What the heck is going on?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » What the heck is going on?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael_t_owens
Newbie Poster
Username: Michael_t_owens

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 09:01 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other day I was doing my thang: writing, eating, surfing the net, when I turned from the History channel to the Cartoon channel. I saw a puzzling commercial on tv. It seems the powers that be are marketing a product called "Bling it on!" LOL! It's artifical platinum jewelry. Kids can just apply it on anything. Toys, cell phones, shades, computers. You can purchase "Ice" or regular. The commercial shows the "standard" pre-teen children having a ball, singing and dancing with their fake "Bling". It even has some adults applying "Bling" to their belongings. This goes to show the influence of hip hop on society! Has anyone seen this commercial yet? You might have to turn to a kiddie channel to catch it. My feelings are mixed on this one.

Michael T. Owens
http://www.michaeltowens.com

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Cynique

Post Number: 2063

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"All that glitters is not gold", but try and tell this to advertisers who are sending harmful subliminal messages to children. Maybe they should start gilding books in order to make the idea of reading one seem attractive.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Abm

Post Number: 2277

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Welcome to America: Land of the cheesy and home of the depraved.

Rustang
Newbie Poster
Username: Rustang

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like they are right on schedule.They fought rock and roll tooth and claw in the late 50s and early 60s.Then came the Beatles,just as white as white can be and they start fabricating bands like the Monkees to cash in.Blues artists couldn't give records away to the mainstream (white) audience.Then came guys like Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn talking about Buddy Guy and Albert King and all of a sudden Blues was a legitimate genre of music.Hip hop was beneath contempt,then M&M started selling and poof!Hip hop is now a legitimate form of expression,so it's ok for the middle class white kids to try to acquire some 'street cred'even though the streets that hip hop developed in would eat them alive.Funny how a couple of bucks can change things.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Chrishayden

Post Number: 1066

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rustang:

You ain't seen nothing yet. I have had arguements on the web with youngsters (I think they were white, but I don't know their race) who are now saying that white people invented rock n roll.

They stole all the money, and now they want to say they made it up.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2068

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am curious, Chris. What is the evolution of Rock and Roll? I always thought of it as white music, mostly because it tends to be corny. Think: Buddy Holly or The Go-Gos, all of them just shaking their shoulders, singin the little ditties, that just made you want to reach for a twinkie to go along with your tuna sandwich on white bread slathered with mayonnaise. Elvis Presley? He says he was influenced by gospel music. But if you've ever listened to the soundtrack of "O, Brother, Where Art Thou? you'll find that those southern whites sang all that country music that could've given rise to rock and roll. The Beatles? They're in a class by themselves; when they did their versions of black songs, they were not doing Rock and Roll, they were white guys branching out into Rhythm and Blues. Same with the Rolling Stones.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1072

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:28 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique, Cynique, Cynique:

Look at the job they have done on you--
Rock n Roll (the term was an African American slang term for sexual intercourse) has it's roots in the blues, gospel, jazz, but sprang directly from the Rhythm and Blues of the late 40's and early 50's--indeed a lot of the early rock n roll hits "Shake Rattle n Roll", "That's Allright Mama" and others--were Rhythm and Blues hits first.

Buddy Holly (1950') preceded the Go Gos (1980's) by about 30 years--Elvis' first big hit was "That's Allright Mama" which had been cut before by Arthur "Big Boy" Cruddup so Elvis was a liar. The Beatles were doing Chuck Berry (Rock N Roll--his first hit "Maybellline" was a speeded up blues song he used to do called "Ida Red"--they also used to do Motown hits "You Really Got a Hold On Me" and "Mr. Postman" and a lot of Little Richard-

You have heard of Little Richard and Fats Domino, haven't you?

