Elderly New orleans man beats the odd... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Elderly New orleans man beats the odds of Katrina...... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roxie
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Roxie

Post Number: 197

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 07:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, 76, Trapped for 18 Days After Katrina
By DAVID CRARY and ROSE HANSON, AP

NEW ORLEANS (Sept. 17) - Day after day, for more than two weeks, the 76-year-old man sat trapped and alone in his attic, sipping from a dwindling supply of water until it ran out. No food. No way out of a house ringed by foul floodwaters.

Without ever leaving home, Gerald Martin lived out one of the most remarkable survival stories of Hurricane Katrina. Rescuers who found him Friday, as they searched his neighborhood by boat, were astounded at his good spirits and resiliency after 18 days without food or human contact.

"It's an incredible story of survival," said Louie Fernandez, spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency search unit that carried out the rescue.

In recent days, search crews have been finding corpses by the dozens in the still-flooded neighborhoods of New Orleans, but not trapped survivors. The FEMA search-and-rescue boat navigating through the Eighth Ward didn't expect to find anyone alive at 6010 Painters St., but they planned to search the premises of a one-story wood house.

As the motor idled and the boat glided forward, they heard a voice.

"Hey, over here."

Using a sledgehammer, a FEMA rescuer broke down the front door and went inside with another team member, struggling through a living room jumbled with overturned, sodden furniture.

They found Martin sitting in a chair in the sludge-covered kitchen, partially undressed in an effort to keep cool. After 16 days in his attic, he had descended to the ground floor two days earlier when the floodwaters - once up to the ceiling - finally drained, even though the house remained surrounded by several feet of water.

Incredibly, Martin - who ran out of his gallon-and-a-half water supply on Thursday - was able to walk out of the house with just a bit of assistance.

"He was weak, very tired, but he was able to speak, able to stand," Fernandez said. "He was very relieved. He was very thirsty. He was in good spirits."

Martin was given water to drink, then taken to Ochsner Foundation Hospital, where nurse Jinny Resor said he was treated for dehydration. She said Martin had taken medication while he was trapped, but she wasn't sure what it was for.

In a brief telephone interview with The Associated Press late Friday night, Martin said he was felling fine.

"So far, so good," he said.

As for his ordeal, his description was concise: "I was living in the attic for 16 days, and I was living off water."

The two rescuers who retrieved him are firefighters with a California-based FEMA team - J.D. Madden of Santa Clara and Eric Mijangos of Menlo Park.

"I don't know how much longer he could have went on without water," said Madden, 29.

Martin's family left before the storm, but he stayed to attend church, later took a nap and woke up to find that his home was filling with water, Madden said.

Martin only had time to grab some water and get to his attic, which he described as feeling like an oven during day-after-day of mid-90-degree heat that followed the storm. Madden said the heat in the attic might have been even worse, perhaps fatal, except for shade provided by a fallen tree.

Staff Sgt. Jason Randor, a military police officer with the Massachusetts National Guard, watched the rescue from another boat that was helping provide security for the search team.

He recalled jubilant yells from the firefighters when they realized someone alive was inside.

Martin emerged, wearing jeans and a shirt.

"While they were putting him in the chopper, he asked if they could stop on the way at Taco Bell to get something to eat," Randor said.

Fernandez, of FEMA, was on scene when Martin arrived at a FEMA base camp before going to the hospital.

"He had lost a lot weight," Fernandez said. "He definitely had to hold his pants up with his hands."

Martin was the first trapped person found alive by Madden's California Task Force Three team in its 12 days of calling out to homes from the boat and peering into windows.

"We've been in the rescue mode the whole time and haven't given up hope that there was someone out there alive," he said.

But officials overseeing the search effort said the discovery of corpses and the dwindling number of rescues has been taking an emotional toll on search units.

"Our squad members are getting access to trauma and grief counselors," said FEMA rescue squad liaison Charles Hood. "It's becoming a very difficult task."

Fernandez said Saturday that Martin's rescue was a welcome morale boost for his colleagues.

"Little victories like we saw yesterday help motivate people, who are facing one of the toughest jobs they've ever faced," he said.

Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Rose Hanson in Baton Rouge and Cain Burdeau in New Orleans.
--------------------------------------------------

[*content sigh*] Bless that man and the family that still has their patriarch.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 705

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:42 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WONDERFUL story--Made my day! Thank you for sharing this.

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Rustang

Post Number: 135

Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now we know how he managed to live to be 76.That old guy is tougher than a boot heel.:-)Ditto to Yvette.Wonderful story.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1453

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rustang:

I saw the news story on him. You surprise me.

What? No criticism of the brother cuz he didn't have a shirt on or had his belly out? I notice he didn't have no front teeth and his speech wasn't proper.

In your universe he shouldn't have been representing the colored folks, should he?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2592

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can hardly wait for Rustang to tell your obnoxious ass off, Chrishayden.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1454

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

If you feel froggy take a leap!

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 138

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well now,Chris,that certainly raises an interesting question.Since you obviously saw the news story before you saw this thread, why were you taking such a critical inventory of this man's appearance and behavior when he had been through such an ordeal? You say that I surprise you? I'm sure that an intellectual cripple such as yourself is surprised on a regular basis. Were you not a man of such amazingly limited understanding you would have realized that someone like this old man would elicit nothing but respect,admiration and sympathy from me. He is no embarrassment to the black race. You are.

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 139

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something else just occurred to me. I'll bet that old man'll whip your god damn ass for you if he sees what you said about him.:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2596

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Chrishayden, I don't feel froggy, so go jump in the lake like the big warty toad that you are. EW

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1456

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rustang:

You're the man who laughs at black people who are victims of flood and disaster. Not me.

