I really need the fam on this one Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Email This Page

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

AALBC.com's Thumper's Corner Discussion Board » Culture, Race & Economy - Archive 2005 » I really need the fam on this one « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Linda
AALBC .com Platinum Poster
Username: Linda

Post Number: 94

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 01:46 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone

I'll try to be brief as I know there will be many questions once I ask for this favor. Many of you know I have been working on a true story that happened in 1965 in Mound Bayou, Mississippi. Without giving all the particulars I can say the book will be released this June. I will begin taking pre-orders soon. But the favor I need is this. Mound Bayou celebrates it's 128th year of existence as the largest black town on July 12. I will be there to dedicate the book and make a contribution of personal interest to me to the family. But due to the fact that Mound Bayou is swimming in poverty I have this wonderful idea. I will be asking for donations for books to give away, especially some childrens books to the schools as well as monetary gifts to help buy much needed supplies and maybe a few computers, heck I don't know what ever I can get (except clothes, etc...money and books only) to help put a smile back on some of the people's faces. On all of my visits while doing research many went out of their way to make me comfortable, some giving me what they couldn't really afford too and I was humbled. There is so much history I can not begin to explain how I feel about this town and what it stands for. I thank the almightly that he lead me off the road and into such a haven of pride on one of my travels. I know not all of why I was sent there, but I am glad I was. So please, when and if you can would you all think about helping me with this project. I won't start setting up everything until Feb 1, 2005. So I will be acting quickly...I just want to know if you all will help. And I would really love it if some of you came in July to see for yourself how great a place it really is.

If interested please email Linda@aalbc.com or mail me at: Linda Watkins, 415 E. 32nd Street, Indianapolis, IN 46205.

*You may also send your donations and/or books to this address. Please include your name or organization so that you may receive mention on the display plague I also plan to donate to the town hall.* (I will send out receipts as well)

Linda

Post Number: 95

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I need to make a correction...this is the 118th year anniversary. Mound Bayou was founded in 1887.

A_womon
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: A_womon

Post Number: 1220

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Linda,

Im not making any promises, but I will try my best to help, as much as my finances will allow.

Good Luck!

Linda

Post Number: 96

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Awoman and please spread the word. Every little bit helps!

Sisg
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Sisg

Post Number: 165

Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 09:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too! Linda, but i will email you offline as well. It's a wonderful thing you are doing and i'll do my best to help.

Carey
"Cyniquian" Level Poster
Username: Carey

Post Number: 423

Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Linda

What a wonderful idea! I am always looking for places of interest to visit and I am going to put that on my calender....really! Yes, I am going to try and make that date. Don't be surprised if I pop up and say, "hi linda, I am Carey, how are you". Where exactly is this place ( lazy me, I could look on a map huh). I guess I am asking about flights in or should I travel by car. I suppose I could always get close and then rent a car. Wait a minute, that sounds like money.....ahhh Linda, could a brotha get a loan? Seriously, what larger city is close by. I used to be stationed in Biloxi (sp) Miss., it's on the gulf. I hope it's not that far south.

Yeah, you've peaked my interest. It sounds like something I would be interested in experiencing. Now if you could swing a couple of free rooms I am in there......just kidding.......*wink*.

gotta keep up my image

Carey

Linda

Post Number: 97

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:21 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Carey

No it's not as far south as Biloxi. It's in the Delta, close to Cleveland, not far from Clarksdale, Rosedale, Francis Turn, Round Lake, Shelby, Alligater, Merrigold, about 2 hrs from Jackson...think civil rights and small towns and you got it. So plan on flying in to Jackson, renting and driving. LOL. Now, about that loan...(forehead wrinkled) well, maybe after I help try to raise the 3 million plus that is needed so desperately in Mound Bayou I can spare a few pennies and a sack of pecans.

Libralind2
First Time Poster
Username: Libralind2

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Linda. I met you in Columbus, Ohio when you were sitting with Khari. What a wonderful project.
Linda Chavis

Linda

Post Number: 100

Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 01:57 am:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Linda Chavis. Nice to hear from you and thanks so much for your kind words. I am really excited about the Mound Bayou project and hope everyone will lend their support to help. How are things going in Columbus?

Libralind2
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 07:35 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Linda, Khari is holding it down with some tough topics on his show. Im not sure you remember but I run a afterschool/literacy program for children located in low income housing projects. We now have three centers and its going well. Some authors are helping us with a fundraiser later in the year. Perhaps you can attend.? More details to come.
Linda From Ohio

Libralind2
Newbie Poster

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 07:40 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Linda, as you finalize your project give me a holla so I can put the word out on the 5 groups Im on.
Plus Im going to get our kids at my program involved somehow. Maybe we can do a book drive.
Linda From Ohio

Linda
"Cyniquian" Level Poster

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Linda. I'll keep you posted and I would love for the children in your programs to become involved. Email me: Linda@aalbc.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

Advertise | Chat | Books | Fun Stuff | About AALBC.com | Authors | Getting on the AALBC | Reviews | Writer's Resources | Events | Send us Feedback | Privacy Policy | Sign up for our Email Newsletter | Buy Any Book (advanced book search)

Copyright 1997-2008 AALBC.com - http://aalbc.com