Lionel Richie...Divorce Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Lionel Richie...Divorce « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

West_africa
Veteran Poster
Username: West_africa

Post Number: 55

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lionel Richie...divorce. The cost...?

Eddie Murphey ... divorce. The cost...?

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Babygirl

Post Number: 111

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

West_africa...brain dead. Why...?

And more importantly...Do we care...?

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 266

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:37 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAHA!!!! That was fuckin funny!!

Rustang
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Rustang

Post Number: 116

Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come on,ladies,ease up on the brother a little bit.:-)He's doing the best he can.
The cost to who?To Lionel and Eddie?To there families?To the institution of marriage?Society?Or is this some cryptic commentary on the divorce rate of celebrities?

West_africa
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 58

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Babygirl : You are forgiven because you probably are just a silly little girl.

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 06:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now, that's funny! On which two words did you base that assessment? Brain or dead?

And I'm actually impressed. You actually strung together a full sentence instead of your usual fragmented mutterings!

Let's see if I can be as intuitive about you, West_africa.

You believe that I actually care that my own fragmented statement was significant enough to have actually caused you some emotion. And being the BIG man that you are you will extend your forgiveness because being the silly little girl you just know me to be, you know how desperately I crave your approval. And your fragmented dialogue is actually just a precursor to the stimulating wit and intellectual rhetoric you plan to throw on us as soon as you decipher your own personal poetic styling because you are a staunch advocate of perfection in all other aspects of your life to mask the jaw dropping reality that your over-sized feet belie the actual size of your exceptionally small penis. And as long as you keep throwing us nothing of any real relevance to react to and comment on then there is no threat of any one here actually discovering anything about you other than you are still the annoying nusiance whose behavior borders on redundancy that your fourth grade teacher warned you might never grow out of.

Another few fragmented statements and I might even be able to predict your future, big boy!

West_africa
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does not impress me that a little girl is impressed.

You're a bit silly, "Babygirl".

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 113

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got to do better than that, munchkin!

But then maybe I need to use smaller phrases to inspire you.

Small...brain...very small...dick...good (if you can stop laughing)... old Westie_A...

I know I lack your poetic acumen but how was that?

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 500

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LMBAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

West_africa
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 62

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have an interesting fixation, but you're still just "lightweight, with an amplifier"...

Though you're obviously not the only one.

West_africa
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOTES from the period PRIOR TO the settlement:

Lionel Ritchie's divorce settlement...

MARCH 2, 2005 --

Five months after filing for divorce from Lionel Richie, the singer's estranged wife has just weighed in with a whopping--and remarkably detailed--demand for at least $300,000 in monthly support payments.

According to Diane Richie, 37, the couple has led an "extraordinary extravagant lifestyle" and that she had "no limit on what I could spend," according to the below Los Angeles Superior Court declaration filed last week. The Richies, who wed in December 1996 and have two young children, live in a $40 million Beverly Hills mansion, with its 30 rooms spread over 18,000 square feet.

"In addition to nine full time staff members, we also employ people to maintain our plants, detail our cars, care for our pool, groom our dog, maintain our aquarium and a painter for regular touch ups on the house," noted Richie.

She also made sure to point out particular monthly expenses that Lionel, 54, needs to cover: clothing, shoes, and accessories ($15,000); dermatology ($3000); laser hair removal ($1000); massages ($600); jewelry ($5000); gifts ($5000); and vitamins ($500). There are plenty of other costs Richie listed--like $20,000 annually for plastic surgery and her nine-year-old son's $125,000 boarding school tuition-- [excerpt].

According to Richie, she began dating the pop star in 1984, when they met at the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles (she was an 18-year-old dancer). Since those teen days, the performer "paid my rent and/or mortgage, purchased automobiles for me, and regularly bought me expensive gifts," recalled Richie.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 690

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel really sorry for Lionel. He bought himself an 18-year-old toy. And failed to read the small print. Happens to folks all the time (car loans, mortgages, record-of-the-month clubs...)

Lawyers, Diane, both. He's going to be paying *somebody*. Best to take out the old checkbook. (And maybe try writing a song or two...get himself in someone's recording studio..)

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 114

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yvettep, I have no sympathy for him. He dug his own hole when he left his first wife. He paid well then, so he had to know he'd have to pay well were it to happen for a second time. These days, any one, male or female, who has BIG money and an ounce of sense know that they are opening themselves up for exactly this when the love suddenly ain't there no more. If Lionel didn't learn from his first travesty, he surely should have learned from all the other money mongrels that reside around him in LA-LA land.

I feel for the child who will probably follow in his big sister's footsteps because mommy and daddy are too preoccupied with themselves to really give a damn.

So, in answer to your query, West_Africa, who cares what the cost is. It will have to come out of Lionel and Eddie's pockets, not yours, or mine, or anyone else's. Their drama will play out behind the privacy of their closed doors, spill out into the arena of public record and tabloid exploitation, and in the end, they'll still be two black men without a damn clue with two ex-wives who did.

And no fixation here, munchkin. I'm just tired of tired asses asking stupid ass questions, offering nothing of relevance, meaning, or compassion and then expecting everyone else to jump with joy as if they've actually accomplished something. Hope I amplified that enough for you.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 691

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yvettep, I have no sympathy for him.

Me neither. (In case anyone missed my sarcasm.)

Other than that: Ditto what you said, Babygirl. Ditto.

