Nergo and black is there a difference? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Nergo and black is there a difference? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Public_enemy
Newbie Poster
Username: Public_enemy

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say yes, Negroes are black bodies with white heads and black people are black all the way. What do others think?

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2473

Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think "negro" as applied in America is simply an archaic term. I also think that placing lables on people is just a way of not having to deal with them. And not dealing with such people can mean you're afraid they may represent something that invalidates you.

Natural~beauty
First Time Poster
Username: Natural~beauty

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 09:22 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't like either...I perfer the term African American...Black seems to feed into the whole skin color thing when that is nt what it is all about...We shouldn't be divided by how we look, but by culture...For instance if I came from Jamaica or Haiti, etc...I wouldn't want to be called Blakc..I rather be called Haitian or Jamaican because that is their culture...

Blkamericanking
Veteran Poster
Username: Blkamericanking

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 04:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natural~beauty,

I like the term African American, but I strongly disagree with you when you say we should be divided by culture. Whether we are in the Caribbeans, North, Central or South America, we are all black people or Africans in the diaspora. When we put labels on ouselves or allow others to put labels us, that is what causes division between black people.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Tonya

Post Number: 200

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 06:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can call me black, African, Afrikan, African-American, negro, colored cornbread eatin chicken biscuts and yams. Hell I've even been called Haitian and Jamaicam. None of it bothers me and I don't understand why it bother so many.

Tonya

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 467

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In Africa, they have a decree that says: "Everything you do...do it with 100 years from now in mind."

So when people say that they want to Demonize and Remove the word NEGRO for future generations.....

...I immediately think of the all the greatly important books and documents that people from the early 20th century left behind----some of the greatest WISDOM ever recorded are in those books by YOUR ancestors.....that will not be given the same attention by your future children if they can't stand it---that the word NEGRO is attached to the ancestor telling it or the people being talked about.

La

Garvey

Harlem

Bessie Zora

Think WISELY.

This is not a smart move.

No matter what your intentions, Public Enemy...or what you believe will be the outcome...you are acting like a Hot Head.

First of all...since no one calls themself a NEGRO anymore----why DEFAME and place a STIGMA on those important ancestors who used to?

You are cutting them off from your progeny.

What are you so ashamed of?

And at the core of it---that's always it with Black people and Black men in particular. They're always ASHAMED about things that they have no RIGHT to be ashamed of.

You care TOO MUCH...about the White Man. It's like you Black men wish you could be a White man. And that's because.....you believe....everything he says.

Forget about the past.

What about the PRESENT?

There is SO MUCH....so very much WRONG with Black people right now in 2005.

Why not be really and truly BOLD and start trying to undo some of the Black man's self-destruction and self-hate?

Our race is receiving the WRONG MESSAGE...from Black men, NOT NEGROES, and that message is going to be our undoing.

So start with Snoop Dogg, start with Kobe Bryant (and the millions he's investing in ITALY, where he's created JOBS for 3,600 people), start with Clarence Thomas and that whole Jackson Family.

Leave the word NEGRO to Langston Hughes and Zora Neal Hurston and Marcus Garvey and Sojourner Truth and all those fine, outstanding negroes who GAVE THEIR LIVES to make it possible for you to sit chirping at a typewriter about a word that is just as pretty and poetic as the black gorgeous precious ones it describes.

I adore that word. It's so heart-stoppingly beautiful.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 201

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 08:02 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Could that be what happened to the word "slave"?
I notice that when AAs refer to our ancestors as slaves, they sometimes seem a little embarrassed.

Should we be ashamed of that word?

Tonya

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 468

Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, you shouldn't be ashamed of ANYTHING that your ancestors were called including "nigger".

I've admitted to people on this board COUNTLESS times that I once engaged in sluttish, whorish behavior.

You really think it bothers me when people call me a Whore?

NO. I delight. Because I understand the POWER that men wield over women through imposing "SHAME"---over shit we shouldn't even be ashamed for.

My body is mines. And every whore I ever met had a dick between his legs and were fucking THREE TIMES as many people I did. SO THERE. I could give a shit about being ashamed. That's why I started my own religion and stopped going to these MEN's churches with MEN's religion.