Stick with me. I'll set you straight.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2070

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't stick with you if you were glue - something you will one day be, you horse's ass. LOL Anyway, I asked for the evolution of Rock and Roll, and I made some observations. I wasn't challenging you. But I will if you want me to. I know The Go-Go came years after Buddy Holly, but the style of this girl group stemmed from Buddy Holly. The bottom line is that Rock and Roll is not Rhythm and Blues. Mainly because it sounds different. To me,it's bubble gum pop with the beat that so mesmerized the white bobbysoxers on The Dick Clark show back in the late 50s - about the time you were born. I guess Alan Freed who claims he coined the term Rock and Roll really got it from blacks. I wouldn't know. Do you??? Just as there is jazz fusion, it's possible that fusion occurs in other music genres.

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1073

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because you need to see it in black and white--but trust me, I was there--

Origins of rock and roll
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Rock and roll emerged as a defined musical style in America in the 1950s, though elements of rock and roll can be seen in rhythm and blues records as far back as the 1920s. Early rock and roll combined elements of blues, boogie woogie, jazz and rhythm and blues, and is also influenced by traditional folk music, gospel music, black and white, and country and western. Going back even further, rock and roll can trace a foundational lineage to the old Five Points district of mid-19th century New York City, the scene of the first fusion of heavily rhythmic African shuffles and sand dances with melody driven European genres, particularly the Irish jig.

[edit]
Origins of the name rock and roll
Rocking was a term first used by gospel singers in the American South to mean something akin to spiritual rapture. A double, ironic, meaning came to popular awareness in 1947 in blues artist Roy Brown's song "Good Rocking Tonight" (also covered the next year by Wynonie Harris in an even wilder version), in which "rocking" was ostensibly about dancing but was in fact a thinly-veiled allusion to sex. Such double-entendres were nothing new in blues music (which was mostly limited in exposure to jukeboxes and clubs) but were new to the radio airwaves. After the success of "Good Rocking Tonight" many other rhythm and blues artists used similar titles through the late 1940s including a song called "Rock and Roll" recorded by Wild Bill Moore in 1949. These songs were relegated to "race music" (the music industry code name for rhythm and blues) outlets and were barely known by mainstream white audiences. The phrase ' rock and roll' may first appear in a Louis Jordan version of Tamburitza Boogie recorded in New York City in 1950. In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio disc jockey Alan Freed would begin playing this type of music for his white audience, and it is Freed who is credited with coining the phrase "rock and roll" to describe the rollicking R&B music that he brought to the airwaves. The term, with its simultaneous allusions to dancing, sex, and the sound of the music itself, stuck even with those who didn't absorb all the meanings.

[edit]
First record
Main article: first rock and roll record

According to some, notably music historian Peter Guralnick, the first rock and roll record was "Rocket 88", by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats (written by 19-year-old Ike Turner, also the session leader) and recorded by Sam Phillips for the Sun Records label, in 1951. Many other records recorded in the same period are also contenders for this title. Others have pointed to the later broad commercial success with white audiences of Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" or "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and his Comets as true starting points. Still others point out that performers like Fats Domino were recording blues songs as early as 1949 that are indistinguishable from later rock and roll, and that these blues songs were based on themes, chord changes, and rhythms dating back decades before that. Rhythm and Blues sax player and band leader Louis Jordan actually broke into the country charts in the forties with "Is you is or is you ain't my baby?". In 1947 Jack Guthrie and his group The Oaklahomans had a hit with "The Oakie Boogie", basically a mix of boogie woogie with hillbilly and an electric guitar thrown in (a fairly new invention in 1947). Benny Carter, a co-author of "Cow Cow Boogie" (Capitol Records first gold single) back in 1942, wrote the jazz-swing song "Rock Me to Sleep" with Paul Vandervoort II in 1950.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_rock_and_roll"

Chrishayden
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 1074

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 05:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique:

Exactitude. Accuracy, Old Girl.

Buddy Holly was Rock N Roll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Holly

The Go Go's were punk/New Wave

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=11:a93tk6dx9krk

Putting them both together is like saying Gwendolyn Brooks is like Zane because they are both black women and both write.

