Senate Lynching Apology Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Senate Lynching Apology « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 465

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 05:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Full text of resolution:
http://landrieu.senate.gov/lynching/resolution.pdf

More good info from Sen. Landieu's website
http://landrieu.senate.gov/lynching/index.cfm

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 288

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't this kind of meaningless?

Sort of like apologizing for slavery?

I'd much prefer they didn't apologize. It would be "cleaner" if they didn't.

The apology isn't good enough and WHY should we accept it?

We shouldn't.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 466

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband said basically the same thing. More interesting, though, is that there were still folks who would not sign on to the resolution.

Guess they were being real and "clean"!

I'm not sure how I feel about it. There's nothing attached to it (reparations, program funding, etc) so it is a little empty. But I do think some are giving the issue a lot of public exposure, which I do think is worthwhile. Do look at the Senator's website--nice resources that her staff compiled.

I am also thinking of doing a sequel to my post about "lynching as metaphor" that I wrote a while back. I appreciate any critique before doing so. (Really! Don't be shy to be harsh!)

"High Tech Fruit and Strange Lynchings" http://blog.lib.umn.edu/archives/perry032/impossible/016353print.html

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 289

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yvette, I think your IDEA is brilliant.

But I feel that we NEED a whole essay about "Lynching as Metaphor" and that you ought to write it that way....do a little research, ask some Professors for quoted opinions.

I totally agree with you about our misuse of so many words.

Language is SOOOOO powerful.

But I'm jealous that I didn't think of writing about this issue. It's so IMPORTANT.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Abm

Post Number: 3396

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 07:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think they apologized in part because one of the intended victims of a lynching was still alive and MANY relatives of people who've been lynched survive.

So the issue resonate with A LOT of African Americans.

Also, I think by the government officially apologizing, that opens up the prospects of survivors lawsuits.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2286

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The apology is the "acknowledgement" that blacks had a great wrong visited upon them in a country where law and order was supposed to prevail. Its a gesture, and at this point that's all that's left to offer. And, what's with this "we" thing Kola? The only voice you have in this is as an empathizer.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 290

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excuse me Cynique----but all over the African continent

...there are REPARATION MOVEMENTS, insisting that the Blacks on both sides of the Atlantic be repatriated for slavery.

LYNCHINGS have occurred in the U.S. since the 1600's.

Those are the children of AFRICA who are being lynched.

Only 3% of the Africans who came here were SOLD by African Kings....the other 97% were STOLEN, ABDUCTED by force.

OUR CHILDREN.

And the majority of the Lynch victims are more genetically related to ME...that to YOU.

You can have all the high yellow MIXED ones/if that's what you're alluding to....

but the black nappy African-looking ones who were the MAIN ONES being lynched, those are WEST AFRICA's.

And I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN and will have quite a bit to say about it.

Their apology isn't worth the toilet paper they wipe their white asses with!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2287

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no substance to your claim that lynch victims were more genetically related to you than they are to me. That's just another one of your Mother Africa delusions. Lynch victims came in all colors, including white. If America wants to admit that they were wrong in not passing a lynching law, then, I, as a natural born citizen, say go right ahead and own up to your sins.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 291

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nor....is there any substance to YOUR CLAIMS that as an African woman I am merely reduced to "empathize" with the fate of lynch victims.

If anyone's delusional----it's YOU.

Because you and America's ENTIRE BLACK POPULATION came out of MY BLACK ASS, I didn't come out of yours.

I have nothing against them apologizing.

But I don't accept their apology.

It's TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2288

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's just as well that you don't accept Congress' apology for not passing an anti-lynching law because it wasn't made to you. More lynchings occured after slavery, generations removed from 1619 and these victims didn't come out of your Arabic nilotic ass any more than they came out of the asses of mixed blood women. So put a lid on it.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 292

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well their West African Mother would want "ME" to speak on her behalf.

And that's what I shall do.

The fact remains---Black Americans are the children of AFRICA.

Their business is MY business.

I care about my children and I intend to use this opportunity in AMERICA to establish my identity as their real mother.

As opposed to that White Bitch in N.Y. Harbor and these wrinkled face INDIAN bitches and these pious yellow bitches who don't want my children to remember their REAL mother.

It's time they had some new ideas.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2289

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sez who? You don't speak on behalf of anybody but yourself and you are no more palatable or credible than those who you disparage. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 293

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 03:26 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Cynique.

I was just having fun taunting you and saying stuff I KNEW would get on your nerves for a laugh.

This is TRULY, not that big a deal to me.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3402

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola: "This is TRULY, not that big a deal to me."
ABM: Perhaps. But I'll bet it SURE is to those foks whom were lynched and their families.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 294

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola: "This is TRULY, not that big a deal to me."
ABM: Perhaps. But I'll bet it SURE is to those foks whom were lynched and their families.

