The Color Jockey's are at it again. M... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » The Color Jockey's are at it again. More energy wasted. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nels
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Nels

Post Number: 139

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:48 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beyoncé Knowles, who appears on the cover of this month’s Vanity Fair, ... read on ...

http://www.radaronline.com/fresh-intelligence/2005/10/14/index.php

Did they (VF) actually do anything wrong? Probably not. This is just another example of how the color factor, its meaning and its interpretation have gotten completely out of control.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 615

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:23 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****Beyoncé’s personal publicist who set up the photo shoot, said that while she had no knowledge of procedures at Vanity Fair and could not speak for the magazine, she didn’t think VF had lightened her client’s skin tone. “There are very fair-skinned black people in this world, and Beyoncé is one of them,” she said.****

What people don't understand is that she's much lighter and whiter looking without all that make-up. But I'm not saying they didn't do it. Maybe they did. Even still, they're not doing it to us. We're doing it to ourselves. Notice how J-LO's "bronze" complexion is what was alleged to be desired. Who set that train in motion. Before influential colorist black men and women, those in the hip-hop/black entertainment world (who by the way, are capable of promoting a bag of rocks) and those who were fans of that world, J-LO (and women like her) wasn't even speck on the mainstream's radar. But now that black men are shubbing light skinned sistahs aside for bi-racial and J-LO like women, the hip-hop lovin mainstream are doing exactly what their beloved trend setters inspired them to do. If they're going to choose someone from the hip-hop world to grace their money making cover, why shouldn't they do it the hip-hop way? Can you blame 'em? Cha-Ching! and Bling-Bling! The ironic part is that those colorist black women who were out for themselves and those sellf-hating black women who rejected their own reflection and bowed down to another... got exactly what they deserve -- They got screwed....... by black men.

Tonya

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 656

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:31 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I appeared on FOX NEWS....they darked my image by about 5 shades.

When I was featured in the New York Times---they took the following movie still from one of my old Arab films and DARKENED it considerably.

Kola

VERY OFTEN, however....Black Celebs will "Request" to be lightened on magazine photos.

Beyonce's "Publicist" might have requested it...or the magazine may have done it on their own.

Here is a photo of me Backstage at The Front Page--KJLH wearing my real hair straightened.

Kola Boof

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 657

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:35 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,

Halle Berry is MUCH lighter without her "orange" makeup on.

You're right.

And I'll bet Beyonce is too.

Halle is light egg-nog colored with naturally straight hair. She loves VERY bi-racial without the makeup and shading.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 617

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:52 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was their way of making you look like a lier, huh, blackening you. Well, I'm glad it flopped! I wish it would do that all the time. Sadly, it doesn't. That blackening method seems to work.

Tonya

Yukio
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yukio

Post Number: 861

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kola: you never answered my question: I am mistaken for Ghanian. I have full lips, broad nose, and I'm Terrence Howard's complexion. Am I light skinned? Would I get white privilege?

Anyone, can answer this question. Tonya?

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 251

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm, "blackening".....didn't they used to do that with light-skinned actors in the "race films" in the 20's and 30's? I guess nothing's changed.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2793

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who is deceived by the tone of Beyonce's cover photo? Everybody knows her ethnicity and what she is famous for. It isn't as if VF are trying to portray her as white or even as being raceless. As far as Beyonce is concerned it's all about showcasing her glamor. And why would Kola Boof be indignant about having her blackness enhanced in photographs. Isn't that's what she's all about??? Dispelling the negativity of dark skin??(Straightened hair, indeed.)

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 714

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is interesting to see all the photos that particular link provided. Beyonce seems to be a different shade in all of them. I happened to take notice of the photograph that features (what I believe to be) their (DC) album cover. All three young women have very similiar skin tones in the picture. In reality, I don't think Beyonce is that brown nor do I think she is as light as the VF cover. This is all part of the business, though. Magazines do this shyt all the time--it's nothing new. Americans are consumers--we love it--and prove it time and time again by supporting it with our capital.

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 715

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique,

Interesting observation!

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 618

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique:

(As far as Beyonce is concerned it's all about showcasing her glamor.)

Tonya:

You imply this a lot, Cynnique, that whiteness and glamor go hand and hand. Could that just be the mindset of people a certain age. Many older adults watched soap operas religiously and they also watched shows like "Dynasty", "Knots Landing", "Dallas" ect. They're idols were people like Clark Gable, Spenser Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey and Katherine Hepburn (not the same people, I think). Anyway, Jackie Onasis, the women who put the "G" in glamor, was their first lady. And the Kennedys was the one family everybody dreamed of being like. In those days, glamor and being white did go hand and hand. If I'm not mistaken, the only thing we had close to glamor was Dianna Ross, in the sixties.