Yes, the Go Go's and Holly are white and play guitars, but fans of one are not necessarily fans of the other

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2071

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:08 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All that article illustrates is that there are different schools of thought about this subject. I need to have my terms defined. The sticking point with me is that just because a white musician plays rhythm and blues this doesn't turn what he's playing into rock and roll; it just means that a white guy is playing R&B, just like when a black guy sings heavy metal. The music is the thing, not who's playing it. Rock and roll is distinctly different from rhythm and blues. And who can deny that all music originates from one note that mutates into different genres.The day you take a song by Cyndi Lauper down to the club and they prefer it over a song by Aretha Franklin is the day I will be impressed with your claims. Along these lines, is how all of the black male quartets back in the 60s say that they were blown away by the original harmonic stylings of the 4 Freshman and tried to pattern themselves after this legendary white jazz vocal group, but the black output came out differently - because of the song selection.

Rustang
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:50 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well put,Chris(I'm assuming that this is actually your name:-))To Cynique I would just add that to truly understand the evolution of rock and roll you have to look at the forms as well as the artists.It is generally conceded that rock around the clock was the first true rock and roll song that really cracked the charts wide open, and it is also widely accepted that Chuck Berry was the king of guitar oriented rock and roll and Little Richard was the king of piano oriented rock and roll.As things went,it turns out that the guitar is the primary instrument instead of the piano.There was a time,however, when it could have gone either way.I suppose that the deciding factor was the obvious fact that pianos weigh more than guitars which tipped the balance in favor of the guitar.But the forms of the music pre-date the actual music by a long stretch.Your basic rock and roll song then was either the 12 bar I,IV,V which is also your basic blues song,with the accent shifted to beats 2 and 4(backbeat) instead of beats 1 and 3,and the triple meter feel of the basic blues song came across as the duple meter that it actually is.Or the song would be what has come to be known as the doo wop turnaround,which is a 4 chord thing which goes I,iv,IV,V ,as in songs like Earth Angel,Little Darling,Runaround Sue,etc.,etc....This continued through the early and mid 60s.And in 67 there was Hendrix.People have heard things about him like 'best there ever was' and such,without really understanding the magnitude of his impact.They sort of assume that it was the skill with which he soloed that was the difference.And he did solo with an extrodinary degree of skill,but that was not what really set him apart from some of his peers like Clapton and Santana.He shifted the entire paradigm in many ways.Instead of the I,IV,V model or the I,iv,IV,V he frequently used the relative minor(iv)as the tonic,which you could call dropping I from the doowop thing,or starting in the relative minor key of what would have been the I,IV,V which changed the tonal center of the piece.He also,instead of using 'chops' or 'licks' as his primary soloing technique,he played beautifully flowing melodic lines.That's right.One doesn't normally see 'Hendrix' and 'beautifully flowing melodic lines' in the same sentence,but they sure should see it.He also raised the bar a tremendous amount on what was an acceptable rhythym figure for the background.You listen to songs like castles made of sand,axis:bold as love,or little wing and then listen to the stuff other people were doing during the same time period and it is simply head and shoulders above everything else out there by any applicable standard,except for the Beatles work from Sgt. Pepper on.They brought something entirely different to the table.They had McCartney that could write better songs in his sleep(yesterday) than most folks could with weeks of hard work,and Lennon that was not afraid of the newest technologies available and wrote songs that,while not as Pop oriented,did have social relevance.As far as I know,John Lennon was the only professional musician that a standing president(Nixon) had deported in preparation for the upcoming election(72)Now it's ok to get particular as well as articulate with your bellyaching about politicians.After the Beatles broke up and Hendrix died,there was a brief lull while the world tried to get it's mind around what it had just seen and heard,then you started seeing two things happen.R&B performers like the O'Jays and Marvin Gaye started getting much more direct in the social commentary of their music and rock bands like Pink Floyd and Yes started to try to follow the trail that Jimi had blazed for them.By the mid 70s a whole bunch of energy had been expended on the civil rights movement,the war in Viet Nam,Watergate,etc.,etc....and it seems like everyone had become very weary.And there was Disco.Got a good beat,easy to dance to,I give it a seven.But that was about all that it had to offer.Starting in the late 70s,punk rock and hip hop really began to crystalize as independant genres of expression.There were rappers as far back as the 60s and there was also punk rock performers like Iggy Pop,but the titles 'Punk Rock' and 'Hip Hop'hadn't really been stapled to them yet.Since this is about the evolution of rock and roll,we'll go with the punk rockers for a little while.What they did was boil everything back down to it's simplest elements,the I,IV,V and the lack of virtuoso performers and made it more an expression of angry and frustration.But,sadly,some of them started to actually make money at it and punk rock became a caricature of itself.There was one guy,Mark Knopfler(Dire Straits) that did not buy into the jaded,nihilistic viewpoint of the punk rockers and maintained an amazingly high degree of proficiency on his instrument and blended the traditional elements of rock and roll,blues and country/western with the Celtic forms(droning quality,no third,yet still in a distinctly minor key) he had heard growing up in Scotland and Great Britain.He pretty much kept rock alive until the bands like green day came along,which passed the torch to Kurt Cobain and company.The rest is pretty much common knowledge from there.I haven't said that much about anything for quite a while now,:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2072