_____

What I'm saying is not a "big deal" to me, ABM----is the weak olive branch dealt out by the whites.

HOW MANY TIMES

...did they congregate and write up meaningless shit like this for the AMERICAN INDIANS?

Deeds, agreements, apologies, etc.

Their shit is so old it's not even funny.

And I am APALLED that any AA would have some emotional glint in their eye behind something benign as the Apology of a White Man.

SURE---it's WONDERFUL that he is apologizing.

But what would be even more WONDERFUL and powerful and bring JUSTICE to your lynched ancestors....is if for once, you had the backbone to NOT ACCEPT their apology.

THAT is the moment GOD himself is waiting for.

Stop being a damned Punk-ass Slave!!!!

Fuck de White Man and his apologies!!!!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2290

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were taking this more seriously than I was, Kola. Note: I was the one dozing off. And, there's no emotional glint in my eye; just an acknowledgment of Congress' acknowledgement that this country has something to be ashamed of.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3408

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This brother was lynched 75 years. Thank GOD he survived it.

But 1,000s more Black men, women and children were not so fortunate.

Im sorry if you disagree. But I think he, his family and all those whove been similarly affected deserve an apology.

Moreover, Kola, if you want people to understand and appreciate YOUR pain (ala the Sudan), youd better learn to dig THEIRS.

http://bv.channel.aol.com/edumain/edumain_canvas/edart?id=20050614101009990001

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 295

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duly noted, ABM.

I apologize for seeming flip.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3413

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

That's fine. I understand what you mean. But some things you just DO if only but to allow people to have their moment (e.g., funerals, wakes, bachelor parties, etc.).

I forgot to mention the brothah's name is James Cameron. It's STARTLING to think that this brothah has lived another SEVENTY FIVE years after having been HUNG by the neck from a tree. Something as amazing as THAT has just got to mean SOMETHING.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 296

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, ABM.....a group of white men attempted to hang my Black American father when he was a teenager in Memphis. That was in the 1950's. They were drunk and simply plucked him off the street and took him to a tree by Mudd Island (a place black children like to play).

He still has the marks on his neck as they let him hang with his hands around the rope on his neck, the rope burning into one side of his neck as he cried and begged to be let down--and luckily, another a white man came along and demanded they let the boy go.

My father has been quite bitter every since then and for the past several months has scoffed whenever anyone mentions an "apology" for lynching.

My dad is of the belief that all White women should be butt-fucked by Black men for the next 400 years and that Criminal Prosecution and Life Terms for KLANSMEN types is the only "start" to the subject.

My dad being in the Military and of a high rank doesn't help--because he has kissed mucho ass all his life and says the military is the most racist, obvious setting for the white people's hatred of blacks. He is very bitter towards his colleagues and the whole nation of America.

MUCH of my fire...comes from my AA father and my desire to avenge him, along with my African parents.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 3419

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 02:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kola,

Sorry your father has those experiences. Though they are typical of Black men/women of a certain age, that doesn't make each/every incident any less harmful or evil.

I can to a degree 'feel' where your dad is coming from. For although I've not endured such, I share that anger that all Black men on some level are born into this world with.

Yes. Prosecution/imprisonment for past evils bear little solice/recompense. But they are at least...SOMETHING. Really, it's either that or we're reduced to becoming the very thing we revile.

What I hope happens is those who survived lynching and all their families gather together and sue the United States government and ALL the states where lynchings occurred.

Because even if little money is derived from such, this would help ferret out and humiliate all those remaining ratty ol' sons-a-b*+$#es (and their families) who committed this evil.

And, ultimately, I hope your dad understands that you and your siblings are his most potent revenge. Your living, growing, thriving and reproducing means that he beat those devils.

You father WON. And he is still WINNING.

Yvettep
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 477

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 08:33 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two perspectives:

tshirt: Front says "My Senator went to Washington and all I got was a lousy lynching" and the back lists the names, party, and states of Senators who refused to sign onto the apology. (Available for purchase. See mock-ups here:
http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005/06/lousy-lynching-t-shirts-now-available.ht ml

VS.

Cartoon entitled "Know for whom the Senate apologizes" which can be viewed here http://www.blackcommentator.com/142/142_cartoon_lynching.html

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1220

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All:

Being a Black Man in America when I first heard this them Uncle Tom Genes kicked in and I snatched off my spiritual straw hat and mumbled "Well, Lawdy we isn't whar we wannabe but I thanks ya we ain't where we wuz" as an imaginary gospel choir in white robes sang "Nobody Knows De Trouble Ize seed" in the background.

Then this morning I heard that these Senators might be using this as a basis to get rid of the filibuster--for years Southern Senators used it to stall the legislation.

The jury is still out---

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com