds. She is more Madonna, than Michelle Obama.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14297

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the 2 white female models is a little-heard-of athlete who has an amputated leg. That was why she made the cut, I guess. (no pun intended)

IMO, Serena lapsed into narcissism in making this move. That's the message she inadvertantly sent. Look at me. I want attention because the white tennis community doesn't really give me my props. They are luke warm when it comes to rooting for me. So they can kiss the ass I'm baring.

Wonder if her blurb in the tennis hall of fame will mention her posing nude.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3738

Rating: 

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

”NTFS, I injected race into the issue because I believe race certainly played a factor in how we are portrayed in the media -- including the Serena shoot.

I understand your concerns. But race had nothing to do with the Serena shoot. She is a high profile individual. That’s what makes sales. Sorry Troy, but your conspiracy intuition that she was deliberately picked to degrade black people is a stretch. White women are constantly being photographed in the nude in just about every aspect of the media. Are they being selected with the intent of embarrassing white people? Besides, I saw nothing wrong with the photos. There were no gapping bent over beaver shots or graphically sexual imagery. NUDE WOMEN (OF ALL RACES) ARE PROBABLY THE NUMBER ONE GUARANTEED SELLING ENTITY. I really cannot understand your objections.

”NTFS, just because Serena was not "forced" to do it does not mean that it was right.”

Right??!! Uhhhhh…..Troy, I’m afraid you’ve really lost me on this one. What does “right” have to do with her decision? And please explain why it was “wrong” (if this is what you believe).

I done things that were motivated by factors outside my control or even consciousness; things that were not in my best interest or even harmful - we all have.

Agreed. So have I. But what does this have to do with Serena? What has she done that is not in her best interest or that was harmful? Details please….

Then again in a world where anything goes and nothing is open to criticism, everything is potentially acceptable.

That’s not completely true. Many things and behavior are questioned and criticized every single day. For example, just take a look at FOX Channel news and Obama…..

”Indeed, you even feel comfortable speaking for “white women” with regard to the Demi Moore photo.”

I don’t believe she was attempting to speak for white women Troy. She was speaking as a “woman”. Demi Moore’s race was never in question –it was the pregnant nudity. Race was irrelevant (just as it is with Serena).

”When, in fact, a simple google query will yield tons of articles showing just how very controversial the Demi Moore cover was… many retailers were pressured into removing the magazine from stores – white folks went ballistic!

True. But once again –race had nothing to do with it! There was not one critical comment or suggestion that she was humiliating the white race or white women! You’re the first one I have heard who interjected the race element in Moore’s photos. I’ve heard no one else mention race.

”In fact the reaction to Demi Moore’ cover was far more heated than the Serena Williams cover. That by itself is telling…”

Telling of what??? That some people object to nude women? You forget that there was just as much support and acceptance of the photo shoot as was criticism. And you fail to see that race had nothing to do with it –it was nudity!!! Not race or silly white woman humiliation blather.

”However that does not mean the Serena cover was not in poor taste.”

Are you suggesting that it was in poor taste? How? Please give specific examples of poor taste. I would love to entertain your examples....

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3739

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 05:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Serena is the most famous women athlete in the world, black or white. We should be giving her props for all she has accomphlished against great odds. She is more Madonna, than Michelle Obama."

Agreed. Case closed.....

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14299

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 07:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not agree that race can be totally ruled out when it comes to this subject.

Serena has repeatedly complained about the subtle racism she has encountered in the tennis world, - racism that is the result of her being black. So she had to be thinking that accomodating a request to pose nude was a way to thumb her nose at her inappreciative white detractors. This is a mind-set she would not have if she wasn't black.

The magazine cover may not have been a conscious conspiracy on the part of ESPN but it was an idea motivated by the pre-conceived notion about black women being "brazen hussies", a notion that would further foster an assumption that if pictures of naked white non-entities sell magazines, just think how much can be made from a nude cover featuring a famous woman who is not only voluptuous but who is also - black! A triple treat. Man! "Have our people call Selena Williams' people."

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3740

Rating: 
Votes: 6 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 01:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

”I do not agree that race can be totally ruled out when it comes to this subject.
Serena has repeatedly complained about the subtle racism she has encountered in the tennis world, - racism that is the result of her being black.”

I’m not surprised. That sounds reasonable since she is in an elite and exclusively white dominated sport. I wouldn’t question her word about her experiences for one second…..

”So she had to be thinking that accommodating a request to pose nude was a way to thumb her nose at her inappreciative white detractors.”

