The Gentrification of New Orleans: A... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » The Gentrification of New Orleans: A Re-Birth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nels
Veteran Poster
Username: Nels

Post Number: 59

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 01:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just watched a major news segment today on Baton Rouge and its real estate prices, which have skyrocketed in just one week since Katrina hit. Houses are being snapped up sight unseen for a 10% premium over asking price. All residential rentals are occupied, as there are no vacancies. Commercial lease space for businesses relocating from New Orleans is being gobbled up at a frantic pace, and speculators from everywhere are moving in right now (i.e., descending), and the dead haven't even been collected. As I recently said in a sidebar in the (Kanye's Comments) thread, New Orleans' rebirth may have already begun too.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1415

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 03:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nels:

You're right. It will be reborn--all them poor people who they got out of there will not be taking part in it.

Just like I have seen around here in St. Louis--they go in and tear down all the projects or substandard housing and promise all the old residents they will be able to come back, build a bunch of $100,000 plus condos and guess what? They can't afford to come back. Whoops!

There's a bunch of gentrifiers and real estate developers who are thanking God for Evil.

Deebaby
Newbie Poster
Username: Deebaby

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...they go in and tear down all the projects or substandard housing and promise all the old residents they will be able to come back, build a bunch of $100,000 plus condos and guess what? They can't afford to come back. Whoops!...

That's what I was thinking.

It would have been easier if they could have just let them all die, but since the recent --too little too late-- intervention, and getting the survivors out of that convention center,

Plan B is ship their asses outta there to all over the place - here, there, hither...

And the ones who are trying to stay, they're talking about forcing out because they're concerned about their health

uh-huh...

They don't want nobody trying to hold on to no piece a property cause they have plans...

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 276

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nels, Chris, Deebaby:

Please tell me people can't be that nasty! A part of me want to know the truth, but at the same time I want to stay naive.

I don't want to loose my innocence, so tell me it ain't so!

Tonya

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1422

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya:

I can't tell you it ain't so. From the latest decision by the Supreme Court about Eminent Domain I'm gonna tell you there are a lot of property owners who have got a fight on their hands.

But suppose you weren't. Suppose you rented or stayed in the projects. Owners of property are not going to want to rebuild so they can rent to low income renters--probably won't be able to afford to.

And you think the city fathers are going to want to rebuild the projects so old and disabled people and people on public assistance can come back? What for? So they can be unemployed and hang out?

Nope--New Orleans just solved its urban renewal problem and I have run into more than one person in the last few days who thinks it was done purposely.

Nels
Veteran Poster
Username: Nels

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:46 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"New Orleans just solved its urban renewal problem"

Chris --

Well said.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com