Could that be the reason you equate glamor with whiteness? If so I understand. You gotta hand it to them (white people) they knew how to do glamor and they did it well. European/American style, anyway.

Btw, our version of "glamor" is what we sometimes reffer to as "ghetto fabulous". Glamor to us is very black; though I think most of us uderstand that it got its birth from white people.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 619

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My bad. "the Kennedys *were*..."

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 620

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:41 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yukio,

Both Cuba Gooding Jr. and Terrence Howard look like authentic black men, to me. The problem, imo, is not necessarily that we treat ALL authentic black people poorly. In general, we value them less; but those who are both authentic in terms of facail features and have dark skin are, more often than not, the ones we treat the worse. (Especially if they're women.)

Are you, Cuba, Terrence, and people like y'all authentic? Yes. But at the same time, you guys would be accepted way more by societies - black and white - than guys who look like Ben Wallace (Detriot Pistons) and Biggie Smalls.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 621

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 02:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another good example would be Vince Carter from "The New Jersey Nets". That boy is as authentic as they come; yet, women everywhere (including me ) think he is the foinnest mutha fucka to walk the planet. I wonder, though, if his skin was any darker, would women feel the same way about him. I, on the other hand, think Ben wallace is a foinne mutha fucka, too , so for me, it's not about color.

Tonya

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 659

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yukio, that would depend on where you lived in Africa.

Most people Terence Howard's color in Africa DO NOT live amongst the Black masses----or like White men who frequent Jazz Spots---they pal around with the black men and then retreat to we don't know where.

As I've stated many times, we have Africans who look like Redd Foxx and Toni Morrison. The Zulus and many South Africans are "Yam" colored African.

You could be one of them.

But yes---overall----Light Skin ALWAYS is given precedent over dark skin, irregardless of the beautiful thick negroid features.

Colorism is becoming a MAJOR PROBLEM throughout Africa since 1990---affecting the "masses" instead of just the elite class.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 660

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique,

WHERE...did I say that I was indignant about having my skin darkened?

I simply mentioned that those two news outlets used that as a TOOL.

I didn't indicate I was indignant, sweetie.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 661

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TONYA--

I don't know anybody anywhere more glamorous than the West African Ashanti tribe, the Mandingo, the Fulani, the Yoruba.

Sudan's Nubian and Nilotic tribes.

Ethiopians, the ancient Egyptians.

Black People have ALWAYS...ALWAYS been the most outrageously glamorous people on the planet!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2797

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're wrong, Tonya. Glamour has been around a lonnnnng time. Josephine Baker, the great black entertainer of the 1920s and 30s had it. Back then, Madame C.J. Walker's daughter Aliah (spelling?) also had it. Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge had it during the 1940s and 50s. And Jackie Kennedy wasn't really considered glamourous; she was more sophisticated and classically-understated. All of the white silent screen actresses like Gloria Swanson had Theda Bara were considered glamourous long before Jackie was even born. Glamour transcends color, I thought everybody knew that. But I guess you didn't. It would also seem that you're confusing glamour with charisma.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2798

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice try at damage control, Kola. LOL

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 664

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, you're so FULL of yourself.

I'm a pretty straight out person. Everybody knows that.

So I don't know why I would HOLD BACK on being outraged at being darkened---if I had been outraged.

My point is that Malcolm X, Angela Davis and several other Blacks have experienced what I experienced----their images being DARKENED (for the benefit of white fear of blackness) when those celebrities in question had a message that challenged the status quo.

They ALSO had no problem with being darkened and did not complain about is---as I have not done.

If you go to my web sites---you'll notice that I often darken my own image in photos by using "dim lighting", darker makeup foundation.

The point about the MEDIA is "aesthetic".

Yukio
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 863

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya: I hear ya, but the examples you use are allstar athletes and actors, so I think they'll get love regardless of their color.

Kola: Gotcha!

Cyn: I here ya, but most of the women you picked were received their acclaim with the aide of their color. There complexions had much to do with their access to Hollywood. This doesn't mean that they were not "glamourous," but that their color provided the conditions for them to obtain such a status.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 668

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe I'm thanking Yukio for his last post.

LOL

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2799

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk about somebody being full of themselves! You're the one who posted all of the pictures of yourself, accompanying them with awkward explanantions, and this isn't the first time you've become touchy if people don't get the shade of your skin juuuust right, Kola - don't call me dark brown" - Boof!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2800

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 05:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Yukio, I stand by my statement that glamour transcends color. Keep in mind that glamour isn't restricted to being in the spot light or exclusive to being famous. It's simply about flair and panache! During the Harlem Renaissance, there were glamorus women galore in all colors, just as there are today!

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 670

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just this morning....

I made a post in the KOOL ROOM referring to myself as "dark brown".

So once again, Cynique is making up shit.

I never told anybody not to call me any shade.