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 07:01 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the G0-G0s very much capture the flavor of Buddy Holly. Different era, same ticky-tacky style. And since Punk Rock is an off-shoot of Rock N Roll, using your criteria, Punk Rock and even Grunge music has its roots in R&B. I still say Rock N Roll is white music and R&B is black music. The record industry agrees. As for who invented what, I suspect it depends on who's compiling the history.

Rustang
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Overall,I would have to agree that it frequently break down along racial lines.There were notable exceptions,though.The late 60s and early 70s saw a bunch of R&B that was also selling like crazy to the white kids,such as the Gladys Knight,Aretha Franklin,The Temptations ,etc...The first white band to have a #1 hit on the R&B charts came in the early 70s by Rare Earth.The pop charts now seem to be loaded down with R&B,which means there must be some white folks buying it also.But generally speaking,yeah,it's always been a race thing.And yes,this a very subjective thing,as far as who is significant and who is just filling up the airwaves until something decent comes along.I skipped over entirely Alice Cooper,the big hair metal guys of the 80s,lots of stuff.I guess the bottom line would be that if you take a traditional African tribal beat and play that behind a 14th century Celtic tune,the house is rockin',so don't bother knockin',just come on in.:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2073

Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This conversation is rather disjointed, Rustang, because my responses were all directed at Chris Hayden, not you. But I found what you had to say very interesting and I particularly liked your analogy about an African beat being played behind a Celtic melody. I further appreciate that you are speaking from experience as opposed to my ol nemesis Chris Hayden who always relies on passages from other sources to reinforce his contentions. That's because - he believes everything he reads. heh-heh. Me, just for the sake of argument, I simply look for loopholes when people start pontificating. (Surprise! Suprise!) Anyhoo, Chris' original gripe had to do with whether or not white people invented Rock and Roll. I'd say that early on, white musicians were influenced by the honky-tonk style of certain black musicians, and when these white musicians proceeded to divest this black style of music of its "soul", Voila! Rock and Roll was born!

Rustang
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 09:17 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Occassionally I also like to just shake the tree to see what will fall out of it.Sort of a hobby of mine.:-)I don't think that anyone with even the most superficial understanding of music history would make an ignorant statement like white people invented rock and roll.A musical genre is not like the light bulb,or the compact disc.Those you can look up who it was that applied for the first patent and there you go.Thomas Edison,employees of Sony.Not much argument on those.A gifted musician synthesizes the sum of his or her life experience and it's impact on them with every note and harmony that they've ever heard and reveal,by means of their skill on their chosen instrument,be it trumpet,guitar,voice,whatever,the content of their spirit.That,by it's very nature,transcends race and gender.That's why you don't really see the ugly face of racism pop up in gifted musicians.I think that the happiest song that I've ever heard in my life was an instrumental piece by a white dude named Eric Johnson.One drummer,one bass guitar and one screaming guitar.And I've seen people,black and white,connect with it on some level,because this is one happy white dude.I would recomend to anyone to give it a listen.Cliffs of Dover is the name of it.Music has always been a common ground that all share.Nobody invented it and all share in the sheer majesty of it,independant of how badly the ignorant redneck might hate that obvious fact.:-)

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2074

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Music has been called the universal language. And good music is good music. As to who invented what, I, too, find "invent" an inappropriate word to use when discussing the origins of a music genre. To paraphrase my previous opinion, Rock and Roll probably had a "funky" black daddy and was nurtured by a "deodorized" white mommy, and the outcome was an blended sound that was born rather than invented.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2285

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 11:20 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

Interesting discussion (Rusty, mucho props for your detailed dissertation of the evolution of Rock’s musical timing/notation).

