The Art of Old School Discipline Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » The Art of Old School Discipline « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Babygirl
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Babygirl

Post Number: 105

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:47 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.politopics.com/2005/08/shame-is-lost-art.html

Came across this and thought it interesting.
I have to wonder if mom's version of discipline will help her youngin' or just further alienate him and reinforce his criminal behavior. To shame and shun can be powerful deterrents, but in this day and age will it work?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2492

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:17 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with your final comment, Babygirl. Maybe the mother should've just suspended her son's video game playing privileges for a week, a punishment that would undoubtedly have a big impact on his life...

Libralind2
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Libralind2

Post Number: 187

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:11 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

beat um
LiLi

Deebaby
Newbie Poster
Username: Deebaby

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that's silly.

I don't mean it judgementally. She's likely a mother who loves her child and is just trying to do what she thinks will keep him out of trouble.

Neither she, nor he needs to annouce to the world his problems/issues/unwise choices

nor his father's.

Talk to him and put him on punishment.
(I believe in consequences for unwise choices.)

Importantly also, get him involved in some supervised activites

Boy's Club

Police Athletic League

YMCA

church basketball or football league

He needs better things to do with his time, postive male role models and friends, and more positive productive ways to get Mom's attention.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com