Fuck men.

I LOOOVED being a slut when I was young.

Best damn times I ever had! Shit.

Kola

Anyway...you mentioned "slave"....

But NEGRO is different.

Negro is actually a very beautiful, poetic word that simply means in Spanish....."black".

Stop staying it with a White Bama Man's accent and SAY IT with a Spanish accent.

You will see.

It's a gift.

Not a curse.

Say it with a Spanish accent and open your
palm where your earth roots (lines) are
...and imagine the prettiest, most colorful
piece of home made candy in your palm...

and say "Negro".

It's perfect.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 202

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:02 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have my own answers to those questions, but I wanted to get your perspective.

My opinion is that since some people view blackness as an evolutionary process, they feel that the word negro is something that needs to evolve. I can and do disagree with this, but I can't expect others to feel the same way.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 203

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The phrase "slave mentality" is seen as something negative, which makes the word "slave" negative as well.I disagree with the phrase but it's one that people use all the time.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 469

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:49 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is not to Tonya directly, but picks up where she left off.

Evolving....is a lot different than saying that

there's NEGROES (low ass losers)....and then there's BLACK PEOPLE (proud righetous folks).

Public Enemy made it clear that the term Negro is to be basically placed in the same realm as "nigger"---and bannished from our vocabulary.

That, to me, is completely unfair and self-destructive, because there is a HUGE difference (see my post above) in the two words.

One more time.

The words "Egypt" and "Sudan" both mean the exact same thing the word "Negro" means---BLACK.

Not a single one of them is African an African word.

The words "Hausa"--thick featured King..."Niger"--the blackest with his hair...."Bantu"--the people or the goobers

are African words that describe "Negroid" peoples in Africa. Everyone on the continent uses them to make a distinction of who we are talking to---when we want to explain to a WESTERNER what we mean, we stop and say, "Oh, we mean Negro person".

So then...what does a "slave mentality" have to do with every single Negro?

It's part of something "ugly" inside Black Americans own Psyche that they are transferring to the word----no different than people who think it's an insult to be called "charcoal" or "black" or "blue black".

There's nothing wrong with those terms--but I always notice that I have a completely different reaction to those terms...than those who are descended from slave peoples. ONLY THEY...find these descriptions "disturbing" and "ugly"----because they find what's being described...as disturbing and ugly. AAs just have to stop IMPREGNATING them with negative meanings based on self-hatred.

They are NOT negative.

I find the term "High Yellow" far, far more offensive than "blue black". Because the 2nd term describes beauty....the first term infers a "corrupt" state of supremacy.

diamonds

Remember. The earth cannot produce a diamond---without charcoal.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 470

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:06 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me clarify something before Public Enemy comes in here saying I don't what I'm talking about.

In Africa...

When members of the Bantu groups say---"Bantu"---they mean: the people.

When outsiders (like me) of the Bantu race say---"Bantu"---they often mean: the goobers

(because Bantu people eat ground nut stew, which is made out of goobers---peanuts)

Another example:

In Sudan, the "Dinka" tribe received that name (Dinka) from Europeans.

The Dinka originally called themselves "Jieng". That is their REAL name---just like Kamit ("black") is Egypt's real name.

But to the rest of the planet they are called "Dinka".

These words have much deeper meanings, Public Enemy....and that is what I mean when I tell you that we use "Hausa", "Niger", "Bantu" as a PRE-FIX to describe "Negro" people.

A Somali will say: "He was Bantu-Black."

Meaning he was "negroid", not Ethnic Somali or Nilotic.

And WE DO use the word "negro" in Africa. There are West Africans who use that word PROUDLY.

Deebaby
First Time Poster
Username: Deebaby

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 04:29 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, in the year 2005, I don't expect anybody to be calling or referring to me as a negro.

At least, I wouldn't answer to negro.

I'm a Black woman.

African American, Black American, African, Afrikan, sista...I'll wear 'em all.

I've used the term "negro" in a sarcastic way towards "why can't we all just along" and/or "we are the world types" who have problems being called Black.

Is there a difference?

I'd say a few decades.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 204

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote A:

Well, in the year 2005, I don't expect anybody to be calling or referring to me as a negro.