But, after all the posts, I’m still not sure whether which is the primary argument: What is the DEFINITION of Rock n' Roll or what is the SOURCE of it.

I might concur with Cynique that White Rock and Black Blues/R&B differ. I agree Rock started out as White guys imitating Black Blues singers then evolved into many other manifestations; largely in response to changing times, tastes and influences (e.g., drugs, wars, etc.).

However, FEW credible authorities, White/Black/other, would argue that White Rock (whatever it has evolved into today) is not born from Black Blues.

There is a reason why Black Blues greats like Bo Diddly, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed, B.B. King are amongst the very first inductees in Cleveland’s Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. There's a reason why Chuck Berry - in spite of his Peeping Tom incident - is worshipped the world over.

Those men are foundation of Rock music.

And I’d agree that great Country singers like Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Willie Nelson have influenced Rock (though, some argue that even Country is the product of Blues). And even Elvis was mostly a country singer except he had the style and coordination of a (mediocre) Black performer.

But Country is at best Rock’s older sibling. Blues is its daddy!

PS: Cynique. Are you EARNESTLY attempting to argue The Rolling Stones is NOT Rock music but the Go Go’s IS? If so…HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2086

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, ABM, I'm not arguing that. The Rolling Stones are an amalgamation of many styles; they are simply the Rolling Stones, a group who significantly took their name from a song by Blues great, Muddy Waters. The Go-Gos and Bangles are "lite" rockers as opposed to the likes of Joan Jett and Pat Benatar and Grace Slick. Then, there's Janis Joplin and Stevie Nicks. Like the Rolling Stones, these artists kinda defy classification. And there may be some significance to the fact that now this genre of music tends to refer to itself as just "Rock" rather than of Rock and Roll. No doubt about Beach and Surf music, though; strickly a white domain.

Abm
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2288

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cynique,

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Because the Go-Go's thing appeared to be the 'Achilles' to some otherwise stout reasoning. :-)

BTW: R/R Hall of Famer Elton John credited the Beach Boys and my relative Charles Stepney with being the major influences/inspirations on his career.

Yvettep
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Yvettep

Post Number: 91

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question: If a muscician plays in an empty subway station, does she/he make any sound?

A way to say: is it possibly the commercialization of music, the need to put it into packages and promote it and sell it to others, that results in its categorization?

When I lived in Germany I'd occassionally go into record stores where there were no categories, just artists arranged alphabetically. Then again, there were other stores there with the category "Black Music" (in English) that included everything from Ray Charles to the Gap Band to Jimi Hendrix...

Kola_boof
Username: Kola_boof

Post Number: 93

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 04:38 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Black Americans invented ALL MUSIC in the United States....ALLL OF IT.

Anything not invented by Black Americans in American music is EUROPEAN and is FROM Europe...not America.

Bach and Handle and all those men are EUROPEANS---they didn't create any music over here.

blackcoupledanceing

Country and Western "shit-kicker" music came from the White Appalachians, Hillbillies and DixieCrats STEALING from their banjo-playing, fiddle-playing SLAVES and EX-SLAVES.....who were the ones that played bagpipes and fiddles during the 1600's to 1800's on the U.S. plantations.

White Country artists "slap their knees"----because they got it from blacks. They Do-SEE-doh, because that's an African dance. They use CALL AND RESPONSE, which is clearly African, in their Country and Western Songs.

The White American has not invented ANY MUSIC in this country---all American music is BLACK MUSIC.

And if you really want to get on it...so is all SPANISH 3rd world Music, Brazilian, West Indian, Mexican.....ALL OF IT...is African music, from Black People.

