Playing the Race Card Latina-Style Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Playing the Race Card Latina-Style « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Babygirl

Post Number: 122

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 07:36 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alisa Valdes-Rodriquez, author of Playing with Boys and The Dirty Girls Social Club, posted the following little diatribe on her blog today about Miss Oprah. Now, delusions of grandeur not withstanding, why hasn't Oprah answered your letters?

Letter to Oprah by Alisa Valdes-Rodriquez
So, any of you catch the hilarious op-ed in the NY Times today? The one where the author, upon hearing that Oprah has re-ignited her book club to include living authors again, basically begs to be on the show?

Sounded familiar. Sadly familiar. This is me: "Please, Oprah! Pleeeeezzzzeee!"

Yup. I've written to Oprah a few times. Not ashamed to admit that. So have my publicists. And publishers. And fans. Hundreds of fans. I've told her about following my heart to success. About putting my brother through school so he could follow his heart, too. About the sales of the book. The movie deal with Jlo and Laura Ziskin. The TV deal at Lifetime. About how, even though my books are called "fluffy beach reading" in the media, I've heard from lots of women who decided to leave abusive men or go to college, just because the women in my books did it. All the braggy nonsense. Still no response. Just eerie Oprah silence.

No response, even though her hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune, called me "The Latina Terry McMillan" in a huge headline and arts cover story - and Terry McMillan, who is non-Hispanic black, has been on Oprah more than once. Terry, it seems, is Oprah's homegirl. Terry's new book is on Oprah's "must read" list, which helped catapult it to the bestseller lists. If Oprah likes a book, American buys it. End of story. Terry McMillan sold less than I did until she was on Oprah. Actually, she sold her books out of the trunk of her car. Now she sells more. Lots more.

Oprah loves Terry McMillan.

Oprah hates me.

Don't know why, exactly. I'm sure those of you reading this who also hate me will have long lists of reasons for Oprah to hate me. Shoot, I can think of a few reasons to hate myself.

But I suspect Oprah's reason is simple and has something to do with my last name. A lot to do with my last name. See, when the media frame national ethnicity in terms of "new largest minority" it tends to make blacks feel like Hispanics are running them out of town. Oprah likes to put herself on every single cover of her magazine. I suspect she's a proud woman who likes being No. 1. I suspect the idea that Hispanics are the No. 1 largest minority in America does not please Oprah.

I might be paranoid. I might be stupid. There are lots of things I might be. But, you know, you have to think that if a young(ish) African American author made the cover of Time as one of the 25 most influential African Americans in the nation, Oprah would probably have her on the show. Or at least mention her book.

Or at least return calls from her publisher.

Just a theory. Oprah loves black people. They make up a much larger portion of her guests than they do the general population. Nothing wrong with that. Not unless she believes that Latinos are threatening in some "newest largest minority" way, and sort of refuses to have us on the show. Hispanic guests on Oprah are far less than their portion of the general population. Remember that song "Things That Make You Go Hmm"? I'm singing it right now.

I like Oprah. I wish she liked me, too. Maybe if she realized that many Latinos ARE black, including dozens in my Cuban family, she'd change her mind...?

Nah. Probably not.

Oh well.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2647

Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another interesting article. But I didn't know that Oprah loved Terry McMillan that much. I thought she loooooved Toni Morrison. And does Oprah love back people other than the rich and famous ones who occasionally appear on her show. (Or the down and out ones who she can feel sorry for.) Every time I look at the the sea of white faces swelling with adulation when Oprah makes her entrance on her TV show, I just shake my head and laugh. She was trying to play that "mammy" role, offering her ample bosome for poor ol Jennifer Anniston to boo-hoo on, but our feisty little Jen kinda blew her off, probably wishing the show would hurry and be over so she could go belt down a couple of "dirty" martinis. It'll be OK, Jen. heh-heh. Just go and adopt a couple of scary-looking orphans and you, too, can lure somebody's husband away. Go Angelina! Annnnnnd Cynique is about ready to go into hibernation for the winter. (Gee, the roar of the crowd is deafening) Go White Sox! Division Champs!

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Babygirl

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, I'm with you Cynique. Oprah likes Terry about as much as she likes the size of her own thighs. She has always fawned over Toni. I just found it interesting that no matter what side of the ethnic divide one wants to cry foul from, the rationals tend to rain just as stupid. She really lost me when she stated blacks make up the larger part of Oprah's guests because Oprah loves black folks so much. I don't know what days she's watching the show, but I must have missed those GO BLACK PEOPLE! episodes. But since her Cuban family is just as black as the rest of us are, let her gripe. Hell, Oprah ain't had me on her show either. It must be my hair. We know how anal she is about hair. My lush locks must not be long enough, or straight enough. Woe is me! Oprah don't like folks with my kinda do...let me go write that 'ho another letter and see if she'll answer me this time...

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1475

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This gal ain't been watching the show--Oprah's club shows a predilection towards white authors--but her audience is mostly white so there it is

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 391

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rodriquez:

See, when the media frame national ethnicity in terms of "new largest minority" it tends to make blacks feel like Hispanics are running them out of town.

Now the Latinos sardonically view us as sad and pathetic,too - huh??? That's an ungrateful back stabbing that AAs so desperately deserve.

I wish we'd just get it together.

Tonya

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster
Username: Blkamericanking

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure this Latina lady from Cuba knows that there are blacks all over Latin America. From what i have heard, the blacks in Latin America are not even called Latin, they are called BLACK and they are treated bad. When those blacks from Latin America come to the US, they are tricked into classying themselves as Latin and not Black American. It is a trick to keep all of us blacks divided. So, my main point to Miss Latina from Cuba is, the Latin population has NOT passed the Black American population.

Afroamerican
Regular Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frankly who gives a shit?!

I have never heard of Hispanics COMPLAINING over the fact that there are not more "African-Americans" on Univision or why more Hispanic films stars don't promote more Afro-American up and comers..........

It seems everyone should be allowed to be proud of their "roots" but Afro-Americans.

Puerto Ricans can have parades throughout New York.

Mexicans can have their's in California.

Cuban-Americans in Florida.

And people of Irish descent are defiently "allowed" to have the annual Irish Day Parade/celebration.

.....but a poor little "negro" girl Oprah can not "Represent" her people nor promote their work.

How sick!

However, I'm very , very glad to read this "angy" letter. Makes me DAMN PROUD!

Renata
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Renata

Post Number: 96

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't even watch Oprah, and even I know that she has authors of all colors on. Maybe she just didn't like the book. Just because some critic liked it doesn't mean everyone will.

I've seen movies that critics thought was the bomb, and felt gypped out of my money and was angry I saw it.

Deebaby
Regular Poster
Username: Deebaby

Post Number: 41

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh please, she's just trying to get some publicity for herself and her book

and since she "forgot" that there are Cubans who are as Black as Oprah's Black ass, I won't be checking it out

Shyt, what author DOESN'T want to get on Oprah. That's like hitting Lotto.

She needs to fall back with that BS

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com