West_africa
Veteran Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Babygirl" : At least your name makes sense, for you.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2515

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That article dates back to March. I believe I read somewhere recently that Lionel said he and his wife were looking forward to amicably dissolving their marriage. Richie is notoriously stingy and I can't imagine that, having been previously divorced, he would not take great care in protecting his assets. Bottom line remains. Who cares???

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 505

Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He's been photographed driving all over Malibu Beach with his NEW 22 year old White Portuguese girlfriend...so

West_africa
AALBC .com Platinum Poster

Post Number: 88

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 04:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lionel Richie "now stands at the pinnacle of pop music, recognized around the world as the most successful singer/songwriter working today," Charles Whitaker announced in a 1987 Ebony article.

"His string of nine No. 1 hits," Whitaker continued, "in nine consecutive years, is a music business record."

Richie began as a lead singer with the Commodores, a funk/pop group that came to the attention of music fans in the early 1970s, and started forging his distinguished solo career in 1982. Since that time he has garnered many awards, including three Grammys, several American Music Awards, and a 1986 Oscar for Best Original Song with his hit theme to the film White Knights, "Say You, Say Me."

Richie was born in Tuskegee, Alabama. His mother and father, a school principal and a systems analyst for the U.S. Army, respectively, lived on the campus of Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University), where his grandfather had worked with the college's founder, black leader Booker T. Washington.

As a child, Richie was exposed to many different kinds of music, particularly by his maternal grandmother, Adlaide Foster, who taught him piano and preferred classical composers such as Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven. Even then, Richie showed signs of the talent he would later become, though his grandmother did not then appreciate this fact:

"During my lessons," Richie recalled for Todd Gold in People, "I kept trying to make up my own songs, and it annoyed her."

The fledgling artist was also influenced by the ballets and symphonies he attended at Tuskegee, but he preferred listening to gospel, rhythm and blues, and country.

Richie eventually enrolled in Tuskegee Institute; his initial goal was to become an Episcopal priest. He brought with him a saxophone that an uncle had given him as a child, though he did not know how to play it--according to Gold, "he thought it would help him meet girls." Regardless, it helped Richie to meet five other Tuskegee freshmen who were forming a musical group and sought him out because they heard he had a saxophone.

Apparently, Richie's lack of prowess on the instrument proved no obstacle--he told Robert E. Johnson in Ebony that the men who would later become the Commodores "took ... two years to find out that I'd had no training on the sax."

While Richie and the group practiced, aspiring to, as he put it for interviewer Lynn Van Matre of the Chicago Tribune, "revolutionize the music business," or "come out with a new sound, you know, and kill them," he also gave up his clerical ambitions in favor of an economics major and an accounting minor, which helped both the Commodores and himself in later business dealings.

The Commodores first began to gather a following when they won the opportunity to open for the Jackson Five's concerts in the early 1970s.

Around the same time, they signed a contract with Motown Records, and after a two-year period of searching for the right producer and arranger, began to put out albums. At first the Commodores gained a reputation for party and dance music with disco-oriented hits like the instrumental "Machine Gun," and the song responsible for the dance craze of the same name, "Bump." Another of their most popular singles was "Brickhouse."

But by the mid-1970s, most of the Commodores, including Richie, started to feel that funky dance tunes were too ephemeral. They wanted to move towards writing and recording ballads, which they thought more likely to become timeless standards. In the same period, Richie worked more intensely on his songwriting skills than previously. The Commodores' 1975 album Caught in the Act contained their first ballad hits, "Sweet Love," and "Just to Be Close to You." They followed these up with more slow songs, which gained popularity in large measure due to Richie's romantic lyrics and smooth singing voice. "Easy," "Three Times a Lady," "Sail On," and "Still" confirmed Richie and the Commodores' change of style.

Richie was already working on other projects in 1980, including producing an album and writing the song "Lady" for country artist Kenny Rogers. In 1982 Richie decided to leave the Commodores to pursue a solo career, though his decision was not due to conflicts within the group. His first album on his own, Lionel Richie, gained him a hit with "Truly," which also won him his first Grammy, as Best Male Vocalist, in 1983. His string of hits, some of which helped Richie earn his music business record, includes 1983's "All Night Long," "Penny Lover," and "Hello"; and 1987's "Dancing on the Ceiling." Richie has also had great success with film themes such as "Endless Love" and the Oscar-winning "Say You, Say Me."

Perhaps his most far-reaching and influential musical project, however, was the song "We Are the World," which Richie co-wrote with pop superstar Michael Jackson. The disc was recorded by U.S.A. for Africa, and its profits were donated to the cause of famine relief in Ethiopia.

Richie believes his success as a songwriter comes from God, whom he told Johnson was his "co-composer." He explained further: "I give credit to my co-writer because all I did was write down what He told me to write down."

Richie also revealed to Johnson that he prefers to collaborate during the night. "In other words," he said, "from about eleven to about seven in the morning is a very wonderful time because ... God ain't worried with too many other folks ... I know He is very busy during the day, so I wait for late night, and it works for me."

Regardless of the authorship of Richie's songs, along with the phenomenal mainstream popularity that he enjoys come accusations from some critics that he has abandoned his black musical roots, especially after the hit he recorded with the country group Alabama, "Deep River Woman." Richie responded to this issue for Whitaker in Ebony:

"I'm trying through my music to break the stereotype that says to satisfy Black people you have to play something funky. I'm broadening the base, trying to show that Black artists are capable of playing all kinds of music."

~~ Elizabeth Thomas

West_africa
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 107

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"... an extreme loss of strategic resources for the African-American community."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com