My only disagreement is with those who claim that BLACK AMERICAN musical forms....come directly from and were created through African musical forms.

I disagree, because the institution of SLAVERY itself created a BRAND NEW nexxus in the way that Blacks in America created and used music. They had a vast unique experience that was TOTALLY Un-African and Un-White.....and out of it (slavery).....the Black Americans created something that the Blacks in BRAZIL and the WEST INDIES were not able to create.

The pain of slavery....created SOUL.

And it is uniquely and specifically BLACK AMERICAN.

The WHOLE PLANET tries to steal it.

Kola_boof

Post Number: 94

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The BLACK AMERICANS have surpassed "All Humans"...when it comes to music.

Now go to Africa and ask any African and they will tell you the same thing.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2088

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who originated the hymns the pilgrims were singing in their churchs, Kola? You know, if you didn't make such totally ridiculous claims then I wouldn't need to take you on. Render unto Black what is black, and unto white what is white. I really resent you appointing yourself as spokes person for black people because your so totally irrational.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 101

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 06:24 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh please, you Half-Scottish Plymouth Rock Prostitute!!!

Those Hymns that Pilgrims sang in Church originated in EUROPE......and are EUROPEAN music......and no White People ANYWHERE in the U.S. sing that dried up shit anymore. Not even the most straight-laced churches.

Just walk in and you'll hear them singing pop tunes like "We've Only Just Begun" with Jesus name INSERTED.

BLAH!

ALLLLLLL American music comes from/came from association with BLACK AMERICANS. The only thing White People contributed was....the language.

And I am a not spokesperson for anybody but KOLA.

That's why I told you to take your behind over to Africa and ASK FOR YOURSELF what they think.

Dey tell you de same thang, Yankee Drat!

WHITE PEOPLE didn't even know how to FUCK until they met Black People from Africa.

And that's the damned truth---which led them to make up the phrase "Sexy Part of the Bible".

A reference to West African women and their full lips and big butts.

That was in the 1400's.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2092

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you know what songs derived from those hyms? You don't know shit. And considering how full you of it you are, that's amazing. All you are capable of conceiving is the world according to Kola, who incidentally probably did more than her share of teaching white men how to fuck, trying to cash in on that deformed cess pool she calls a vagina and that wasn't satisfying enough to keep Thomas around.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 105

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 06:43 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WELL LOOK AT YOU and PANDORA!!!!

Cynqiue and Pandora

A grown ass MOTHER....LAID OUT on concrete because she cant' stay away from the bottle.

YOU'VE GOT A LOT OF DAMNED NERVE.

Kola_boof
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And if I taught ANYBODY how to "fuck"....it was your HUSBAND.

Just dig out those divorce papers he filed and then stopped (now that pay ALL BILLS).....and read it again carefully, CRUELLA.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2095

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 07:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought you knew me and Pandora were the same person, Air Head. And, oh yes, my husband confessed that one night with you was enough because going to bed with you was like wrestling with the daughter of a gorilla who had been raped by a black mamba snake.
I'm gone for real, Bye-bye.

Rustang
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 11:01 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is one influence that is conspicuously missing in this little discussion.It is suprisingly easy to forget that when the first europeans showed up,there were already nearly 100 million people living here with their own highly developed culture,which,unfortunately,did not include a technology oriented war department.It did however include a rich musical tradition.The use of the pentatonic scale in rock and roll is much more similar to the native american useage than it is to european treatment in the classical and baroque eras.The average person in america between 1650 and 1850 would almost have to have been more intimately exposed to native american music than they would have been to european style chamber orchestras.What conclussions can be drawn from that,I couldn't really say with any certainty,but it seems relevant to me.

Cynique
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 2097

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 03:13 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I plead total ignorance about the Native American body of music, Rustang, except for knowing they played tom-toms. Did they play any other instruments? Flutes(?) And is "chanting" their form of singing?? I'm all for giving ethnics credit for their contributions to American music. That's why I maintain Blue Grass country music and California surfer music are original genres. But I, in no way, mean to minimize the ubiquitous influence of black music.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright © 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com