Could be. But that’s purely speculation and conjecture. There is no proof of this. None of us can access her personal thoughts or motivations.

”This is a mind-set she would not have if she wasn't black.

If what you suggested was true, yes, this would be the case. But once again -you don’t know that. It’s still speculation and conjecture. There is no documented proof of this since no one can read her mind nor has anyone said they heard her say such.

”The magazine cover may not have been a conscious conspiracy on the part of ESPN…”

I’m sure it wasn’t. But as I stated before, Serena is a very high profile sports figure. People like her are good for sales. Her being black is irrelevant. Any high profile female athlete would receive the same approval for a nude cover.

”…… but it was an idea motivated by the pre-conceived notion about black women being "brazen hussies", a notion that would further foster an assumption that if pictures of naked white non-entities sell magazines,……”

Once again Ms. Cynique, you are making assumptions. There is no verifiable proof or documentation to support the belief that the ESPN big bubba’s said, “Hey, she’s black and famous with a big booty. Let’s put her on the cover! People like to see lascivious black booties and black women in slutty imagery. It’ll be controversial but sell like hot cakes. Let’s do it!” How can you prove that was the driving mindset? And for the record, white women are the driving force in nudity and sex material –not black women.

I can understand your sensitivity for black women being portrayed in unflattering circumstances and images. I share the same sensitivities. That is why I detest those self-degrading coonish hip hop/rap videos that portray black women as mindless booty shaking bimbos. But I don’t believe ESPN is any where near the shameless self serving exploitive antics of the hip hop/rap industry.

” ….just think how much can be made from a nude cover featuring a famous woman who is not only voluptuous but who is also - black! A triple treat. Man!”

Ok. But outside of you believing this, what other evidence do you have that those were the thoughts or motives of the people at ESPN who made the decision to shoot these photographs of Serena? We don’t know this. And to second guess their thoughts or motives is once again, speculation and conjecture.

I know as a black women there are sensitivities in this issue that may affect you. I totally understand this. Trust me. But there is no proof that ESPN consciously conspired with deliberate intent to seek out Serena for a nude photo session because (and only because) she is black. If Crisite Kerr or Michele Wie wanted to pose nude for ESPN magazine (or any other publication), I’m sure they would not tell them no because “we’re only interested in shooting naked black women”. They too would be on the cover just as any other world class female athlete. Serena wanted and consented to being photographed naked. No disrespect Ms. Chinque, but I really can’t buy into this “they did it because she’s black!”

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14303

Rating: 

Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are speculating, too, NTFS, because you are giving white people the benefit of the doubt, naively assuming that they are color blind. Black skin is not invisible.

Yes, white women may be the driving force behind nudie magazines but ESPN is a mainstream publication, and I remind you that I did not say Serena's being black was the sole reason for her being asked to pose for its cover. I said that her color was the extra-added incentive. I am not saying that Serena's decision to do this cover was not her own. I am saying that she has no control over what her color motivates white people to ask of her.

I am not making these observations as a miltant feminist or a paranoid black person who thinks The Man is secluded somewhere in a secret location diabolically plotting ways to thwart and degrade black people.

As a someone who is not deluded enough to think race doesn't make a difference, what I am simply saying is that in America, race does matter. In all walks of life.

Troy

Post Number: 2003

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NTFS the word "conspiracy" that you chose to associate with my words is misleading. I do not, in this case, believe there was a cabal of white racists sitting in a smoke filled room conspiring to destroy the Black race; and deciding one way to do accomplish this goal would be to put Serena's naked body on the cover of a magazine.

All I’m saying is that Black people (and women in general) are treated very differently than white men. That difference in treatment is not to our advantage. This difference in treatment is so pervasive and deeply rooted in our society is that it goes unnoticed by the white folks who perpetrate the disses. Indeed white folks often wonder, astonishingly, what OUR problem is when we react with an appropriate response.

More troubling is that often Black folks in our pathological need to see a color blind society, bend over backwards making excuses for these constant slights and these daily degradations from the majority.

NTFS consider this: What would you think if there was a photo of a naked Tiger Woods on the cover on a golfing magazine? Do you think it is likely we see a naked photo of Roger Federer (the #1 ranked player in the world 4 of the last 5 years) on the cover of ESPN’s cover.

Suffice it to say that the reason we will not likely see naked photos of Justine Henin, Tiger Woods or Roger Federer is the same reason we will usually see them of the likes of a Serena Williams. No conspiracy, just the American way.

Carey

Post Number: 2399

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn Troy, that was good. You killed that one.

I hear you. There may not be a conspiracy, but no one can deny the American way. If they do, they are denying history and then...

