Sister Souljah... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Sister Souljah... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edenson
Regular Poster
Username: Edenson

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those anticipating that HBO movie of The Coldest Winter Ever... will have to wait some more... It seems that they won't be doing the movie with HBO anymore... I think that they are trying to make it a motion picture and get it on the big screen... I think thats good and all, but how long is going to take for this movie to get made... I actually have to reread the book to remember what most of it is about... and this is my favorite book of all time... I guess they must be under contract still becasue her website stated that the movie wouldn't be able to be sold until January 2006... She said many studios are interested in making the movie, so we'll see....

O, and I think she is currently working on a sequel to T.C.W.E. who knows who it's gonna be about this time, but I think she should be done soon, but thats what they said about the movie....

So what do ya'll think???

Troy
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Troy

Post Number: 292

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 01:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...I must be getting too old for this stuff. Honestly, I could care less if this movie is made or not.

Besides there are too many other popular stories in this genre that could be made into a movie. Why so much attention on this particular story?

I read TCWE last year and found it to be a decent read - I got through the book. However despite its popularity, I did not find it so overwhelmingly superior to some of the other, more recently published books, I've read in the genre.

All due respect to Souljah, If I threw a dart on one of my book cases, I'd bet the probablity of me hitting a book I enjoyed more that TCWE would be better than 75%.

It seems most movies (at least those made to appeal to a black audience) are made to appeal to a teenage audience. As a result, most movies are not very good. At least I don't find many very appealing...

As a result, I'm not looking forward to a big screen production of TCWE -- the book was fine by itself. I doubt a movie adaptation would improve upon the original.

That said I hope if does get made. Souljah would make some money and I suspect she'll spend it in a way to benefit the community.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2990

Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Troy. TCWE book does deserve credit for being in the vanguard of hip-hop lit, but I've always found it lacking and in comparison with what's currently out there, TCWE's mediocrity is its most distinguishing feature.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1613

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you'd rather have "Get Rich or Die Trying" by 50 Cent (which just opened from coast to coast in hundreds of theaters)

Crystal
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 245

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 01:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree too Troy. I also read it for the first time last year and couldn't see what all the fuss was about but several people have said it's their favorite book. I got into an interesting conversation with a teenage young man on the bus while I was reading it. He saw me and said he read and loved it. He said he'd never read anyting describing the streets so true. Sort of like I felt after reading Manchild in the Promise Land all those years ago. I suggested he give Walter Mosley a read. He remembered the Devil in a Blue Dress movie and said he'd check Mosley out.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3000

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 02:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a room for a film like "Die or Get Rich Trying" out there in the movie spectrum if it is well-written and well-directed. It is no different from the critically acclaimed "Scarface" and is after all the case history of the fall and rise of an extraordinary young man.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 767

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 03:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, I think you have a little crush on Fiddy. LOL

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3001

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL Not really, I think Fiddy's kinda of a doofus but I had to have a come-back for Chris Hayden, or my day wouldn't be complete. heh-heh.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 768

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, it's OK Cynique. We all know by now that in your case you don't let some ticks on the odometer stop you from revving your engine and sporting the latest rims! I hope to be the same in years to come. (*wink*)

But seriously. What I wonder is this: Do all these guys shave their chest? As hairy as many Black men are and whenever you see these fellas sporting no shirts their chest and abs are as bare as a baby's bottom. What's up with that?

(And not that I'm complaining. So long as the hoochies are half nekkid the guys might as well be, too.)

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 898

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I prefer men with hairy chests and I'm turned off by unnaturally smooth chests.

I don't want a "BOY"---I want a hairy ass man.

I hate all that shaving shit.

And when a man shaves his tummy and legs---FORGET IT.

I never let Thomas shave anything but his face (and ONLY the bottom half, because it was scraping my tits raw).

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 899

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 09:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now a bald head on a man turns me on.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 770

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola: Ditto, ditto, ditto, definitely ditto, and re: the bald head a big (smooth shiny) DITTO! LOL

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 771

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Just to be clear, I made no response re: Thomas. LOL)

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 900

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Girl, I know.

People don't know anything about animal magnitism and "getting hit in that ass" anymore.

These black men today are becoming so YUCK---flavorless.

The women are even more Neutral and soulless.

Talk,talk,talk...giggle,giggle,giggle.

What ever happened to FUCKING?

Just listening to these ardvarks talk...I know damn well they ain't chopping no wood.

Shit.

The only thing that's supposed to smooth as silk....IS ME.

And he better beat my ass.

I ain't lying.

I'm talking poke-doke SPOONBILL, honey.

Gimme me something to cry about, daddy.

These new generation people get on my nerves.

**Well, I'm sure by now you're sorry you got old Kola started. :-)

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 901

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Girl, they "sampling" today.

That's ALL they're doing.

sampling and scratching...and talking SHIT.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 772

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOLOLOL! I. Am. Done.

Yukio
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yukio

Post Number: 995

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kola...of course a bald head turns you on; it makes ya think of a...

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 902

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Licking my lips.

Yes, Yukio. I admitt it. :-)

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 903

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, seriously...

a bald head denotes ultimate masculinity and power.

Then again---a woman's shaved head IN AFRICA (in every corner of it), has been the most enduring "Beauty Trait"...of course, representing FERTILITY and "higher class status", culturally.

But I love bald BLACK guys.

Other men don't wear it too successfully. A few, but not many.

I think Vin Diesel looks incredibly sexy BALD, and to me--he's white---but I've had numerous sex fantasies about him. So he's a Non-black man who lights me up with desire with his bald head.

Enchanted
Newbie Poster
Username: Enchanted

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When certain people come it always goes off topic.

That's the sign of a bipolar personality sometimes.

I read Souljah's book and I enjoyed it better than most. So I am the opposite here. I would love to see it as a film because it gives so many good roles for black actresses to play for a change.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3003

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear ya, Yvette. But Fiddy? No way! After all, Canye West is my Chicago homeboy, and Nelly is my St. Louis sweetie. I just think Fiddy's life story is amazing. He survived being shot 9 times and not only lived to tell it, he's now a successful millionaire. I also identify with his detached attitude.
Hirsuit men? Nah. Smooth well-cut bodies? Yesssss! Bald heads? Maybe. Neat, mustaches, goatees or beards? Fine. LOL

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1616

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 01:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

If there is room for 50 there is room for Sistah Souljah.

These other artists you guys admire just have to get off their ass and do something that catches the public imagination.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3008

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm surprised nobody took advantage of the opportunity to correct me. Rapper West's name should've been spelled "Kanye" instead of "Canye."
As for Soul sistah, she has already established a place for herself. 50 cents is the outcast trying to find a niche.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1622

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

We don't correct you.

We pity you.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3012

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Troy doesn't pity me. Save your pity for your own sorry-assed self. LOL

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1626

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

Quit putting words in Troy's mouth.

Forgive her, Mr. Johnson. She knows not what she do.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3016

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 03:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is a direct quote, from a Novemeber 13, 2005, post by Troy under the "Where is Baby girl now thread" on the Kola's kool room board.

"Cynique, despite how Kola may react to this statement. You are and always have been my girl. I consistently enjoy your posts."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com