Quote B:

I've used the term "negro" in a sarcastic way towards "why can't we all just along" and/or "we are the world types" who have problems being called Black.

Tonya:

Kola, there's my piont. Quote (A) represents the need to evolve. Quote (B) is the destruction of what she's evolving from. In order to "evolve" people feel the need to destroy what they are evolvig from. That's human nature.(Or is it?) I guess the question should be is it natural to destroy what you are evolving from.

This is why I'm confused about whether we should ever try to "evolve" from blackness. But that's exactly what many are doing.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 205

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, I misspelled the word "point".

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 471

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya:

Kola, there's my piont. Quote (A) represents the need to evolve. Quote (B) is the destruction of what she's evolving from. In order to "evolve" people feel the need to destroy what they are evolvig from. That's human nature.(Or is it?) I guess the question should be is it natural to destroy what you are evolving from.

Kola:

No it's not natural---it's niggerish, what she's doing, because it comes from her self-hatred.

POINT:

In reality, the word "Sapphire" means an exquisitely beautiful jewel.

But to Black Americans---it's a "put down" that means a bitter, nagging dark skinned black woman.

Don't you see?

There's nothing wrong with the beautiful word Sapphire.

It's something wrong with the people who degrade these words that have been used to describe them.

She doesn't even take the time to explore WHY she hates the word negro.

Obviously------when she says "negro"---she sees exactly what it stands for. Wide, flat noses...nappy hair...deep chocolate skin...full ripe lips.

The word conjures up the face of Nell Carter and Oprah Winfrey....not the face of Jada Pinkett Smith and Chili, so it immediately triggers the user's self-hatred. Think about it.

AND FURTHERMORE...it's not "her", Deebaby, who decided to despise the word. It's a bunch of self-hating blacks BEFORE HER who taught her to despise and defile the word.

But she doesn't take the time to really think about it.

NOTICE how we've got a "movement" going against the word "NEGRO"-----but most people still honor the term "good hair".

30 years ago...damned near ALL BLACK FOLKS lived in the ghetto. But now---"ghetto" is a shameful, hateful slander to the middle class nigger people. And TRULY---it's the uppper class and middle class blacks who are usually the REAL niggerstock.

Meanwhile, the Black people of integrity use the term "Ghetto Fabulous" in an attempt to counter their brethren's self-hatred and defiling of the word.

SO NO.

It is not normal to DESTROY what you evolve from.

But when a whole group of people are trying to become the Ethiopians who hate them.....they must destroy all evidence that they were once the Senegalese who gave birth to them.

And yes......the next step is to evolve from Blackness itself.

Which you see beginning to take place all around you.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 207

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gotcha

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1384

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola:

All of our "ancestors" were not right. Some black (negro African Americans) ratted out Denmark Vesey and some others who were planning revolts. Some of them were ratting out the Civil Rights warriors. One of the bodyguards of Malcolm X was an undercover policeman.

Are we to give honor to traitors, sellouts and self haters, too?

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 04:54 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OBVIOUS PIONT MISSING HERE:

If Black Americans thought "negro" was such a horrible word simply because it brought to mind "Oprah" and "nappy headed", "dark skinned" people then they would obviously object to the world BLACK as well!!! Black is the word Negro in English!!!

Duh!

The nappy headed, flat nosed, ugly, dark Nel Carter and Oprah use the word BLACK to describe themselves. How can "Black" not conjure up these to women just like Negro can?

Again, I'm trying to understand where some of you are coming from since many of the people on this board are not American or at least were not born here. However, everyone here seems pretty intelligent and SHOULD KNOW the historicial displeasure with the world NEGRO!!!

FYI: Coloured is NOT used any longer either. And for a while it use to mean "mulatto" or Light skinned. However, its just as disrespectful to call an Afro-American "colured" as it is to call one "Negro".

The term has nothing to do with "color" but the historical DISRESPECT the term recieved.

Also, FYI; Marcus Garvey is JAIMICAN! HE IS NOT "OUR" PEOPLE ANYMORE THAN THE SOMALI FAGGOT THAT VISITS THIS BOARD IS "OUR PEOPLE".