"More troubling is that often Black folks in our pathological need to see a color blind society, bend over backwards making excuses for these constant slights and these daily degradations from the majority"

Troy, you are my hero.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3728

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 01:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do you see support for the ESPN cover as a "pathology of colorblindness"? That is your choice to describe it as such. I do not think you will find any hint of colorblindness in my comments about the cover. It's wild we're still talking about this cover after so many posts!

Maybe I'll have more to say about this later, probably on a whole new thread...

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Abm

Post Number: 10424

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 02:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serena's accomplishments as an athlete are to be lauded. And I regret the burgeoning sexualization (and near-PORNIFICATION) of ALL facets of American life and culture.

But I have grown weary of our expecting every great Black athlete (and entertainer) to be some impossibly flawless standard bearer of any/everything that promotes some (alleged) best interests of Black people.

Serena has just as much right to do WTF she wants to do with her likeness and image as any other person, regardless of sex, race, etc. And even if that amounts to her making a dayam fool of herself, that is HER choice, business and LIFE to do as she chooses.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14304

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 03:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And black fans who have supported Serena and had her back in her ongoing struggle against racism have just as much right to criticize her if they think she has tainted the image they have tried to help her maintain.

Nobody's saying she can't do what she wants to do. But it works both ways. Her critics can say what they want to say about her doing what she wants to do. She's obviously not sacrosanct.

2 Questions: who do y'all think originated the suggestive saying fraught with sexual innuendo that declares: "once you go black you don't go back"?

And would the the southern senator who yelled "You Lie" when Obama was giving his state of the union speech, have done this to a white president.

Yvettep

Post Number: 3729

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 05:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And black fans who have supported Serena and had her back in her ongoing struggle against racism have just as much right to criticize her if they think she has tainted the image they have tried to help her maintain.

I never meant to imply that folks should not be critical. Surely my history on this board reveals I am not against critique. I should have been more expansive with that post: When I said it's wild we are still talking about this cover what I meant was this:

The board as of late has been pretty quiet. The thread itself seemed to have died down, but the topic was then re-ignitied. (Hi Robynmarie! And thanks for the additional image!) Then the whole conversation got started all over again.

Very interesting, in the way that these on-line conversations so often are.

But criticize away. And others will criticize the criticism. And so on, and so on....

Yvettep

Post Number: 3730

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 05:41 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Troy:

More troubling is that often Black folks in our pathological need to see a color blind society, bend over backwards making excuses for these constant slights and these daily degradations from the majority.

Cynique:

would the the southern senator who yelled "You Lie" when Obama was giving his state of the union speech, have done this to a white president

There will always be those who call you out of your name. There will always be those who try to degrade and diminish you. We cannot wait to be ourselves until White people stop hating us. Regardless of what "they" try to call us, what will "we" answer to?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14305

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 07:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Actions speak louder than words". If our actions coincide with the prejudiced beliefs of white people, then what they believe is proven.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 937

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because we are more used to seeing black female athletes like the great Jackie Joyner Kersee, who happens to be low key, Serena is a shock to the system. Serena is one of a kind, she did not break the mold of women athletes, she blew it up.

BTW, this is not the first time Serena has posed nude. She and other female athletes did it back in 2007 to highlight the fight against breast cancer.

Posing nude (with her privates discretely hidden) in no way diminishes Serena's greatness.

Serena has traveled the world as a wonderful representaion of black people in general and black women in particular.

Tennis has taken her to places where folks have never actually seen a black person let alone interacted with people who look like us.

She is powerful, intelligent, talented, explosive, speaks three different languages, gives liberally to charity, and is in your face about it. Pisses folks off. LOL

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 938

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Yvettep-

I was hoping Derek Jeter was asked to pose for "The Body" issue too. No luck. LOL

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14309

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Yvette has cautioned us, Robynnmarie, people should speak for themselves when making broad statements. I don't consider Serena a role model who represents me as a black woman. As far as I'm concerned, she's a helluva tennis player who is also a sore loser, as specifically evidenced by how she pouted when her sister beat her at Wimbleton last year. She is also an exhibitionist who displays her very ample body in bizarre tennis get-ups, topping all of this by posing nude.

Yes, she'a a free spirit, and good for her. But to me, unlike Venus, she lacks class. She's a winner but not a "champion". Sorry. That's my opinion. I'm old school. Take it or leave it.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 939

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whether we like it or not Serena represents black women to people who know nothing about us personally.

Both she and her sister Vee often get more respect overseas than they do in the U.S.