Yukio
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 864

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cyn: I agree. I don't disagree with your point; I was just commenting on your examples.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 622

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was talking about European/American style glamour, guys. I'm sure we can agree that there is a noticeable difference between European style of glamour, African glamour, and the kind that Josephine Baker exhibited.

And, no, Cynnique, the difference isn't charisma. It's style.

...Also, besides Josephine Baker, I don't think any of the women you named were famous for being glamourous. I think they were famous for their beauty, talents, strong personalities, and just being able to make it in that world. Could you be thinking of charisma? Anyway, My point, which I wanted to save until I got your answer, is that I don't think Beyounce is at all concerned about the type of glamour some are used to. Her dress was hoochie, which equals ghetto fabulous, which equals glamour.... That's the type of glamour she most likely was aiming for. The whitening of her skin - if she did agree to it - would probably not have been her way of aiming to be glamourous. I could be wrong. A lot of people choose to lighten their skin in order to be accepted AND to be glamourous. Beyounce doesn't strike me as that type of person, though.

Yukio, you're right. But don't you think guys who look like them are treated differently from one another, based on how they look?

Tonya

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2803

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 07:46 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally disagree with everything you say. Glamour is glamour. There are no different types of glamour. It has an universality to it. As I said, it's about flair and panache, even a little mystery. Eartha Kitt. I never heard anything so ridiculous as saying European glamour is different from American glamour. And I know the difference between charisma and glamour, thank you. Che Gevera had charisma, Marlon Brando had charisma, Harriet Tubman had charisma. Glamourous, they were not. And there's no way you can say that a Lena Horne and Dorthy Dandridge were not glamourous and say that Diana Ross is. Diana Ross is almost a caricature of glamour. Jeeze. I'm done. As usual, we are not on the same wave length.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 624

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 08:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

STYLE. I said STYLE. Did you read my post? I specifically said it's STYLE (as oppose to charisma). And, I DID NOT say there's a difference between European glamour and American glamour. Reread my post. I said there's a difference between European AND/OR American STYLE glamour, African STYLE glamour, and the kind that Josephine Baker exhibited. In other words, there's a difference between the three (3) STYLES.

I'm willing, though, to stand corrected on Josephine Baker and the rest of the women you mentioned because I honestly don't know a lot about the lives of these women (save Harriet Tubman, of course).

Tonya

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2806

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 08:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wasn't necesssary for you to even inject the word style into the equation because it doesn't matter what the style is. Glamour is glamour; it's an aura.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 625

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, Style is a method, a form, a technique, an approach........ a means to achieving that aura. So, yeah, I did have to inject the word style since you guys like to get technical, and in your case, snide.

Tonya

Th_ethiopian
Regular Poster
Username: Th_ethiopian

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cynique high yellas like u have neither charisma nor glamour..........whats so glamourous about high yellas trying to be white.......oh my god cynique......a beautiful african lady jusy walked past by me......i have to go now.........im gonna go talk to her.......i hope she doesnt have a boyfriend........damn shes fine as hell...wish me luck

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 673

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, OK Ethiopian.

You're winning me over.

But you being a "black man"----your comments about black men are confusing.

Now you claimed to be 200% Ethiopian.

Is that right?

COME ONE. Sit down and tell us all about yourself.

I'd hate to hold a grudge against you forever, just because you came in here like a snapper in a 2 acre pond.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2808

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ethiopian...i do wish u luck...i think you will need it cuz i don't think u have a lot going for u....he-he...btw why r u so preoccupied with my color...??? he-he....

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2809

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Puleeze, tonya! Resorting to a dictionary to boost your definition of glamour is a travesty! Glamour is exuded; a glamourous woman doesn't rely on style, style relies on a glamourous woman. A

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 627

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique, I wasn't defining glamour. I don't know what the hell is up with you today but I'll say it again: Reread my post.

Tonya

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2812

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re-read my post. You were giving a dictionary definition of style in an effort to relate it to glamour. And, obviously this conversation is going nowhere.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 628

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique said:

Glamour is glamour; it's an aura.

Tonya responded:

And, Style is a method, a form, a technique, an approach........ a means to achieving that aura...

See. I was defining style. And its a means to achieving glamour. Different cultures have different means (styles) of achieving glamour.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 629

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which dictionary?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2813

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you didn't get your definition from a dictionary then it is even more suspect. Glamour is not achieved. It's exuded.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 630

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How does one "showcase" or "exude" glamour?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2816

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glamour is a confident attitude that resonates from a person who is at one with their finery. And for the last time, I done with this exchange. Obviously we don't agree on the subject of glamour.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 633

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:42 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does evey glamorous person around the word possess the Exact same kind of "fineries" or is it possible they ...... oh, I don't know ...... differ somehow?