Honestly, I'm so sick and tired of Afro-Americans worry about what other people think about them, what they call themselves or what they are!

Who cares what they think!

If "we" don't like the name we should not have to use it!

Period!

For 400 years Niggers have gone alone with whatever "the White man" has told them they were. Be it Negro, Nigger, Slave, African etc.

WE SHOULD, AND WILL, EVENTUALLY DEFINE OURSELVES!!

Afroamerican
Newbie Poster
Username: Afroamerican

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL.

If the Spanish slavetraders call us NEGRO then dammit thats what we are..................

If the White Englishmen calls us SLAVES then dammit that's what we are.................

If the White American calls us NIGGERS then Niggers we be.......................

If Africans consider us African then dammit Africans we'll be forever.............

Anybody with common sense can see that "we" are nothing if we dont' even have the strength to NAME OUR OWN GODDAMN PEOPLE!

How exactly do you controll or unify a people that you can't even call by name? Or simply EXCEPT someone else's definition of yourself.......What shit!

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 472

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excuse me, AfroAmerican....

MARCUS GARVEY founded and was President of the

UNITED NEGRO IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION.

He proudly called himself a "Negro".

Jamaicans are Negroes. All WEST and SOUTH AFRICAN and "Congolese" peoples are---NEGRO.

The word "NIGGER" started in AFRICA in the early 1600's....we were called "Nigger" 50 years BEFORE you were.

The people of INDIA were called "Nigger" for 100 years of British Colonial Rule.

CHRIS....since nobody calls themselves "negro" anymore---right?

WHY completely SLANDER that generation of Black people who did by making the word mean "inferior losers"?

You give your offspring an excuse to not read/investigate and appreciate that generation by doing this.

How do young people in 2020 NOT be "ashamed" to read all the "Negro Titled" poems by Langston Hughes if you do this?

You kill a part of your ancestors reality.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 473

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afro American Said:

Anybody with common sense can see that "we" are nothing if we dont' even have the strength to NAME OUR OWN GODDAMN PEOPLE!

How exactly do you controll or unify a people that you can't even call by name? Or simply EXCEPT someone else's definition of yourself.......What shit!

KOLA:

But AfroAmerican....

....YOU AND I ARE IN AGREEMENT! I totally agree with that statment.

I'm NOT saying that you should start calling yourself "Negro."

Please don't mistake me.

I'm saying that you should PRESERVE THE DIGNITY of it for your ancestors.

There is no way to read a book by Langston Hughes or Zora Neal Hurston without coming across the word "Negro" atleast 50 times.

If you make it into "Sambo" and "Nigger"----then your descendents down the line will not be able to read their work without SHAME and embarrassment.

Do you see what I'm saying?

There's nothing wrong with that word OR the people who called themselves that. "Nigger" is a whole nother story.

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 211

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do we hate the word "negro" more than the word "colored"? Why do we use negro to defame someone instead of colored? Were coloreds better than negros?

BTW, is anyone else getting flooded out there?

Tonya

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 474

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Afro American, please remember----

that whether you and I like it..."ME and MY SONS" are now "Black Americans".

We are not merely immigrants.

I have been completely raised by, infused with your culture for 20 years now.

So if you are going to claim Mariah Carey....

...I don't see how you can turn me and my sons away.

I am your wife platter---FAR MORE than she is! And on top of it...I am Black!

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 213

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afroamerican said:

The nappy headed, flat nosed, ugly, dark Nel Carter and Oprah use the word BLACK to describe themselves. How can "Black" not conjure up these to women just like Negro can?

Tonya:

Well, Damn!!! Why they gotta be ugly???

Umma try to answer your question anyway.

As Kola stated in her post:

The word conjures up the face of Nell Carter and Oprah Winfrey....not the face of Jada Pinkett Smith and Chili, so it immediately triggers the user's self-hatred.

Tonya:

She was refering to the word "negro".

But notice that the word "black" does not IMMEDIATELY conjure up the faces of Nel Carter and Oprah Winfrey becauses faces like Jada Picket Smith and Chili are included.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 214

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:59 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which is probably why we include those faces (Jada and Chili) to begin with.

