Kathleen Cross on Dr. Phil arguing wi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » Kathleen Cross on Dr. Phil arguing with Dr. Bill (Cosby that is) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kathleen_cross
Veteran Poster
Username: Kathleen_cross

Post Number: 58

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 03:35 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As crazy as this sounds and as strange as the timing is...

I'm going to be on Dr. Phil today (Monday, January 24) disagreeing with some things Bill Cosby said last summer.

I hope y'all can tune in... and I hope I don't get slaughtered in the editing room if you know what I mean.

Though Cosby and I disagreed a bit during the show, my daughters and I spent over an hour talking to him backstage after the show, and I was really impressed with how genuine and down-to-earth he was.

For local station/time info visit www.drphil.com

A_womon
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: A_womon

Post Number: 1218

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:53 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Kathleen,

Congrats, I'll be at work so I can't watch the show. I'll try to tape it though.
:-( Hey, you never did answer my last email back. What's up? I know you're probably very busy these days, but holla back when you get a chance.

Peace!

Moonsigns
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Moonsigns

Post Number: 490

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Though I have never watched a show of Dr. Phil's, I tuned in today.
When you, Kathleen, mentioned something to the extent of our "inaction" being "indictable", I feel that is what Cosby has tried to convey from the jump.
I like Bill Cosby, I think he is genuine. I also believe his heart is in the right place. The message may be rough, but nevertheless, it is true and parents MUST take care of their responsiblities.
Interesting show.

Troy
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Troy

Post Number: 215

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen I'm sorry I missed this -- I could have taped it were I aware of the broadcast sooner.

Can you convey some of what was said?

Kathleen_cross
Veteran Poster
Username: Kathleen_cross

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 05:07 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Troy, Sorry for the late notice, but we weren't given a definite air date at the taping.

Although I was there to "argue" with Cosby's message, I couldn't knock him for what I believe he was trying to say. I addressed a few points that bothered me most, but of course I didn't "fight" with him. (Who's gonna fight with daddy huxtable on national tv?)

I said that I felt like he used a lot of "You, they, those people" statements in his speeches and not many "We, us, our children" statements.

I was bothered that he got laughs in front of a crowd of middle and upper income audience members, but the folks he was talking so harshly about couldn't afford a ticket to the event. Why not go to Watts and say those things to the people you're saying them about?

During the show I mentioned that I agree that parents who don't parent and kids who misbehave...that their actions are certainly indictable, but that as a community our INaction is also indictable.

The best part of the conversation between Cosby and I occurred after the show when we got a chance to just "kick it" for over an hour backstage.

I told him that I was mostly disturbed by a comment he'd made that "lower economic blacks weren't holding up their end" (as if everyone else is) I said I thought upper income blacks tend to take their money and head for the hills (literally here in Cali) They are buying their homes in majority white neighborhoods and spending their millions in white-owned businesses -- which leaves the inner-city further debilitated economically. (How much more of our money does Jacob the jeweler really need??)

I mentioned to him that I admire Earvin Johnson for his business strategy of buiilding restaurants and coffee houses in areas of the community where no one dares to risk their capital. Magic is providing jobs for black youths and that translates into REAL economic development where it is so much needed.

I also mentioned the publisher of Rolling Out magazine, Munson Steed, who provides a community-based outlet (his paper is published in 19 major US cities) for entrepreneurs, community servants, students and others to be showcased and honored. Rolling Out ( www.rollingout.com ) also sponsors young entrepreneurs conferences, parenting workshops and other community-building endeavors. Cosby agreed wealthy blacks should be more creative and agressive in helping to deal with systemic issues that contribute to the cycle of poverty and ignorance that's crushing our young people.

ONe thing I do want to say about Dr. Cosby is that the man has a huge heart, and it was really apparent to everyone in the studio that day.

After our segment (towards the end of the show) Cosby was seated on stage with Phil and he stood up and said, "Where's Kathleen?" Cosby walked down the catwalk to come pull me out of the audience to hug me and I asked him to mention on air that I'm an author of two novels (-- and HE DID. Dr. Phil then asked me to name the titles, which, of course I did.!!!

Unfortunately, that got edited out.

But, overall it was a great experience.

Carey
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Carey

Post Number: 420

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Kathleen

I am sorry to hear that your book pub got axed. I am curious, how were you introduced? I know you are a "speaker" by profession so tell us, how did you come to be invited to the show. I know you have to much class to toot your own horn but damn girl, you should have been wearing a "Schooling Carmen" T-shirt or sumptin' *smile*. Seriously, were you introduced as simply a public speaker on various issues and if so, what is your specialty. I know, to answer this question might require you to talk-up yourself but hey, we family.....right.

Btw, did you get a chance to read the posts on your new book?

Anyway, if you'll not say it I will. Your new book is a very good read and I suggest those that have not read it do so. I did however have a little negative feedback and since you've lost a brotha's e-mail address I guess I'll just have to tell it to the walls of my lonely room. Hey, everyone I've turned the book onto has loved it, that's right. They've all called me back asking about your next one. That reminds me........your next one *smile*. Hush Thump, a man has to do what a man has to do. That sounds like a good title for a book...... or has someone already done that?

Kathleen, it's always great to have you drop by, thanks.

Carey

Carey
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Carey

Post Number: 421

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A_womon

You have an e-mail address? That's news to me *smile*

**kisses kisses** **hug hug**

A_womon
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: A_womon

Post Number: 1222

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 03:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carey,

Kisses and hugs back to you!

Kathleen,

GONE witcha bad self! I am so glad that you said all that you did to Mr Cosby. It is as if you were representin' us up on Thump's Corner! BRAVO!

BUT-- You forgot to say what Mr. Cosby's response was.

Peace! :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com