Serena is a winner, champion and legend

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 10427

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 02:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serena has achieved athletic greatness that very FEW who ever live will share. Until just recently, she had done such with scantly any controversy regarding her behavior on or away from the tennis court. And when you consider where she (and Venus) come from, when you consider she does NOT have the background (including SKINCOLOR) that typically accompanies winning Grand Slam Tennis tournaments, it is easy to see why MANY Black foks would choose to view her to be some shining example of Black womanhood.

But just how PERFECT can any human being be? Especially one who is herself still very young and impressionable? Who is still discovering who and what she is and wants to be?

Is it fair or appropriate to make Serena the living symbol of EVERYTHING Black women should do and be?

I don't think so.

Which of US could and would bear such a burden, especially in this day and time when we are compelled to be individual and original, to take chances...to be FREE?

I would tell young Black female admirers of Serena that it is perfectly okay to admire what she has achieved and (for the most part) how she has managed to do such. But just because she is to be admired for some things does NOT necessarily mean that she (or anyone ELSE) should be admired for EVERYTHING.

And I would tell those young Black sistas the only PERFECT role model they will ever have a chance of encountering is the one they make for and of THEMSELVES.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 940

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 02:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In an ideal world Abm, I agree with everything you say. However, in a time with precious (no pun intended) few positive AA female role models, Serena and Venus are as good as it gets.

As you can probably tell I am a huge fan of both sisters. Not only because they grew up not far from me but because they have traveled the world, are attractive and intelligent, physically fit and close to their father.

When too many black kids have never been outside of their own neighborhoods, think they will not live to be 20 and long for a positive male in their lives, the Williams sisters represent a whole world of possibilities, imo.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 10429

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 03:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robynmarie,

I mostly agree with you. My point is that while the Williams sisters have achieved things that are worthy of admiration that does not mean that EVERYTHING they have done and will do qualifies as such. And we do Serena, Venus, ourselves and our young a great disservice via expecting and declaring otherwise.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14313

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IMO, it's not about what Serena "isn't" and what should not be expected of her. It's about what she "is" and how this is viewed.

Criticism comes with the territory of being a high profile celebrity. In this society, for people to disapprove of Serena's public display of nudity does not make them guilty of setting their demands on her too high. Negative reaction to a woman baring her body for all the world to see is more the rule than the exception.

Ntfs_encryption
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3746

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"But I have grown weary of our expecting every great Black athlete (and entertainer) to be some impossibly flawless standard bearer of any/everything that promotes some (alleged) best interests of Black people.

Serena has just as much right to do WTF she wants to do with her likeness and image as any other person, regardless of sex, race, etc. And even if that amounts to her making a dayam fool of herself, that is HER choice, business and LIFE to do as she chooses."

Thank you...............

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14316

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cough-cough. Funny you don't adopt this tolerant attitude when it comes to rapper thugs and celebrity coons, NTFS.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 941

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 02:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is posing nude, (as opposed to naked) considered a flaw?

It is not as if she posed for a brown wrapped, behind the 7-11 counter "publication". ESPN is a mainstrem rag...er mag.

In reality, Serena is showing as much of herself in the pictures as she does on the tennis court.

Robynmarie
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 942

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 02:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Troy-If I saw Roger or Tiger (or Derek Jeter)posing nude for a magazine, I would think I am having a very good day.

It would not reflect negatively on their morality, achievements or greatness. Why is there a double standard when it comes to women?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 14317

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 02:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is criticizing someone who exposes their big ol thick greasy body a flaw?

And, me, personally, I ain't interested in seeing male athletes naked.

There's no resolving this issue. As has been established; Serena has a right to pose nude and other people have a right to chide her for doing so. So be it.

Carey

Post Number: 2406

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AMEN Cynique. Good night nurse!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Our Mission
To promote the diverse spectrum of literature written for, or about, people of African descent by helping readers find the books and authors they will enjoy.  We accomplish our goals through AALBC.com, our related platforms, and strategic partnerships.
Main Sections
Profiled Authors
Book Lists
Book Reviews
Writers’ Resources
Movie Reviews
Celebrity Interviews
Events
Discussion Forums
Current eNewsletter
Fun Stuff
Founder’s Blog
About Us
Started in 1997, AALBC.com (African American Literature Book Club) is the largest, most frequently visited web site of its kind. Learn more.

About Our Webmaster & Founder
Affiliated Websites
Huria Search
Edit 1st
Domains for Authors
ABLE
Power List Bestsellers
AALBC.com's Book Club Archive
Customer Service
About AALBC.com
Subscribe
Marketing Kit