Deebaby
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,

I'll buy Quote A

but not B, as it relates to me.

Kola_boof

YOU SAY:
"No it's not natural---it's niggerish, what she's doing, because it comes from her self-hatred."

"My salf-hatred" is non-existent.

YOU SAY: "Obviously------when she says "negro"---she sees exactly what it stands for. Wide, flat noses...nappy hair...deep chocolate skin...full ripe lips."

Inaccuate again.

Your physical description is far from negative, to me, rather BeautifulBLACK.

Many negroes did not embrace the same.
Many folk who pretend to embrace BLACKness DO not.

I outlined a mindframe or mentality (if you will) not a physical association in my post.

I don't despise the term negro, nor Black folk who used the term or identified themselves and others as such...back then.

Neither negroes nor the term "negro" are negative to me, however the term is outdated, as far as I'm concerned.

Those with whom I used the term were of the "forget the past", "pull yourselves up by your bootstraps" mentality.

Sarcasm alluded to the "high hopes" and/or delusion of "negroes" regarding Black progress with/as a result of "integration".

Also,

"Kneegrows" are still talking about "good hair" and referring to "lightskinned" Blacks as "fairskinned".

(What's the meaning of fair?

All right Granny and dem may have fell for dat...but today?

Come on man!

I remember when the old folk admonished youngers who were acting up to "Act ya age not ya color"

This was PRE "Say it Loud. I'm Black and I'm Proud"
(even if was more commercial and time appropriate for James than spiritual and heartfelt, it was brilliant and effective)

PRE Elijah Muhammad, Malcolm X, Black Panthers, etc.

when to be called BLACK was far from complimentary

Not to overlook all that is to be embraced from that time period i.e., the elders who passed on some misinformation regarding BLACKness, yet set examples of strength, resourcefulness, patience, persistence, persevarance, etc.

Perhaps negro is not as restricted in definition or perception for me as for others.

Negro is BLACK

but I can put a spin on it in the year 2005 if that's how I wanna do it to say, "Wake the phuck up!"

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 215

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:49 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dee,

Why not use the term "Creole" to say, "WAKE UP!"?

Just curious.

Tonya

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 216

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:56 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DEE: I've used the term "negro" in a sarcastic way towards "why can't we all just along" and/or "we are the world types" who have problems being called Black

ME: Creoles were mixed black people who DID NOT want to be called black.

DEE: "Kneegrows" are still talking about "good hair" and referring to "lightskinned" Blacks as "fairskinned".

ME: Creoles often conducted a test called the comb test. If a comb could not pass easily through one's hair, he/she was not allowed to enter a creole's home, chuch, private organization ect. They also refered to light-skinned people as fair-skinned and they were very open about the fact that they considered "fair skin" to be superior.

DEE: Sarcasm alluded to the "high hopes" and/or delusion of "negroes" regarding Black progress with/as a result of "integration".

ME: Although it was easier for Creoles to integrate, they too were suffering from "delusions" when they thought that whites would accept them completely.

So, why not use the term "Creole" to say, "WAKE UP!"?

Just curious.

Tonya

Nels
Regular Poster
Username: Nels

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:00 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Negro and black - a difference? That probably depends on who you ask. Chances are, there may be many who identify with neither. Problem is, they can't find something else to identify with. In their minds, they don't owe allegance to any one race, culture, ethnicity, etc. Who are they? Perhaps much of "black" America. As far as the rest of the world, we're still counting.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1387

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola:

How can someone be my ancestor if they hated me? How does it help my spirit to accept the awful spirits that have worked against black people all these years--just because they died they suddenly became loving parents to me?

Just because now somebody is dead and gone all the evil is forgotten and I am supposed to honor them?

I won't do it. Wherever they are they probably don't want it from me.

Is Clarence Thomas going to be an ancestor? Michael Jackson? Thomas Sowell?

Deebaby
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tonya,

Negro and Black, to me, are interchangeable minus the time factor.

Again, "negro" to me is outdated.

I come from a family of proud Southern negroes who were/are proud to be BLACK.
The elders don't refer to themselves and other Blacks as "negroes" anymore. It's been a while now.