Tonya

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2820

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:52 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not about how the clothes look. It's about the air of the person who wears them.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 635

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique,

You're either classy or you're not. You can dress/look classy and have classy things but that doesn't mean you're classy. You're either sexy or you're not. You can dress/look sexy and have sexy things but that doesn't mean you're sexy. You're either glamorous or you're not. You can dress/look glamorous and have glamorous things but it doesn't mean you're glamorous.

A classy person can still appear classy without dressing, looking, or owning classy things. A sexy person can still be sexy without dressing, looking, or owning sexy things. But can a glamorous person still be glamorous without his/her glamorous things? A dirt poor person could be both classy and sexy without being able to afford anything. Could a dirt poor person be glamorous under those conditions.

I completely uderstand what you're saying. It's an attitude, a mind-set, the way one carries oneself -- It's knowing who you are.... LOL!

But glamor is so dependent on fashion it's almost impossible to seperate the two.

That's what I'm talking about, the fashion (i.e. the style). So as I said, (a) the fashion (style) changes from place to place and (b) one needs STYLE in order to ACHIEVE that fashion. Through style glamorous people achieve a certian fashion and it changes from place to place.

Tonya

Ntfs_encryption
Newbie Poster
Username: Ntfs_encryption

Post Number: 16

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

“You're wrong, Tonya. Glamour has been around a lonnnnng time. Josephine Baker, the great black entertainer of the 1920s and 30s had it. Back then, Madame C.J. Walker's daughter Aliah (spelling?) also had it. Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge had it during the 1940s and 50s. And Jackie ………………………….Glamour transcends color, I thought everybody knew that. But I guess you didn't. It would also seem that you're confusing glamour with charisma.”

### This is so true. Only those who are desperate to push their own personal agendas and politics on others will rail away hysterically and attempt desperately to argue a position that is rooted in a self made world of delirium and fantasy. Glamour is not restricted nor exclusive to any group.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2821

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clothes have no personality per se. It's only when they are worn and take on the flair of a person, that they become what they are. What I am saying is that a blond blue-eyed woman could wear African finery and come across as glamourus, as could a blue-black bald headed African woman wear Western finery and be glamourous, and these example are not so rare. What you seem to be saying is that ethnicity makes glamour different from place to place and that glamour is not possible without stylish clothes. A certain amount of flamboyance is associated with glamour and clothing is implicit of this image.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 636

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ENCRYPTION -- LOOK AHEAD BITCH:

FUCK YOU

WHO ASKED YOU, BITCH!

HAD YOU READ THE POST PROPERLY, YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT I ADMITTED TO PROBABLY BEING WRONG ABOUT THAT. AND, AS FOR GLAMOUR BEING RESTRICTED OR EXCLUSIVE TO ANY ONE GROUP, I NEVER SAID THAT; IF ANYTHING, I SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE. SO CORRECT YOURSELF YOU STANK PUSSY EATIN, CRUSTY TOE LOVIN, SHRIVELED UP DICK, CRACK-HEAD. PUT THE WHITE PUSSY DOWN. IT'S MAKING YOU SEE SHIT THAT AIN'T THERE. BUT DON'T BE COMING UP IN HERE TALKING THAT DUMB SHIT TO ME! AIN'T MY FAULT THAT STANK PUSSY GOT YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKIN MIND, BESIDES...

...YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME, NIGGA!

NEXT TIME YOU STEP TO ME, WATCH YOUR GODDAMN TONE; AND MAKE SURE THE SHIT IS CORRECT --

EITHER DO THAT, OR MIND YOUR FUCKIN BIZNIS BITCH!

TONYA

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 637

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynnique:

Clothes have no personality per se. It's only when they are worn and take on the flair of a person, that they become what they are..... What you seem to be saying is that ethnicity makes glamour different from place to place and that glamour is not possible without stylish clothes

Tonya:

Explain why it "seems" I said such things. And, also, explain why you seem to be implying that I believe clothes have a personality.

.......... Please explain.

Tonya

Blaklioness
Newbie Poster
Username: Blaklioness

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,

I have the distinct feeling that Encryption may not be Black...

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 638

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, remember that style/fashoin (as it pertains to glamour) doesn't only include clothes; it includes where/how one dines, where/how one is entertained, how one lives, the whole nine yards.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 639

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could be right, Blacklioness. Something's wrong with his ass.

...Comin at me like that!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2825

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In making those last statements, I was expressing my opinion and giving my impressions! Does that answer your question? And why aren't you as burnt out on this subject as I am?????? If it makes you feel better, then for goodness sake, continue to think what you believe glamour is - and I'll do the same.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 640

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I thought, BITCH!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2826

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You didn't think shit, asshole, that's why you asked those silly questions with you thick skull and thin skin. Ol bad Tonya, always getting bellergerant like you could do something to somebody, like you could harm Encrypton if he/she challenged you again. What you gonna do?? Come through the computer. Wooooo.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright © 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com