Cynique:

You may not FEEL froggy but you look like your foot will fit a lilly pad!

Ribbitt!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2597

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know what you're talking about, Chrishayden. Are you confusing Rustang with Nels?In one of his posts, Rustang mentioned that he drove to New Orleans from Texas to see if he could lend a hand and after going out with a guy in a boat, he helped rescue some people, and even brought back a family to stay with him. You need to crawl back under your rock, el Jerko.

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 05:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, confusion and not knowing what he's talking about are what he does best. It should surprise no one when a dog starts barking.That's what they do.
Let's stay focused here, Chris.You saw the story.The story must precede the thread about the story.My post was made the evening after the thread was initially posted. This means that while you were sitting there in the privacy of your own home, independent of anything that might or might not be happening at this web site, you were picking this man to pieces. There is no other possibility.If you say that anything else was happening at that moment, you are obviously and blatantly lying.You can lie to yourself and spin it in your own mind to have yourself be something other than what you are, which is an elitist snob, void of merit, ability,intellect and compassion,but your lie will not stand up to the most casual application of logic.Apparantly the person you believe that you are bears little resemblance to the person you actually are,you detestable little worm.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1457

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

Your mind is mush so I will reproduce my post (on the thread, "The FBI is loose") and his hysterical reply, which seemed to indicate to me at least, that he agreed with the sentiments in the posting therein

My post:

Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 11:00 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a discussion group. And everything is up for discussion. And everyone is free to discuss whatever he or she will.

But only a damn fool would look at the pictures of those suffering people come up with some comments like this.

Looks like Strom and the boys were right. Ain't ready--

But all is not lost. Maybe a terrible natural disaster will strike your areas and you guys can show off your prize winning physiques as you cling to some driftwood, swelter in a shelter or float face down in some muddy water.

Rustang's hissy fit:

Rustang
AALBC .com Platinum Poster

Post Number: 122

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 11:32 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Chris:This particular 'prize-winning physique'was over there dragging cars out of swampy mud and getting them running so folks could get out of there.It was also running back and forth hauling people out of there and getting them situated in a safe place, and just to make sure that there would be someone admiring my manly self I have a young couple with three small chilldren living in my house as we speak.I guess I must have some real ego issues.I probably should have stayed in the comfort of my home and watched tv while wringing my hands,bleating about how somebody needs to do something about this,like you did.I see from your comments that we can add big ol' fat bastard to that list of qualities you possess in adundance,like arrogant,stupid and argumentative.If a natural disaster strikes my area you can bet on two things.First,I will survive it and second,I will be right there in the thick of it in the recovery.Withdraw to your fantasy world where the chubby little munchkins don't have strokes and heart attacks and leave the grown-ups alone.

Rustang:

You aren't Cynique in cyberdrag, are you?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2603

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As usual, you put your own spin on things, Chrishayden. You haven't made your point at all. Just your own personal interpretation, skewed to make you look less foolish than you are. But your attempt failed. Face it. you're a loser. And a wormy loser at that. EW

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1459

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

I love it the way the intellectual level of a thread goes DOWN whenever you're involved.

Puddles of ignorance just form wherever you are! How do you do it?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2606

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give it a rest, Chrishayden. Your attempt to deflect from your own inadequacies by attacking me aint'working. No matter how you slice it, you are full of baloney, - a pathetic wanna-be who resorts to vapid accusations in order to mask his own insecurities.

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 141

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drag is when a man dresses like a woman, braniac.I see that you are desperately looking around for something to focus on other than yourself.The fact remains that you were too busy disparaging this man to marvel at the story unfolding on your tv.I sure you had a good laugh at this very durable fellow's expense.That's the small minded, petty sort of person that you are.And now,it seems, you will get what you wished for concerning me.A category five hurricane is heading my way,and my statement about the two things that you could bet on stands.I will survive it, as will my wife, our daughter, her husband , their son, and the five people I have taken responsibilty for.I will also be as heavily involved in the recovery as my situation allows.I see that the gods truly do watch out for idiots, for they have interceded in your behalf again.But they also seem to have overlooked something.I don't bar hurricanes.They say send him another hurricane? I say fuck 'em. Bring it on, you sons of bitches.:-)I'll be getting ready for it.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 364

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what's up! Rustang! You're my hero, such a manly man.

Please stay safe.

Love ya!

Tonya

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1465

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bust-Thang:

I am not worried about any of you. You can all float out of harms way using your swelled head as an ark.

The Lord will preserve you so you can get some more of these cyber buttwhippings

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2608

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's nothing worse than a jealous, ego-centric wimp who doesnt know when he's been bested. Poor ol Chrishayden. He tries sooo hard.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2611

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope you weather the storm, Rustang.

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 142

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, you know that you want to be just like me when you grow up.All you need to do is butch up some and make sure that you remember to keep breathing.It seems that the worst of it will miss Houston entirely.We'll probably lose power in some areas but that's about it.Good for Houston, bad for Beaumont, I guess.Thanks for the kind wishes.:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2625

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:55 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you escaped the storm, Rustang. Now all you have to contend with is a certain "blow-hard" who also happens to be a "big drip." heh-heh

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 143

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 06:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got my power turned back on.That was weird.First time I ever went through a hurricane and didn't get a drop of rain.:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2635

Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"First time I ever went through a hurricane
and didn't get a drop of rain."

Gee, Rustang. You're a poet and don't know it. Or maybe you do. (Just a little dry humor for ya.) :-)

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 144

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My feet are Longfellows?:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2638

Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:24 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we dating ourselves, or what? Ahh for the innocent humor of yesteryear.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2009 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com