As far as Creole, mulatto, biracial,

Well,

folk can call themselves what they wish.

My mother and her parents and grandparents are from Louisianna.

My father and paternal great grandparents and grandparents are Virginians.

You do the math on the white and Native American mix.

My parents and aunts and uncles weren't ones to proudly profess shyt like "we got Indian in our family" or "we mixed".

Not that those terms never came up, but the "conversations" were much more about the BLACK communities in which they lived; the lil southern BLACK school houses;
how they provided their own medical care, like the time my mother, as a child, fell on her porch and a rusty nail went through her head - wasn't no "rushing her to the local hospital", they had to handle shyt like that.

They talked about the crackers who tried to steal my grandaddy's land

They talked for hours on end, and debated once they'd been drinking, on how and how not to, and who does and who doesn't, make Shrimp Gumbo or Peach Cobbler just right...

They talked about the BLACK southern church where they went on Sunday and seemed like they didn't let out till some time Tuesday afternoon.

That's BLACK to me, or we could call it negro...*s*

and Granny putting all that dayum grease in our hair trying to make it silky like hers and making plaits so tight in our kitchens till the skin would pull on our necks

*lol*

BLACK was when our hair became beautiful to her and she know she envied how we rocked the afro and afro puffs cause she couldn't make her shyt stand up and out like that. (Not that she really tried.)

Darkskinned Black, lightskinned Black, brown skinned Black -- honey, mocha, coffee, -- you name it, and hair nappy, wavy, curly, wooly, cottony, stringy, straight,

brown, eyes, grey eyes, green eyes...
I got cousins in Louisianna with deep dark chocolate skin and deep dark blue eyes. (As a child, the first time I went there to meet kinfolk I thought that was some of the strangest shyt I'd ever seen.)

Whatever the mix was, it all came out BLACK.

I'm just reminiscing...

Just as a general aside:

my perception of Black is not only chocolate skin, wide nose, full lips - although that's me...*s*

That's not all Black people. We ARE a variety of skin tones, features, hair textures.

And my perception of Black and what I embrace of BlackNESS is so far beyond a physical discription.

However accurately or inaccurately - as I read some of these threads, I get a sense of the notion of some folk "more or less" Black than others.

To me that's akin to self-hate.

AND

Yes, Tonya, there are many terms, I could use to tell folks to "wake the phuck up".

Creole is moreso how some Black folk on that "I'm mixed with French..." like to call themselves.

That was too location-specific/restricted.

Kneegrow's more universal.

*s*

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 217

Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 05:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dee: Kneegrow's more universal.

Me: Yeah, but Creole's a better fit.

DEE: YOU SAY: "Obviously------when she says "negro"---she sees exactly what it stands for. Wide, flat noses...nappy hair...deep chocolate skin...full ripe lips."

Inaccuate again.

Your physical description is far from negative, to me, rather BeautifulBLACK.

Many negroes did not embrace the same.
Many folk who pretend to embrace BLACKness DO not.

I outlined a mindframe or mentality (if you will) not a physical association in my post.

ME: Creoles fit the "mentality" that you described perfectly. The only difference is that they have the "I'm mixed" mentality as well--which should make them fit even better.

BTW, My family is exaaactly like yours and the dark skin & blue eyes had me scratching my head too. Do we all have those kind of cousins?? Anyway, you took me way back (smile).

Tonya

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2485

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it significant that one of the most high profile fund raising organizations in the country, The United Negro College Fund, has never felt the need to replace the word "negro" with a more politically correct one. BTW, Martin Luther King always referred to his people as "negroes."

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 479

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:05 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what everyone?

Link: http://www.thumperscorner.com/discus/messages/2152/7071.html?1125507779

NO WONDER "Public Enemy" was so upset about the word NEGRO!

Tonya
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 221

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You go, Cynnique!!!!! I gave you five stars, baby!!!

Tonya

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2487

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The literati of the Harlem Renaissance were referred to as New Negroes. This was because they had risen above the "stereotypical" image of colored folk in America back then. To me, the worst that can be said about the word "negro" is that it is outdated. But maybe Diddy is going to revive it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com